It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq: Draft law legalizing marriage of 9-year-olds

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

How Bout you for once call a spade a spade and admit Islam needs a reformation and is Completely backwards. The majority of these countries are basically a theocracy.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: GuidedKill

originally posted by: Edumakated

a reply to: Edumakated

Great. Things are improving, but that doesn't mean we are where we should be to stand on the moral high ground on this issue yet.

Yes, it does. We are against murder, however, murder still occurs. Just because we have murders occur here too doesn't mean we can't say the murder rate is too high somewhere else.

The issue is the they are attempting to codify into law marrying 9 year olds in 2017. This is disgusting by modern standards. Just because we have a small number of incidents here does not change that fact. Again, marrying children is not a mainstream practice in the US even though it does occur. That is the difference.

But it's still legal here! There is no federal law that mandates a marriage age and extremely young marriages still happen legally.

That's because marriage and the laws dealing with them have always been a state level issue not the federal gov.

Maybe just like Iraq each state is a different culture and should be treated as such. Just going by some of the reasoning I have seen others use to condone and defend the pedo's in Iraq.

Well if it is ok here then how can we say it is not ok elsewhere?

We can both agree it's not ok anywhere.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

I can certainly agree with you there.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MaxMech

I think that you are the one who is tired. Why lurk on a middle east form then? Why read and comment on this post?

Because this is an alternative news site where we hear opinions opposed to whats presented in the main scream news.

Unlike the propaganda news channels, here there is two way discourse.

Don't you just hate that?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

How Bout you for once call a spade a spade and admit Islam needs a reformation and is Completely backwards. The majority of these countries are basically a theocracy.

Now its "these countries".

Meh, I dump on all organized religion all the time. But nobody is waging aggressive war on the west for their misguided beliefs are they.

Just on Islamic nations.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Actually, statist-globalists ("progressives") are, in fact, waging war on western culture.

Their incessant, disgusting attempts to justify and defend anything (and I mean anything) that is in opposition to traditional western values is proof of it.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

What is OK here? Where in the law can someone marry a 9 year old, where in American society norms is it seen as OK? I know there are ways to marry 13 to 17 with court and parent involvement, but is that really norm or exception?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

We can both agree it's not ok anywhere.

I could come up with a scenario where it might be in the best interest for the girl, but I'm sure 99 times out of 100 it is not.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

What is OK here? Where in the law can someone marry a 9 year old, where in American society norms is it seen as OK? I know there are ways to marry 13 to 17 with court and parent involvement, but is that really norm or exception?

What's the difference between marrying a 13 year old versus marrying a 9 year old? Is one worse than the other or something? Because I see both as equally heinous. I didn't realize this was a pissing contest on who can be the less immoral so they can "tut-tut" at the other. Furthermore, marrying a 9 year old is currently illegal in Iraq, so it reasons that isn't the norm there either.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

originally posted by: angeldoll

a reply to: MaxMech

It's not Muslims who are at fault. It is religion in general. Particularly fundamentalists. There are Christians marrying 12 year olds in our own back yard. Where is the outrage for that?
Why does the United States still let 12-year-old girls get married?
America’s Child-Marriage Problem

Oh bull#. It's nothing but legalizing a child sex slave. Now you are the one creating a diversion. This sucks and you know it.

Are you seriously assuming I don't think there is anything wrong with this just because I brought up the US? I thought you were better than #ty arguing like this...

I know you think something is wrong with it. Of course you do you are a smart man with good judgment. I'm just saying don't say "we do it too". Maybe we do, I don't know. But if "we" do, WE GO TO JAIL FOR IT. We don't make it legal.

I wish that were true, but it isn't. I've posted links in this very thread that shows it happens in the States. I don't want to believe it either, but it is a reality that cannot be denied. Just like slavery still exists in this country too (at least that is 100% illegal though).

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

If anybody on this thread knows of a situation where girls less than 16 years old are being molested or forced into illegal marriages, please contact your local Child Protective Service, or Law Enforcement, to arrange for their protection and prosecution of the perpetrators.

Thank you.
edit on 11/28/2017 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Actually, statist-globalists ("progressives") are, in fact, waging war on western culture.

Now dummy up... You mean Jihadist extremist Islamisist terrorists.

We bomb their countries to dust, kill or displace millions with carriers and attack aircraft, cruise missiles, drone strikes and tanks. By proxy we provide arms and training to a plethora of ME nations and terrorist organizations to do some of the fighting and killing for us.

Bwah, someone peed in our cheerios.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That logic would have us see no difference the same as if it were a 3 year old. It would have court case sentencing see guys who 6 year olds get the same treatment of as if 16 year olds.

edit on 28-11-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That logic would have us see no difference the same as if it were a 3 year old. It would have court case sentencing see guys who 6 year olds get the same treatment of as if 16 year olds.

No problems here. Rape is rape to me no matter the age. Throw the book at them and let them rot forever. Why should I feel more sympathy for someone because they attacked an adult versus a child or extreme minor? I don't feel sympathy for any of them.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

What's the difference between marrying a 13 year old versus marrying a 9 year old? Is one worse than the other or something, because I see both as equally heinous. I didn't realize this was a pissing contest on who can be the less immoral so they can "tut-tut" at the other. Furthermore, marrying a 9 year old is currently illegal in Iraq, so it reasons that isn't the norm there either.

Well one is pedophilia being prior to puberty and the other is just wrong under the vast majority of situations. Another way to look at this is just look at what a 15 year old looks like compared to a 18 year old, extreme differences in both physical and mental maturity. Well a 9 year old to a 13 year old is even more vastly different... so ya there is still a big difference...

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I still don't see any difference when it comes to marrying any of them. Children are off limits to adults. That is plain and dry for me.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I still don't see any difference when it comes to marrying any of them. Children are off limits to adults. That is plain and dry for me.

Well yes...we agree...how do you feel about an 18 year old getting his high school 16 year old sweetheart pregnant? 5, 10 or 20 years in jail?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Well yes...we agree...how do you feel about an 18 year old getting his high school 16 year old sweetheart pregnant? 5, 10 or 20 years in jail?

Ok. That's a good point. The only exception I have is the two year gap, but any more than that and I start getting uneasy. One of my brother's friends used to go to high schools and pick up girls well into his college years and I could never get over how weird and creepy that was.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

No problems here. Rape is rape to me no matter the age. Throw the book at them and let them rot forever. Why should I feel more sympathy for someone because they attacked an adult versus a child or extreme minor? I don't feel sympathy for any of them.

Unless they're a Muslim. Got it.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Unless they're a Muslim. Got it.

See. This is why I don't talk to you. You just randomly make up arguments or positions to me. Yet somehow you don't see anything wrong with this behavior and think I'm just running from you. Let me be clear, I'm VERY up front about why we don't discuss things thoroughly.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Actually I randomly crack jokes, where you have n sense of humor you're no fun. So compounding that personality trait of yours, along with your Party Loyalty, with the topics we usually intersect at its inevitably downhill from there all too often.

If only one could learn a sense of humor, it wouldn't have to be no fun all the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join