It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organized religions. They are all made up by man, so why follow?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I really don't get it, and I have thought about a lot. God does not denote any religion. Man makes up religions. As an example only, look at Christianity. Jesus didn't want to make a new religion. Christianity was not founded until after his death, hence the name. All of his teachings and parables and lessons were created to try and get Judaism back to the peaceful laws of god. Mankind kills, condemns, hates and judges by man made faiths......I don't understand this at all! Why isn't it good enough to just follow the Golden Rule, live a clean life and be the best person you can be? Please....if you respond. Do not quote the Christian bible as reasoning, it means nothing to those not Christian and is therefore null in such an debate.

[edit on 2/12/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Interesting that you state that there is a Golden Rule.

Honest question : where does this Golden Rule come from ?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If I'm not mistaken every faith has a version of the Golden Rule, weather organized or not....

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The Universal Golden Rule

Brahmanism
This is the sum of duty: do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you.
[Mahabharata 5,1517]

Buddhism
Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.
[Udana-Varga 5,18]

Christianity
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you,
do ye even so to them: for this is the law of the prophets.
[Matthew 7:12]

Confucianism
Surely it is the maxim of loving-kindness:
Do not unto others that you would not have them do unto you.
[Analects 15,23]

Islam
No one of you is a believer until he desires
for his brother that which he desires for himself.
[Sunnah]

Judaism
What is hateful to you, do not to your fellowmen.
That is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary.
[Talmud Shabbat 31a]

Taoism
Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain
and your neighbor's loss as your own loss.
[T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien]

Wicca
An' it harm none, do as ye will.
[Rede]

Any energy you send out will come back threefold.

[The Law of Three]

Zoroastrianism
That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another
whatsoever is not good for itself.
[Dadistan-i-dinik 94-5]

And... George Bernard Shaw
Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you.
Their tastes may not be the same.
[1903]

You aren't' one of those that actually thought it was a Christian rule are you!?

[edit on 2/12/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Great post ladyV, but you do know that it will make no difference?
Pious people can not see that man created religon this is what makes religion what it is. I admire your post, but sadly it will do little help to get people to open their eyes.

Ohh and yes christians think that befor jesus was around the world was chaos....pitty their souls.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I think the main reason people follow is because they like to be led. There is security within religion.. and above all, acceptence.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
That is 100 percent right, people want to be told how to live, how to act, what morals to have. These are people who are weak minded, religion prays apon the weak.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Lady V....your are totaly right!

There is no organized religions or saint book that promote the truth!!!!!!! NO ONE!
It's all of man....it's a control over people, a total control!
Nobody can accept that now, it's been too long! Religious people are blind lead by blinds. They would have to give up but it won't happen soon....beleifs are too much intense into people. Actually they are manipulate by the bible, the church (same for all other religions)...they want you to think that you are just a small nobody without any powers. That the only one with powers are the saints and jesus christs, the fact is they are NOT better than anybody else (if they ever existed....)
Beleive in something is important! Whoever you pray (jesus, a saint, boudha, Allah) does not change a thing, you pray GOD, god is life. There is NOBODY superior to yourself in the universe. we are all equal! YOu have the power, but the bible says that you are almost a piece of crap if you don't follow rules, beleifs and warnings of "god". God does not ask for anything, god is in yourself. IT'S not saine to think that you are an inferior being to the eye of god! GOD is not human, it's not angry, it does not have feelings like you! Jesus, mohamet, boudha and all the prophets were just people like you and me who were more spiritual and closer to the light. We are all sons and daughters of god. Men and women are both equally important to the eyes of god...god is not a MAN it does not have a sex

Listen...if you have any questions about that....I respect you who beleive in the bible and organized religions, I send you love, you will need it!!

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Please....if you respond. Do not quote the Christian bible as reasoning, it means nothing to those not Christian and is therefore null in such an debate

How can you start a religious topic and ask us not to quote the book that is the backbone of our faith? If you don't want to hear from Christians, then don't start a thread like this. Stick to politics or something like that.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I will continue to quote my Bible for the Godless on this site until the site staff kick me off. I don't quote the Bible in non religious topics. But this is clearly one for quotes.
0Exodus 20:2-3 " I am the Lord thy God, who have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of bondage. Thou shalt have no other Gods before me. "
By Gods he was refering to things you put before him, like TV, or SEX, or FOOD, or other religions.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by deesw
I will continue to quote my Bible for the Godless on this site until the site staff kick me off. I don't quote the Bible in non religious topics. But this is clearly one for quotes.
0Exodus 20:2-3 " I am the Lord thy God, who have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of bondage. Thou shalt have no other Gods before me. "
By Gods he was refering to things you put before him, like TV, or SEX, or FOOD, or other religions.

