It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the world has gone and changed around me

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

originally posted by: rickymouse

I miss the days where you could go to the corner store with a dollar and get a pop, bag of chips, and a chocolate bar.

Are you a Yooper, you called it a pop?

I used to stop at burger king after work and get two hamburgers and a water for less than a buck. Go back farther and we would go to a restaurant for a malt and they gave you the big mixing cup with enough left to refill the malt glass....again under a buck. Now a cup of coffee is over a buck and a half most places. There is one restaurant here where you can still get a malt that way, it is my house, I have two commercial malt machines, one four head and one single head, and six or seven malt cups.

When I was a kid, a sixteen oz bottle of pop was seven cents plus a two cent deposit on the glass bottle. The Hershey bars were five cents and as big if not bigger than the buck and a half ones today. But we were cheap, they sold a cheaper kind for three cents and they were actually better tasting, I think they were Mr. Goodbars. Chips were always expensive they were fifteen cents, but there was a lot of chips in the bag. That was back in the early to mid sixties.

Im a tad bit younger than you, but sounds close to what i remember price wise, i could also get 100 assorted candys for a buck, now you pay them by the weigth.

We used to walk to the candy store, it was Menards candy store. It was a penny a piece for the big licorices there and they had all sorts of penny candy. Now Menards is the name of the guys candy store, they have all sorts of tools and supplies for building things and remodeling. Times have changed, now candy means tools.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Nyiah

I always thought "Paper or plastic" was asked about whether you wanted your groceries in a paper bag or a plastic bag?

You are right, paper or plastic is asking about the bag you want.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I remember in my first career job, I was greeted by my manager who was smoking a big fat cigar. Everybody in the shop was smoking and there was a haze in the room. Fortunately I was smoking back then..

“pointless thread i know ..” - Yes!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Aw yeah. America has changed. I was born when Kennedy was fresh in the White House and Vietnam was a place in limbo abandoned by France.

I remember being outside from morning until night, weather permitting. Television wasn't something we watched unless it was afternoon reruns of Gilligan's Island or The Flying Nun (that was my first lunch box....The Flying Nun...thank you Sally Field). Saturday mornings were for cartoons which ended by around 10:30 or 11:00 am, and then it was outside. I can't say I walked barefoot to the pond to fish with a wooden pole because I grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles, California.....but I did run barefoot nearly year round.

I do remember the gas stations....the ding-ding line was something we used to try and jump on when the guy wasn't looking, lol. My mother had no idea how to pump gas; either my dad did it, I did it when I was older, or the friendly hyper gas jockey did it. When my father passed away from a car accident in 1995, I had to teach my mother how to pump gas. Free air for car and bike tires. I blew up a bike tire when I was 9 because I thought, "Just a little more air can't hurt".

I do remember the old machines: The soda machine with real bottles, and the bottle cap popper on the outside, since screw-off caps are a recent invention. Save the bottle and get a few cents to save and buy candy with. The cigarette machines with the pull handles, and out pops a pack of coolness, which actually tasted like crap and made me throw up when I was 14 years old. Never did pick up that habit.

Whether you were city or country, there were parks and places to go that still had trees and grass and places to play where you could get good and dirty at the end of the day. Sitting all day didn't even happen at school, where they were smart enough to let us little animals out at regular intervals to run off our energy. I did so hate the nuclear drills, though. Girls weren't allowed to wear pants and the sand would grate my knees as we held our hands clasped behind our heads to keep away the flying glass and poisonous radiation. I used to fuss in my head about how the back of my hands would be cut to ribbons, and then have anxiety over which was worse....the back of my head cut up, or my hands shredded and useless. No wonder I have panic attacks now.

My own children were raised in the country and luckily didn't have the burden of technology until they were older teenagers. They played in the hills, hiked, explored, had picnic lunches, built forts in a copse of trees on the property, and had a go-cart. Their technology was Nintendo and a cordless phone. I'm grateful for that. If you ask them, they'll say they had great childhoods, lots of fun, and lots of freedom.

What bothers me these days is that children are no longer allowed to be children. They are exposed to adult things and sexualized WAY TOO EARLY for their own good. I treasure my memories of being a child with simple toys playing in the grass, and creating little villages in the dirt with tiny twigs. I did the same for my children. My heart grows fearful over any grandchildren I may have...starting with forced vaccinations at birth (why the vitamin K???? They start sticking these kids with garbage well before their immune systems are even ready to be assaulted), to the idiocy at school, to the adult subject matter that passes as children's shows.

My world when young was a blip at a time in America when it really was great, when we were at the nadir of middle class affluence and bliss. I realize that politics and black ops have always been. That people suffer the world over and always have. I thank God that for a few meager decades, I was a part of something that was fun, had hope, and could make fun of itself with no hurt feelings.

