It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you hate yourselves?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

Kids need to be taught early that they have the potential to be and do anything. We do.

Imagine what a world with children brought up like that would be like?

Kids need to be taught to love themselves truely. That starts with the parents accepting and loving themselves. Society needs to do this too.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: fluff007

Kids need to be taught early that they have the potential to be and do anything. We do.

Imagine what a world with children brought up like that would be like?

Kids need to be taught to love themselves truely. That starts with the parents accepting and loving themselves. Society needs to do this too.

Such is the danger of teaching evolution. It not only implies that we already have the answer, but even worse it claims we are meaningless mutant monkeys that have no purpose other than to dominate and pursue hedonism because one day we re-enter an eternal nothingness anyway.

"Go have fun kids, and remember, survival of the fittest - first one to oppress and destroy a perceived genetically inferior community gets a cookie!"

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Of course you are entitled to that opinion but I strongly disagree.

We had our fears. We knew about the cold war and Russia. We knew about Iran. Vietnam was just ending as I readied to register. We knew a lot of things. But we kept doing what we had to do. It didn't paralyze us. The media is far worse today than in the past. Of course there was never a time when government allowed any media to tell the whole truth about anything. But I think people the likes of Walter Cronkite were fairly trustworthy.

You also have to take in to consideration that civic duty and pride in our nation was much more pervasive than it is today. People wanted to believe and have faith in our nation. Today it seems like people will only be happy if they find a way to smear every name and destroy the very fabric of our society.

I saw the race riots of the '60's. I remember Black Panthers in my neighborhood. I remember the day they started busing students from the inner city to my school and I remember the protests. I remember people burning draft cards. We had our share of dissent. We weren't blind, misled or ignorant. We were just better prepared to deal with it.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Civic duty and pride in a nation is the result of faith in the nation and its institutions. You can't have it both ways.

You can carry on with your generational blame game if you want, it won't change anything and it doesn't make your opinion a fact.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13
a reply to: silo13

I came to the conclusion because throughout recent recorded history we don't see A.I. or Aliens destroying the human experience more then humans on this planet...

Yeah, but who knows what these so called aliens have done to their own.

It just gets rather boring when someone continually puts down the human race and thinks there's some 'race' of 'thing' out there that's 'bigger and better'.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

True we don't know the objective truth of potential Aliens past and how they treat each other.
My basis of the discussion with mentioning them or artificial intelligence was to convey that basically humans seem to do a good job of hating themselves and showing it. I was not putting down the human species at all silo13.

I know humanity has great qualities it just seems part of the species are stuck on segregation and hating each other.

posted on Dec, 1 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Actually we hate ourselves deep down because we are just sh__ machines, being set up for the slaughter.

Were fearful, frieghtened, ignorant and undeveloped creatures between animal and human.

All those excuses for hating others is just psychological displacement.

We hate our vulnerability

We hate our ignorance

Our mortality

Our fears

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Actually we hate ourselves deep down because we are just sh__ machines, being set up for the slaughter.

Were fearful, frieghtened, ignorant and undeveloped creatures between animal and human.

All those excuses for hating others is just psychological displacement.

We hate our vulnerability

We hate our ignorance

Our mortality

Our fears

We are love-making machines but we literally F$%^ that up too. The fact we struggle to get along with the other sex despite all the built in machinery that says we should, demonstrates how much we have deviated from the natural loving formula that should be transmitting through our brains.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Civic duty and pride in a nation is the result of faith in the nation and its institutions. You can't have it both ways.

You can carry on with your generational blame game if you want, it won't change anything and it doesn't make your opinion a fact.

I do see your point. But I still believe that my generation was generally more capable of dealing with the sense of impending doom than the current generation. Its not blame as much as observation.

Faith is not the absence of dissent. It is continuing to believe in the presence of dissent.
edit on 2-12-2017 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
I do see your point. But I still believe that my generation was generally more capable of dealing with the sense of impending doom than the current generation. Its not blame as much as observation.

I think it takes on the character of blame when you paint with such a broad brush.

The point I was addressing wasn't the capacity to deal with impending doom but the fact that the many people from older generations had faith in their government.

Faith is not the absence of dissent. It is continuing to believe in the presence of dissent.

You make it sound like your entire generation were dissenters. Sure there were some and the funny part is that some older people back then judged them in a similar fashion to what you are doing.
edit on 2-12-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I think it takes on the character of blame when you paint with such a broad brush.

The point I was addressing wasn't the capacity to deal with impending doom but the fact that the many people from older generations had faith in their government.

You make it sound like your entire generation were dissenters. Sure there were some and the funny part is that some older people back then judged them in a similar fashion to what you are doing.

If that is how you read my words, then I did not convey my point correctly. I apologize for the confusion.

My statement was meant to say that most of my generation did have faith, even though we had our share of dissent in various forms. My comparison to this generation is that it seems more likely to side with the dissenters than have faith in the country. When I say that I am thinking of the many protests and violence and hatred. But that does not indicate how many people do not take part in those acts. Credit should be given where it is due.

posted on Dec, 2 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

The original post said:

Every generation has its fears of some global tragedy. This generation is the first to be completely unable to deal with it.

