It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 dead after school shooting in California, shooter stopped by deputies

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacquesdarippa

originally posted by: face23785

If it's collecting dust that means you don't practice and you don't clean it. Please, please, please take a class or sell it. It's more of a danger to you than a help if you don't exercise responsible ownership. You are the reason accidents happen.

Of course I took that stupid little class and even shot those paper targets because we all know the bad guy is just going to stand there while I shoot him. I wouldn't have got the gun without some training.

If you're not going to sell it, I would strongly encourage you to take additional training. Your ineptitude and lack of respect for the weapon is going to end up with you injuring yourself or someone near you. Responsible firearms owner maintains their weapon, keeps it clean and in a state of readiness and practices with it. And no, I don't mean that they stand behind a line in the sand and shoot at mobile paper targets.

Owning a firearm and giving it all due respect doesn't mean that the person is a coward or lives in a constant state of fear per the accusation you've levied at posters in this thread multiple times. Some of us simply enjoy shooting, even if it's just target practice. Others do have legitimate safety concerns. Others like myself, injured themselves serving our country and a firearm narrows the gap between my physical limitations and a younger healthy adult who is intent on harming myself or my children. I would prefer to be prepared for a situation that is highly unlikely to come to pass than find myself in need of assistance and not be able to protect my children. The few times I have had to call the police, their average response time is over 20 minutes and the last was after reporting an armed individual at the rear of my property so relying on someone else to protect my family isn't an option I prefer to rely on. It's not fear, it's prudence. If that seems cowardly to you then I don't know what else to say.

It still is a useless tool to me.

Then why keep it? It doesn't appear that you know anything about gun laws and you couldn't tell anyone the make,model or caliber of ammunition that it fires. That makes you an incredibly ignorant, irresponsible and dangerous firearms owner. It's people like you that make responsible firearms owners look bad. You even went so far a second to state that it had dust all over it which means you don't maintain it or keep it clean. In the off chance that you ever did need to use it in an emergency the chances of a malfunction that injures yourself are pretty high. You're a danger to anyone in your vicinity and should seriously consider relieving yourself of the gun.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroFurrbone

OK, I see the misunderstanding now. It would be productive for these conversations if both sides could at least recognize a couple of basic facts...
1. Firearms are too prevalent in the US for any outright bannings to impact anyone other than the law abiding.
2. Murder is the big daddy of crimes in this country. It's the pinnacle. If you've made the decision to kill multiple people, particularly in an indiscriminate fashion, then you've just declared that laws are utterly meaningless to you. Nobody who has set their mind to kill people is going to say "Uh oh, this firearm isn't available to me legally, so my plans are ruined." They're simply going to violate the law by obtaining whatever firearm they want to get from the black market and carry out their plan. Same if you made various ammo illegal... it's fairly simple to load your own ammo and brass is easy to get ahold of for pretty much any caliber. The .223/5.56 gets a negative rap, but the AR platform can be adopted to several different calibers, including the most popular hunting caliber in North America, the .308. It's a fool's errand which would never stop if we started selectively banning platforms or calibers and, equally important, only those following the law would, well, follow the law.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

What would you suggest, pray? What would have prevented this criminal from getting his hands on weapons?

What practical solutions do you have?

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

No bans are needed. Just stronger laws that actually can sepperate the insane from the sane, and regular checks.

The illegal guns are another problem alltogether.

Everywhere i read on the site about people complaining , it is because the usa is enforcing the laws the wrong way. It should not be normal a man who was denied a gun once, to get a gun from another place by using fake name etc.

All gun laws should be the same in the entire country. Not just state by state.

P.S. And enforced properly. Again, i am not against guns. I am against the missuse of guns.
edit on 14-11-2017 by ZeroFurrbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

The truth is none of that would be so bad if he wasn't so adamant about rejecting any firearms knowledge that might challenge his preconceived notions.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

It's a fool's errand which would never stop if we started selectively banning platforms or calibers.

That's pretty much the entire reason some of them want to start.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroFurrbone

Everywhere i read on the site about people complaining , it is because the usa is enforcing the laws the wrong way. It should not be normal a man who was denied a gun once, to get a gun from another place by using fake name etc.

You have some examples of that happening? Because that doesn't happen.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: kaylaluv

What would you suggest, pray? What would have prevented this criminal from getting his hands on weapons?

What practical solutions do you have?

Japan like restrictions even though California already has them.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: playswithmachines

But it's been long established through Supreme Court rulings that requiring a license to exercise one's right is tantamount to a "poll tax."

The government cannot charge a citizen to exercise a right, at least not directly, like you seem to be advocating.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

This country's history makes that an unpleasant option. Remember, it wasn't but 70 years ago that mixed race relationships were used to declare someone insane and lobotmized (See Rosemary Kennedy). One reason America's mental health is in shambles is because our mental health providers are shams. They throw chemical solutions at problems which cannot be empiracly verified via chemical tests. They don't know WTF they're doing, so I and many others are loathe to hand these charlitains the keys to the family sedan.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: jacquesdarippa

...and your uninformed opinion matters to me...why?

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Misunderstanding, or willful ignorance?

I'm just saying, there's plenty of readily available information out there for middle-school students to understand the two points that you just made. I can't help but have the stance that people are just willfully ignorant these days to logic.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Harry Potter, is that you?

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

This country's history makes that an unpleasant option. Remember, it wasn't but 70 years ago that mixed race relationships were used to declare someone insane and lobotmized (See Rosemary Kennedy).

Don't forget sexual preference.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Misunderstanding, or willful ignorance?

I'm just saying, there's plenty of readily available information out there for middle-school students to understand the two points that you just made. I can't help but have the stance that people are just willfully ignorant these days to logic.

Well they are, just look at those of us who were actually trying to help a poster earlier in this thread whose ignorance on firearms was placing himself and those around him at risk. He(she?) completely disregarded everything we said. It went against their preconceived narrative, and we're all evil and like seeing dead kids at schools because we don't support their position. They cling to their ignorance like a security blanket. If they were halfway informed, they wouldn't hold such absurd opinions.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

This country's history makes that an unpleasant option. Remember, it wasn't but 70 years ago that mixed race relationships were used to declare someone insane and lobotmized (See Rosemary Kennedy).

Don't forget sexual preference.

Are you now or have you ever been...

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: jacquesdarippa

Then get rid of it. I'm sure your local police/sheriff's dept. will be more than happy to receive it.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I just hope you remember your #2 the next time a terrorist strike happens. Because terrorists are exactly the same when it comes to committing massacres, bombings, etc. And that goes for homegrown terrorists, right wing terrorists, Muslim terrorists, etc.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I'm not sure if it's been posted already, but am I the only one that's seen reports that the first 911 calls came in before 8 AM this morning and the shootings continued in random locations for a few hours?

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

You didn't just go there, did you??

He would never do something so wrong, would he? That might make him a criminal in his own mind...or a coward.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join