It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the world has gone and changed around me

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
no # right? we all know it and every generation has experienced it but i was laying down trying to fall out after a 3rd shift anf i couldnt. mind was just racing and for some reason i started to think about how # was 30 years ago when i was a kid. it seems so bizarre that these things are just gone. not just things...

do you remember the soda machines that would spit out a bottle and it had an opener on the machine?
now you can pay with bluetooth or if you work at a certain company you can use your microchip

remember when you could smoke in restaurants and malls. IN PLANES!!!

remember when you could just pull up to the pump, flip the lever up, pump then pay.
now it is pay first but while you pump you an watch flat panel screens

paper or plastic

having someone actually bag your groceries.....a little further back and they carry it to your car

lap belts

pencil and paper

writing checks and balancing checkbooks

going to the video store and then grabbing a pie for a night in

looking for jobs in the classified newspaper ads

applying for jobs in person by filling out an application

i dont know man....pointless thread i know but i have been thinking about it a lot lately.

do you think we have changed/progressed more in the last 25 years than in any other 25 year block before that?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I used to pump jockey at a full service station. When a car pulled in it ran over a compressed air line and ding-ding, I came running to pump gas, wash windows, check tires and under hood if requested.

We had two unlocked bathrooms cleaned twice daily, we gave directions, and we had free roadmaps and soda machine that dispensed bottles of your favorite pop.

When they were done they handed a credit card or cash thru the window and I made change from a locked outdoor till or ran their credit card, handing a tray to them with pen to sign their receipt.

People nowadays have never known that kind of service and respect, have no clue how to behave towards each other.

I'm not surprised about at that at all.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

i remember those.
pull up to full service and they fill you up. check your tires. do your glass.
pretty cool

i think now if you have a handicapped tag they can come out and fill you up.
not positive

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

We have become a zombified consumer dependent society, where we now rely on external things for practically everything.

Less human, if you will.

30 years ago if you wiped everything off the planet, not much would change. Kids would still be climbing trees and rolling around in the dirt.

Now if you just take away those demonic devices (smartphones - which ironically makes you dumber) from everybody's hands, people would literally turn insane and not know what to do with themselves.

So, did we progress or regress? I think we went in a bunch of different directions - good and bad.

edit on 28-11-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

No love for arcades???

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

No love for arcades???

Oh man! If a mall didn't have an arcade and pinball machines, it was a mall just not worth going too!!

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Anyone remember when you could use someone else's credit card and the store wouldn't find out that it was stolen until, like, a month later ?

Ah the good ol' days.

It's so hard to be a criminal now in this new digital age of instant processing.

*sigh*

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

No love for arcades???

loved arcades when i was younger. i loved getting dropped off with a stack of quarters and getting down. pole position was my jam

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
do you remember the soda machines that would spit out a bottle and it had an opener on the machine?
now you can pay with bluetooth or if you work at a certain company you can use your microchip

Not glass bottle machines, but I do remember when a vending machine of any kind wasn't ripping you off for $1.75 a can of soda or $2 a candy bar.

remember when you could smoke in restaurants and malls. IN PLANES!!!

No to the planes, but yes to the restaurants/malls. As a former smoker, I actually don't miss this one.

remember when you could just pull up to the pump, flip the lever up, pump then pay.
now it is pay first but while you pump you an watch flat panel screens

Theft prevention, can't really blame them on that one.

paper or plastic

I don't ever remember anyone asking this one. "Cash or credit", though...

having someone actually bag your groceries.....a little further back and they carry it to your car

I'm actually VERY glad they don't anymore and prefer bagging my own. Damned baggers couldn't properly bag items, especially fragile ones, if their f#ig lives depended on it. Worst people at it were always the seniors (old folks) Wanna make me twitch and say "That's ok, allow me"? Throw eggs/bread/berries/glass in with cans/heavy items.

lap belts

That and riding in the pick-up bed!

pencil and paper

If you're missing them, chances are I own half the annual output in my house.

writing checks and balancing checkbooks

Yep, another one going the way of the dodo.

going to the video store and then grabbing a pie for a night in

Netflix & delivery is the big thing now.

looking for jobs in the classified newspaper ads

applying for jobs in person by filling out an application

To be fair, both of these seemed to drop in practice quite sharply about 15 years ago. I think only mom & pop places bother with either anymore.

do you think we have changed/progressed more in the last 25 years than in any other 25 year block before that?

