It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finland Baker Launches Bread Made from Crushed Crickets

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Only if the drink uses the red dye that was made from bugs.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

Only if the drink uses the red dye that was made from bugs.

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Shrimp and crawdads, too. Then there are sea cucumbers, which are basically tough skinned and lumpy slugs:

As long as people know what they're eating, I don't see the problem with it. The FDA also allows a limited amount all bug parts in our food too and people don't seem to have a problem with that. (HERE)

posted on Nov, 23 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I'm Finn. I am not going to eat that bread. Just because there are a bunch of strange new Finns out there does not mean I am going to do what they do. I never really liked that rotted mackeral my dad used to buy either, that would be Norwegian. I guess I am not enough Norwegian to appreciate that, maybe two percent at most.

I do like pannakuku, that is made from the eggs of chickens, they can eat the crickets and I will eat their eggs and the chicken. I don't want to start bypassing their jobs and eat the bugs myself.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Except that John the Baptist ate them too .... without losing Gods favor ....

Adding though that I had not read of Jesus, as the perfect human being, eating insects. I mean, when he went hungry for 40 days, instead of a bread, he could have simply snatched a cricket and told the devil of: I don't need your covfefe, I have mi own! Now shooh!

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
double post
edit on 24-11-2017 by Yvhmer because: double post

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'd try it without a moments hesitation. I've enjoyed crickets before, and think they might actually add some interesting flavor to the bread.

Most really define what they will or wont eat based entirely on how they grew up. Most don't think of something like eggs as gross, but the first human to eat them was a brave soul indeed. Probably.

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Imagine the first humans that tried yogurt & milk curd products. Brave souls indeed (especially for moldy cheeses).

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Or the cheese that has maggots inside. Who the hell would look at it and say "gee, that looks appetising".

posted on Nov, 24 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: Serdgiam

Imagine the first humans that tried yogurt & milk curd products. Brave souls indeed (especially for moldy cheeses).

posted on Nov, 25 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

That's an even better example!

What nut looked at cheese or curds and said "Yeah, lets do this, this looks and smells totally edible and delicious."

I'm sure glad they did though

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I do like pannakuku, that is made from the eggs of chickens, they can eat the crickets and I will eat their eggs and the chicken. I don't want to start bypassing their jobs and eat the bugs myself.

You mean pannukakku?

..anyway, I think it's great to have insects as an alternative because I'd imagine it being way more ecological than having to ship all that beef from say Brazil to Finland.
If I go to the local supermarket to buy meat, I can find Brazilian beef for ~5€/kg..but if I want local produced stuff I have to pay 15€/kg. Where's the logic in that? People eat way to much meat anyway, so if we can find a more sustainable way to satisfy our intake of protein, I'm all for it.
Besides, there's a lot nastier stuff in our food that we happily eat on a daily basis in form of additives.. we're just not aware of it. Let's say some vanilla aroma obtaind from beaver anal glands..bon appetit

Escargot is popular, snails (yuck)..but because it's so trendy it doesn't come cheap either.
I'd rather munch on some roasted salty crickets.. anytime!

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumimies

How expensive is fish there?

From doing a lot of reading, I found that the cows in Brazil are free ranged a lot.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

From doing a lot of reading, I found that the cows in Brazil are free ranged a lot.

Most fish is 10-20€/kg, not cheap.

I suppose there are a lot of free range cattle in Brazil, it's just the shipping I'm concerned about. Can it really be the cheapest, most ecological and sustainable course? I mean, from a neighbouring country or somewhere near I'd get it.. but Brazil?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumimies

Most fish is 10-20€/kg, not cheap.

I suppose there are a lot of free range cattle in Brazil, it's just the shipping I'm concerned about. Can it really be the cheapest, most ecological and sustainable course? I mean, from a neighbouring country or somewhere near I'd get it.. but Brazil?

When you say 10-20E per kg, what does the E like symbol mean in like American Dollars? A Kg is two point two pounds, but what is the E like symbol?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   

When you say 10-20E per kg, what does the E like symbol mean in like American Dollars? A Kg is two point two pounds, but what is the E like symbol?

Euros
1 euro = 1.2203 US dollars

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumimies

Euros
1 euro = 1.2203 US dollars

I buy a half a grass fed organic beef each year. After processing fees and loss from aging it comes out to cost about six bucks a pound. Fish here is reasonable, I usually like to buy local fish from Lake superior but do buy some frozen polack to make my Kalamojakka with, that costs about two bucks a pound. I do make it with cod too, buying frozen cod for about four bucks a pound. I sometimes use a little cabbage in my recipe too. I have modified my grandfathers recipe a bit, I add a few drops of tabasco sauce and a carrot too. It has a real calming effect. I don't use the milk, I am intolerant to milk pretty much. He used to add the milk. I wish I could drink milk more, I always seemed to have problems with it, according to the doctors years ago it is an intolerance to the protein in it.

For some strange reason, when milk is with an egg in something I don't seem to get a reaction. The egg must somehow bind to it. Also, if I put a little turmeric in it, I do not seem to react to it so badly. Instant bloating and my temperature will rise up to almost normal when I drink milk. It usually is ninety seven degrees F, it goes up to around ninety eight point six to ninety eight point eight when I drink milk
edit on 13-1-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

OMG It's interesting but I am not sure that I would eat it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join