It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq: Draft law legalizing marriage of 9-year-olds

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Oh man you are right that totally excuses pedophilia!

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MaxMech

It's not Muslims who are at fault. It is religion in general. Particularly fundamentalists. There are Christians marrying 12 year olds in our own back yard. Where is the outrage for that?
Why does the United States still let 12-year-old girls get married?
America’s Child-Marriage Problem

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaxMech
a reply to: intrptr
In the US these people are treated as criminals while Muslim countries are tying to legalize this practice.

Really? Then explain all the child marriages that happen in the US.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

It's sick, I don't condone child marriage so nice try, I was just pointing out how other religions promote just as sick and inhumane things. I guess selective outrage is what I'm getting at in the end.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Its not likes it an at large CULTURAL thing across the nation those worst care hypothetical you're talking about (hillbillies & sorts like muslims about the only ones engaging in such a things here, there its how they do things).

But we cant allow people to have a negative view about barbaric cultural practices of people OVER THERE, so carry on...

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Are you suggesting that it is a large cultural thing in Iraq too then? Because, according to the OP, it is illegal right now. So I gather that a large portion of couples in Iraq were wed of age as well. So this looks suspiciously like a deflection point.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: WUNK22

It's sick, I don't condone child marriage so nice try, I was just pointing out how other religions promote just as sick and inhumane things. I guess selective outrage is what I'm getting at in the end.

Always remember the ATS rule. If it looks like you are disagreeing with someone then clearly you have the EXACT, OPPOSITE opinion as them. No nuance whatsoever.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I guess if a nine year old is old enough to vote...

NOT!

Is that why it was so imperative that Hussein be replaced?

I could go on...

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

It's a cultural problem with Mainstream Global Islam in general, meaning it just goes without saying in most of theose state enough that to hear its being legalized that it wasnt already legal is the Big Story if anything.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Whatever is going on in the US is not excusing things that happen in other places.
Would you be OK with someone raping your wife and then saying: "Hey, they are doing it in other countries and not getting punished"?

Tu quoque (pronounced like 'too quoh quey'; Latin for 'you also') is a form of ad hominem fallacy that occurs when it is assumed that an argument is wrong if the source making the claim has itself spoken or acted in a way inconsistent with it. The fallacy focuses on the perceived hypocrisy of the opponent rather than the merits of their argument.

This is a Middle East forum, thus the subjects which are discussed here are related to the Middle East.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Is it really that hard to simply admit that this practice is wrong?

Oh please, you are so transparent.
That’s not the reason you made this thread and you damn well know it.
edit on 28-11-2017 by Hazardous1408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I can say the same about poor Christian nations in South America or Africa too, but I don't. That's because it is stupid to pontificate and be surprised about stereotypes that you know aren't true. At the end of the day, child marriage is popular in fundamentalist religions because fundamentalist religions are super conservative in their ways. And back in the day child marriage was the norm. It's all basic logic and it's not just the Muslims who are guilty. Nor are all Muslims guilty of not changing their ways as this isn't the norm legally throughout the Muslim world.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Lets see some statistics that show its a problem with Mainstream Global Christianity. Good luck.

Although apparently discussion along the lines is a big problem with Mainstream 'Global' Hindu if some reports I've seen about India are to be noted. But then again there arent as many Hindu's, they aren't literally trying to imperialistically conquer the whole world half of them, nor do they have a "Sharia Law" model they try to weasel their way into everywhere they land in huge droves together when they relocate (not that I've heard about anyways).

edit on 28-11-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

There are many things condoned by people that are wrong but religions are ok with it and even promote it.

I guess they missed this part of my post or ignored it. It implies that I think this is wrong but people read what they want to read apparently.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Are you suggesting that it is a large cultural thing in Iraq too then? Because, according to the OP, it is illegal right now.

The legal age of marriage in Iraq is 18 for both girls and boys, but a girl can marry at the age of 15 with parental consent.
The increased financial hardship in Iraq has meant that the number of child brides has increased. According to the Iraqi government, in 1997, 15% of marriages involved women under 18. This number jumped to more than 20% in 2012, with almost 5% married by the age of 15.
Source

One of every 20 brides married by the age of 15. Is it that hard to simply admit that this practice is wrong instead of justifying it using the 'you also' fallacy?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I'm actually more concerned with goes on in the US than in Iraq, because I live here. Imagine that?

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaxMech
One of every 20 brides married by the age of 15. Is it that hard to simply admit that this practice is wrong instead of justifying it using the 'you also' fallacy?

Lol. Of course I think it is wrong. Stop pretending like just because I'm pushing back at your OP that I support pedophilia. It is low hanging fruit and dumb analysis.

I just feel like you are focused in the wrong spot. Why do you care so much about Iraq when the problem exists in your backyard too? Shouldn't you want to clean up your own yard before telling someone else their's is messy. ESPECIALLY when you both have the same mess.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Circumcision is a global problem with mainstream Judaism and Christianity but seeing as it's a part of that culture it's glossed over as normal.

Not excusing this law because it's sick but clean your own room before complaining about another's.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Are you talking penis or clitoris?

One is tantamount to grooming, the other is tantamount to both mutilation and castration.

posted on Nov, 28 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

There are many things condoned by people that are wrong but religions are ok with it and even promote it.

I guess they missed this part of my post or ignored it. It implies that I think this is wrong but people read what they want to read apparently.

The rule is sacred! Nuance is to be ignored!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join