Thanks for nudging me to bring back the memories, OP. That one Christmas when I was 9 and I got a Schwinn girl's bike in gold with a sparkly banana seat and a little sissy bar, then rode it down the street with the wind in my hair on a day so clear and blue that it hurt my eyes is still one of my favorites.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Yes I remember fondly how there were no foul music lyrics being screamed by inhuman looking creatures who are excused for any behavior because they have fanatic fans.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Rotary phones

cigarette vending machines

when kids could play in the whole backseat because they weren't strapped to boosters until 12

the mall arcade

Oregon Trail

black and white TV

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Yes I remember fondly how there were no foul music lyrics being screamed by inhuman looking creatures who are excused for any behavior because they have fanatic fans.

sick burn yo
remember anything else?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I miss the days where you could go to the corner store with a dollar and get a pop, bag of chips, and a chocolate bar.
The problem though in those days was how to get a dollar

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

No love for arcades???

I used to hang out for hours at an arcade at my local mall. Recently, I found an old school arcade that is nothing but old school video games. You pay like $15 bucks for unlimited plays. It is freaking awesome.

www.gallopingghostarcade.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

sick burn yo
remember anything else?

Yeah, People used to show respect around the kids and watch their language, it was expected in public and around Families. People used to have real adults that were looked up to as an example of good behavior. The young had real grownups that they could come to when they got all confused and messed up.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

sick burn yo
remember anything else?

Yeah, People used to show respect around the kids and watch their language, it was expected in public and around Families. People used to have real adults that were looked up to as an example of good behavior. The young had real grownups that they could come to when they got all confused and messed up.

People didn't get upset over that expectation either. These days people get upset if you mention that maybe we should have a certain amount of public decorum out of respect for others who may not want their kids eagerly absorbing your f bombs every other word.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

sick burn yo
remember anything else?

People didn't get upset over that expectation either. These days people get upset if you mention that maybe we should have a certain amount of public decorum out of respect for others who may not want their kids eagerly absorbing your f bombs every other word.

Nowadays, we have 30 year old grandmothers...

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: ketsuko

sick burn yo
remember anything else?

Nowadays, we have 30 year old grandmothers...

And they brag about it to boot!

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

The problem though in those days was how to get a dollar

Thats true, used to cut the grass for a quarter

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Not quite sure if kidding, or just not up on music history o.O

1935, pops. Nineteen Thirty Five.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

We still got that at every gas station in South Africa.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Waking up early on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons that didn't suck.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Short list! Seen all of those changes, and far more. How about a soft drink machine that cost 15 cents? We had that in HS, and all complained when they raised the price to a quarter. Cans, in that case, and the little metal tab pulled OFF the top, instead of dunking into your drink, as they do now. Also in high school, they had typing classes - no computers - and we used calculators that were small enough to hang on your belt. Real phone booths were scarce, but still around. No cell phones, not even, then, those cute yuppy car phones. No GPS. No computers in most homes, though some people did have one. Video games were mosly in arcades. I actually remember when Pac Man came out.

Junior high, cable television was just becoming a big thing. When I was younger, it was ABC, CBS, and NBC, and if the president was speaking, your tv night was over. No DVD players, not even VCRs, in those days.

Younger days - no car seat laws, kids would ride in the back of a pickup truck, and no one thought twice about it. We'd play outside, in simmer, till dusk, when the sodium vapor lights started to come on. You could get candy two-for-a-penny at small stores, that NO ONE called "convenience stores". We had a dime store down the street, and fifty cents would provide several smaller toy items. Pea shooters were popular.

Heck, even as a young adult, you could still get full service at a gas station, as in, they would pump it for you. Under a dollar a gallon, too. Leaded gas was still around.

People used to play games together, around a table, no electronics. Canasta was popular with the adults around us, and we had all the usual old classic board games. Kids these days think they'll die if they don't have something electronic to amuse them. My house, we still have real games, and everyone plays, when there is a game night.

It's a different world, alright, and changing on an exponential curve. Hold on to your hat!

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: horseplay
When I was a little kid, there was a milkman that brought milk to Grandmas house every few days. You know, the kind in the glass bottles and they leave them in the silver box.

I also remember going to the butcher store to buy meat. Where us kids would get free pretzel sticks. woohoo

so called grocery stores just had the staples like dried goods and flour and stuff.

and the 3 channels on tv always had something good on....

Your post reminded me that my grandparents had an old ice box, that required delivery of a big block of ice for the bottom, to keep it cool! Old washing machine with a ringer on top, too!

We used a clothesline for ages, even through my junior high years.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

Now I want to cry....a banana seat....can I have one now for a grown-up bike????

SOO comfy, those seats!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join