Dear one, god never said that, the bible was written by man to have control over you.
God is LOVING, you are GOD! There is no religion, there is only one god and that is life itself. Why don't you want to be part of god, why do you want to be judge by god (god never judge, it's not a person with opinion and feelings) religion is nothing, it's a invention of man as well as the bible dear one. Love yourself and others and the truth will come to you from god that lives within your higher self. You are part of god, accept that

Love
ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
No, I am not one of those.

Just trying to understand your post that's all.

As I understand it thus far, the Golden Rule appears in most faiths / religions.

But, I thought that the point of the post was that there was no need for conform or have a specific belief in religion of any kind ?

So, are you saying that "religions'/"faiths" have actually incorporated the Golden Rule ? If so, then where does this Golden Rule come from ?

I really do not mean to be difficult, but telling me that it can be found in most religions is not telling me WHERE IT CAME FROM.

Serious and honest question as I hope to develop this thread with all of you.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
edit- already said while posting.

[edit on 12-2-2005 by riley]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
YES, there were prophets, people with high knowledge who came to teach us life, people who have old souls who had psychic powers (they still exist today) but these people are not to be adored because they are just like us.
In the ancient times, people were amazed by this kind of power and than men used these teachings for their own purpose and changed them to have control over population....see?????
This is where religions come from but the teachings of the prophets were manipulated, changed to create religions.....There is NO son of god, we are all sons and daughters of god. That is manipulation to make you think you have no powers so you don't ask questions and fear god and the unknown
!

Love, Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Why do people follow religion? Because they feel compelled to in their hearts. Why do you follow Wicca? You have argued vehemently it is a religion? Is following Wicca weak minded? Or is it just following something that is Judeo/Christian weak minded?

Are some religions acceptable and enlightened in your view, or are all archaic and pointless?

Religion can teach love, kindness and values. The last 6 commandments are valuable rules to live by and not "religous" The golden rule as you said is univeral in religion. Does that promote wars and hatred?

WE as humans promote wars, discrimination, hatred. Not religion. We as humans pervert religion to justify evil ways. If all people regardless of what religion they practiced would just obey the golden rule(which by your opinion) is universal to religion than all of the evil in the world would be moot.

I do not bash others on what they believe. I don't poke fun or berate them. I can only speak for myself and I can only act upon myself. I *do* believe that my personal beliefs are correct. If I didn't, I couldn't say I believed them.

I believe there is an afterlife and I want to live in the light of God. I don't believe it is made up by man. I beleive that Man can pervert the teachings, but that the basis of religion is to teach how to live under the grace of God. I am not a good example of it, but I live with religion that to me, is what is correct.

LadyV, isn't that why you are a Wiccan? Because you believe it is the true path to God? Or what you consider to be God? Wouldn't Wicca be made up also by man/woman/humans?? Or is it divinely inspired?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by deesw

First off the reason why ladyV would not of wanted any bible quotes is because the bible is a manipulated document that has no real credibility so it is like quoting the crazy guy down the street really.

Secondly your quote does not explain anything. All it is stating is how "your" god demanded your totaly loyalty because he saved your ass in egpty. He saved the jews, he didnt save any christians that day.
Also this quote is what has killed millions of people throughout history, it has created so much intolernace for other cultures. So if people say that the atom bomb was the worst creation by man, i disagree this quote from the bible was the worst creation by man.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Secondly your quote does not explain anything. All it is stating is how "your" god demanded your totaly loyalty because he saved your in egpty. He saved the jews, he didnt save any christians that day.

Says you. Jews and Christians believe in the same GOD. Jews just do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah. They do however believe that Jesus existed, but he was rather a Prophet. The Muslims believe in Jesus, but again they believe he was a prophet. Sorry you don't believe in GOD,,, he believes in you, and some day you'll have to stand and face him and answer for your disbelief.
Tell me,,,, just what do you believe in? Is there anything out there bigger and beyond you?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
God gave the Jews very precise instructions on how to worship him, including exact plans for the temple, the ark, what food they could eat, how to conduct sacrifices etc.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Why is this happening more and more on ATS ? A topic is posted, discussion starts, it then gets personal and off it goes to hell ? Can't this be avoided ? If there is an inflamatory post, can't we just point out what is wrong and not descend into the depths of flaming each other ????????!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Dear ones, I send you love and positive energies for you to WAKE-UP!!!!!
You are not ready yet

Love always
Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join