It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officer killed in Pennsylvania, gunman at large

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: EternalShadow

a reply to: EternalShadow

Fair enough I should tone it down.

I'm really getting sick of the excuses used to justify senseless murder.

Cops should not be getting shot at random traffic stops this is a sign of a sick society..

There you go AGAIN...geezus!!

This is the sign of a sick INDIVIDUAL!!

INDIVIDUAL!! NOT INDIVIDUALS!!

This is not indicative of a society as a WHOLE!

Are you PERSONALLY responsible for EVERY crime your fellow citizens commit, regardless!!??

You have every right to feel that may be the case FOR YOU, but it's moronic to believe that.

Ask yourself how you really feel about sick individuals whom have easy access to high powered weapons, getting these weapons and turning them on innocent people who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The real question is how I feel about sick individuals.

Without splitting hairs, individuals who kill innocent people are indeed sick. I am very adamantly opposed to those that seek to harm others breathing my same air. Since these individuals will never cease to exist, and knowing full well that guns aren't going anywhere either, it behooves myself to prepare for a possible encounter with this type of person or persons.

I wish 90% of Americans carried, but many Americans are not interested in taking personal responsibility for their lives and would rather a governing body chose for them, and for the others who do take responsibility as well.
They consider gun owners the enemy without realizing that in doing so, they are removing the possibility of a responsible gun owner saving their lives while they're calling 911, hoping the calvary will make it there before they are killed.

BECAUSE KILLERS DON'T GIVE A SH#.

Since we have right to chose, I say let the chips fall where they may...we are all responsible in the end for our own decisions. However, your right to chose shouldn't effect my right to chose, because that eliminates freedom, provides for the onslaught of totalitarianism, and sets a dangerous precedent.
edit on E30America/ChicagoSat, 18 Nov 2017 05:04:11 -060011amSaturdayth05am by EternalShadow because: add/correction

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Fair enough I should tone it down.

I'm really getting sick of the excuses used to justify senseless murder.

Cops should not be getting shot at random traffic stops this is a sign of a sick society..

Who’s justifying “senseless murder?”

I think you’re confusing people’s unwillingness to play your silly “what if guns didn’t exist!” game with “justifying senseless murder.”

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Evil is the only word I can use to describe someone who can readily take an innocent life. This young police officer was just doing his job. A dangerous job many of us wouldn't want. Today more than ever, it seems like people don't consider the consequences of their actions. I'm sure they'll eventually find the guy considering they have his vehicle.

It's cold blood killings like this is when I feel the death penalty should be automatic. Maybe if there was no room to escape the death penalty for killing someone, more criminals would think twice before pulling the trigger.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Because this isn't a gun debate. Love when single-issue interests hijack topics though.

Like I said, a good number of officer shootings involve the officer's duty weapon being used against them. You have no idea if this was the case, but this officer had been sworn for less than 1 year.

edit on 11/18/2017 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The officer wasn't on the department very long. As far as you know, the suspect took him by surprise or lead him into an ambush.

There are no national statistics on how many times officers' guns are taken away. But the FBI says that of the 616 law enforcement officers killed on duty by criminals from 1994 through 2003, 52 were killed with their own weapon, amounting to 8 percent.

52 LEOs have been killed with their duty weapon 1994-2003 per FBI.

And FYI, for the posters who insist on making this a damn gun issue.

A majority of officers are killed in vehicular collision/vehicular assault related incidents

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Another tragic and senseless murder.

They should make a law that killing cops is illegal so that won't happen any more.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Agreed

It seems they are keeping a lot of information close to the vest right now, which is understandable. Whoever killed him should not feel safe anywhere, especially if they know who he is.

They will likely use Officer Shaw's handcuffs on this creep once they catch him.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Beatnixx117

Brian Shaw, that's his name.

Feel free to keep acting like an ingrate. Or, you could try being a decent and empathetic human being for a change. This has nothing to do with his job, and everything to do with a senseless murder.

Don't feed the trolls, right?

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The respect and meaning of life have been too far diminished. We as a society murder babies by the millions every year. We mimic violence on tv and video games often hours upon hours a day. We routinely scorn religions that teach morals and ight from wrong. The reason for mass shootings and officer slayings so commonplace is not the guns, but we are so far broken and immoral as a society that we don't give a damn about human life.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Beatnixx117
I weep emphatically......booohooo. that's me weeping. I almost was to lazy to write all those O's . See i care. Six O's and all. Takes effort for those leo's. Another O. That's how much I care. 9 O'S. INSERT SARCASM HERE.