To a point. Some changes are more for business security like the pay then pump routine, others like apply online are more laziness, I think. Either way, they're both the easier choices for businesses, so I can't blame anyone there.
edit on 11/28/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Saving and collecting Green Stamps and placing them in the books.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The first time a cashier asked me paper or plastic, I thought she was talking about credit cards and cash.

We actually go to the Jubilee gas station, they pump your gas, wash your window, and have both regular and premium non-alcohol gas. The regular alcohol free fuel is a quarter more than the alcohol stuff and we get better gas mileage and the car seems to run smoother. The corngas is the same price as the other stations and they pump the gas. Their corn free premium is actually cheaper than the other stations and it is pumped by them.

I guess we go there for nostalgia reasons. You can pay cash at the end or you can use a credit card if you want.

We still write checks and balance the checkbooks, we do not have a debit card, don't even want one. Cash or check usually, sometimes we have to use a credit card, but not very often.
edit on 28-11-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I miss the days where you could go to the corner store with a dollar and get a pop, bag of chips, and a chocolate bar.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
When I was a little kid, there was a milkman that brought milk to Grandmas house every few days. You know, the kind in the glass bottles and they leave them in the silver box.

I also remember going to the butcher store to buy meat. Where us kids would get free pretzel sticks. woohoo

so called grocery stores just had the staples like dried goods and flour and stuff.

and the 3 channels on tv always had something good on....

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
I miss the days where you could go to the corner store with a dollar and get a pop, bag of chips, and a chocolate bar.

Are you a Yooper, you called it a pop?

I used to stop at burger king after work and get two hamburgers and a water for less than a buck. Go back farther and we would go to a restaurant for a malt and they gave you the big mixing cup with enough left to refill the malt glass....again under a buck. Now a cup of coffee is over a buck and a half most places. There is one restaurant here where you can still get a malt that way, it is my house, I have two commercial malt machines, one four head and one single head, and six or seven malt cups.

When I was a kid, a sixteen oz bottle of pop was seven cents plus a two cent deposit on the glass bottle. The Hershey bars were five cents and as big if not bigger than the buck and a half ones today. But we were cheap, they sold a cheaper kind for three cents and they were actually better tasting, I think they were Mr. Goodbars. Chips were always expensive they were fifteen cents, but there was a lot of chips in the bag. That was back in the early to mid sixties.
edit on 28-11-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The good ole S&H Green Stamps! Who could forget those?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: DBCowboy

The good ole S&H Green Stamps! Who could forget those?

WE still have some of those stamps around here somewhere in a drawer. I bet our daughters will wonder what they are when they throw them away after we die. They came from my mothers junk, so they were ours.

I got an old Hibachi grill yet that we use occasionally, remember those? It doesn't take hardly any charcoal to use that grill to make burgers or dogs.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Anyone remember when you could use someone else's credit card and the store wouldn't find out that it was stolen until, like, a month later ?

Ah the good ol' days.

It's so hard to be a criminal now in this new digital age of instant processing.

*sigh*

Poor criminals... my sympathies to them 🙄

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

Are you a Yooper, you called it a pop?

I used to stop at burger king after work and get two hamburgers and a water for less than a buck. Go back farther and we would go to a restaurant for a malt and they gave you the big mixing cup with enough left to refill the malt glass....again under a buck. Now a cup of coffee is over a buck and a half most places. There is one restaurant here where you can still get a malt that way, it is my house, I have two commercial malt machines, one four head and one single head, and six or seven malt cups.

When I was a kid, a sixteen oz bottle of pop was seven cents plus a two cent deposit on the glass bottle. The Hershey bars were five cents and as big if not bigger than the buck and a half ones today. But we were cheap, they sold a cheaper kind for three cents and they were actually better tasting, I think they were Mr. Goodbars. Chips were always expensive they were fifteen cents, but there was a lot of chips in the bag. That was back in the early to mid sixties.

Im a tad bit younger than you, but sounds close to what i remember price wise, i could also get 100 assorted candys for a buck, now you pay them by the weigth.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I always thought "Paper or plastic" was asked about whether you wanted your groceries in a paper bag or a plastic bag?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Nyiah

I always thought "Paper or plastic" was asked about whether you wanted your groceries in a paper bag or a plastic bag?

That's what it is

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join