Seemed pretty broad and general.

I asked, "What do you mean deal with it?". In the context of the thread, nothing has been dealt with. Government is still corrupt, there is a lot of division and young people are being sent to kill and die in foreign lands.

This brought me to the idea that older generations just accepted things because of the same faith you brought up. That allowed them to be led around by their noses. In this post you make it seem like resisting being led around (although they might still be, just by a different leader) is a bad thing.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

The original post said:

Every generation has its fears of some global tragedy. This generation is the first to be completely unable to deal with it.

Seemed pretty broad and general.

I asked, "What do you mean deal with it?". In the context of the thread, nothing has been dealt with. Government is still corrupt, there is a lot of division and young people are being sent to kill and die in foreign lands.

This brought me to the idea that older generations just accepted things because of the same faith you brought up. That allowed them to be led around by their noses. In this post you make it seem like resisting being led around (although they might still be, just by a different leader) is a bad thing.

It does seem pretty broad and general. Unfortunately I don't have actual numbers regarding the phenomenon so I have to stick to what I see as the majority while acknowledging that it does not represent the whole.

By 'deal with it' I mean knowing there is a threat(s) but still being able to function and not lose faith in the nation. With so many people needing safe spaces and therapy dogs for something as simple as an opinion contrary to their own it makes me wonder how much this generation can really tolerate and still function. In my day it wouldn't take much to get people to rally around the flag and show their pride. Today it seems like it would be much easier to get people to rally around a burning flag than a flying one.

I can honestly say I do not believe I have been led around by the nose, but that does not mean no one tried. I think the incident at Chappaquiddick was the first time I really felt like I was supposed to just accept what I was told and walk away. I didn't. Even as a child I knew I was being lied to and I didn't like it.

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

It does seem pretty broad and general. Unfortunately I don't have actual numbers regarding the phenomenon so I have to stick to what I see as the majority while acknowledging that it does not represent the whole.

I doubt you have seen the "majority" do anything, ever. It is just physically impossible. You might have seen a vocal minority, and a very small one at that.

By 'deal with it' I mean knowing there is a threat(s) but still being able to function and not lose faith in the nation.

Sounds like what I said, deal with it by ignoring it. Sticking your head in the sand isn't really dealing with anything.

With so many people needing safe spaces and therapy dogs for something as simple as an opinion contrary to their own it makes me wonder how much this generation can really tolerate and still function. In my day it wouldn't take much to get people to rally around the flag and show their pride. Today it seems like it would be much easier to get people to rally around a burning flag than a flying one.

Burning or flying, it is still just a piece of cloth. Anyone rallying around either is being lead around by the nose.

I can honestly say I do not believe I have been led around by the nose

Most people don't, even if they have.

Also, how did this go from you speaking for entire generations to you personally?
edit on 3-12-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

I doubt you have seen the "majority" do anything, ever. It is just physically impossible. You might have seen a vocal minority, and a very small one at that.

The majority of what I see....this is getting kind of ridiculous now. I think you knew what I meant.

Sounds like what I said, deal with it by ignoring it. Sticking your head in the sand isn't really dealing with anything.

No, its not at all like what you said. Barricading yourself in a safe space is burying your head in the sand. Those are people that are not functioning, they are hiding. My generation did not need coddled. It wasn't because we were blind to the threats, its because we weren't a bunch of pussies.

Burning or flying, it is still just a piece of cloth. Anyone rallying around either is being lead around by the nose.

And there we have it. No, its not just a piece of cloth. It is the symbol of our nation and it should be treated with respect, whether you think so or not.

Most people don't, even if they have.

I hope you are speaking for yourself because you sure as hell don't represent me.

Also, how did this go from you speaking for entire generations to you personally?

You were talking in generations so I responded in kind. You complained that it was broad stroking so I personalized it and you complained about that too. I guess you are just about ready for a crying room and a pizza huh...

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Actually I thought you meant everyone since you are labeling the majority of an entire generation.

My first post in this thread was to you speaking about the present generation so it couldn't have been you responding to me speaking in generations.

And yes there we have my opinion and only my opinion. I don't pretend to speak on behalf of the majority of entire generations. Now that would be rediculous.
edit on 3-12-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

There is a dialogue going on in the head.

Over here we just call it an overactive Imagination.
edit on 3-12-2017 by Sapphire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire
Over here we just call it an overactive Imagination.

If you have not noticed that there is a dialogue going on in your head then the argumentative mind has not been seen - if there is conflict within there can be no harmony without.

'I hate myself' - how many of 'you' are there? Who is talking to who?
Notice that there seems to be 'someone in there' telling 'you' off. Notice the back and forth dialogue, is one a victim and the other a bully? With all this going on, can there be any peace?

Watch the video!

Each of us is something of a schizophrenic personality, tragically divided against ourselves.
Martin Luther King. Jr.
edit on 4-12-2017 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I did not read any posts prior to mine.

Because we are born of the violence of creation. We are violent, we are chaos, we are a rolling mess.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Possible immature traits related to being the youth of Creation.
More maturity I believe will occur, which may bring better outcomes for the Spirits here manifested in the form of mankind...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join