Would you be as sarcastic if that was your father or brother who was killed? [snipped]
edit on 11.19.2017 by Kandinsky because: Snipped unnecessry comment

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Thank you for posting that... I'm thinking the same exact thing, but can't come up with thoughts that don't seem as offensive to police in general. Maybe we need to start thinking of changing the slogan on the side of the cruisers from "protect and serve" to "enforce and mandate?"

I hate to admit it, but policing has become a business entity before it acts as a people's entity. Americans aren't blind to see that the average police department uses generated revenues to combat their community disinterests. A sound and personable police department would use their funds to rebuild their community from the foundation up if they were approaching their duties with proper care and concern for the dilemmas they see on duty. People also view the police departments take in retired military equipment to further assist in combating their own communities.

Take those thoughts into account, and it becomes clear that police show up after a crime is committed, and police do very little to stop crimes before they happen. This tactic is not a cohesive strategy to buying in support from the citizen base.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Damn. He was young.

This is such a messed up world to the good people.

Peace and prayers to the family.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Crap! I was talking to him at about 6:30 last night. I shoot in a dart tournament in Lower Burrell on Friday nights. I saw him when I stopped for gas. I remember when he was the kicker for the Slippery Rock University football team.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
When I was looking for an update on this story, I saw an article that mentioned another shooting in Baltimore. A BPD detective was shot and killed while investigating a crime, and his killer is also still on the loose. Two in one week, it seems.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

I really enjoyed Mr. Wood, Jr.'s second appearance on Rogan's podcast.

I found his statement "I'm not a big fan of the Constitution" to be particularly enlightening.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I am actually listening to it again now, and was pondering the same. I did not analyze the 'well regulated militia' aspect until he mentioned it, and I am glad to find enlightenment through those words. I am assuming you are talking about the same talking point I am...

I feel his premise of gun legislation must include for a call of police to not carry guns anymore as well???

If guns are going to used as a 'toe to toe' weapon, then police should be willing to carry on with their duty's without them... to serve as leading by example.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I was being extremely sarcastic. I find the idea of somebody who wants to influence and make policy openly stating that they don't care about the Constitution to be a problem on a number of levels.

You should give it another listen. 1) Wood is wrong about what "well regulated militia means." 2) Wood has no problem with the government having guns. He has a problem with citizens having them.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I agree... that's the flaw with his logic when it doesn't include the government and their representatives.

A well regulated militia means, to me, that a group that is not breaking laws with the current laws that exist.

Mr. Wood claims that those that don't break laws can earn the privilege to carry the value inflated guns once manufacturing is halted, yet doesn't include those members to be as part of the government that legislates around guns. If he becomes a police commissioner somewhere and sends out his force with no guns to enforce crimes... then and only then can anti gun laws even be approached for debate. I do appreciate his transparent community based policing though...

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Wood has some (very few) ideas that are decent, but they're not new or revelatory.

The bottom line for me is that Wood went to work for one of the most racist and corrupt departments in the country (BPD was literally the most corrupt at one point, according to studies by other law enforcement "science" bodies), engages in the same behaviors he sees other officers doing, then gets medically retired and now makes a living off acting as if he has some inside information. To me that's no different than an ex Chicago cop going out and saying "zomg you won't believe what I saw everybody!"

Well, duh. That's what happens when you work for a widely recognized corrupt agency.

posted on Nov, 18 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

In his first interview he exposes the fraternity that is the police force. The general public appreciates police officers that don't operate by way of fraternity and don't buy into the concepts that there should be a minimum number of stops and arrests to maintain the security of their police career. Mr. Wood stood up to those behaviors in Baltimore, and the fraternity pushed him aside for going against the flow and grain. To feel that police don't operate by way of 'snitches get stitches' and that it's a gang mentality only is a bit premature.

Haven't you ever found yourself in a situation, became further educated and self reflected, and it lead to changing the path you were on? It's called being human and growing up. I am asking because of curiosity, but are you a law enforcement officer or have a direct connection to law enforcement... I am curious because you have the cop avatar mainly? I like to compare the thoughts of law enforcement officers vs. the consumers of law enforcement.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join