It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organized religions. They are all made up by man, so why follow?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
See what religion causes?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I really don't get it, and I have thought about a lot. God does not denote any religion. Man makes up religions. As an example only, look at Christianity. Jesus didn't want to make a new religion. Christianity was not founded until after his death, hence the name. All of his teachings and parables and lessons were created to try and get Judaism back to the peaceful laws of god. Mankind kills, condemns, hates and judges by man made faiths......I don't understand this at all! Why isn't it good enough to just follow the Golden Rule, live a clean life and be the best person you can be? Please....if you respond. Do not quote the Christian bible as reasoning, it means nothing to those not Christian and is therefore null in such an debate.

[edit on 2/12/2005 by LadyV]

Good question LadyV!

I've thought alot about this one too. One thing that I have come up with, is the idea that every human was born with the innate quest to seek out and worship something. Something in our DNA that can't be placed by science. Something that causes us to affiliate ourselves with a supreme being. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a "god". It could be nature (the sun, an animal, the earth), another human (an athlete, a powerful politician, an authority figure in your life), or even yourself (seeing yourself as your own "god").

Whatever it may be, I believe that the desire to worship that entity is placed within us the day we are born. Perhaps this is the "missing link" that seperates us from the animals. Perhaps our creator put that desire in us, but due to man's innability to properly harness that desire, we turn it into a need to exclude others, instead of embracing those who are seeking the same thing.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia

Dear one, god never said that, the bible was written by man to have control over you.
God is LOVING, you are GOD! There is no religion, there is only one god and that is life itself. Why don't you want to be part of god, why do you want to be judge by god (god never judge, it's not a person with opinion and feelings) religion is nothing, it's a invention of man as well as the bible dear one. Love yourself and others and the truth will come to you from god that lives within your higher self. You are part of god, accept that

Love
ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That is your own personal opinion and it is just as valid as any organised religion.

This topic keeps showing up every now and then.

You can be a member of one of the organised religions and truly be a free, open-minded, inteligent, educated, kind, loving, tolerant person. You do not have to give up religion to be that. You just have to understand it properly.

On the other hand, you can give up on organised religion and go kill a bunch of people because they anger you for some reason. You can also be stupid, uneducated, evil, without religion.

There are both groups on both sides of this debate.

People should have the right to chose what they want, but they should also keep in mind that their own personal choice is only their personal truth, and not some ultimate truth they have to bring to those "poor people who live in darkness".
Religion itself has never been the problem. Problem are those who want to force others to accept their view or those who look down on everything that does not conform to their view of the world.

Not all religious people are blind. Some can see the light very clearly and can cope with life in this world quite well, while at the same time expecting another existence after this one.

Oh, on the side note, Amelia this is not directed at you personaly, I just quoted you as an opening to my post.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by dixon
So, are you saying that "religions'/"faiths" have actually incorporated the Golden Rule ? If so, then where does this Golden Rule come from ?

I really do not mean to be difficult, but telling me that it can be found in most religions is not telling me WHERE IT CAME FROM.

My dear friend, have you no faith in humanity? The "Golden Rule" is a basic human statute, which all society teaches, regardless of religion. I won't say it is an inherent quality since one is not born with any qualities until taught in later life. Asking where it came from is like asking why it is accepted that cold murder is wrong. It just IS!

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I read your post and I agree with you 110% and is all true, opps not to some, who will not see with open eyes. The law of nature is the true one who has the first, middle and the last affects on the world. No religion has this power but nature. love/peace to all, Macleana

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
God exsists whether you belive it or not. Just becuase man is folly do not blame it on God.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
iceofspades,

if it has to be taught and is not inherent, it has to be learnt and accepted. I agree that being good, loving, caring etc.... is universally accepted as correct. But, if as you postulate, it has to be taught and is "not inherent", then where did this Universal Rule come from ?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I do not judge ANYBODY for their beleifs!!!!
Religions is a good thing in a way for believing that you can have faith in something that is very very strong! That is great and that is what you have to do!
The other thing is good about some religions, it says that you have to love everybody like a brother or a sister and that we are all one.

Now, the worst thing about religion is that nobody do it !People read the bible and take everything as a word of god and that is sad because god wants us to love, not to hate or to judge.

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Amelia, if you take the word of God, you will NOT judge, as it isn't your place. Not agreeing with someone is not the same as judging them. There are many people I disagree with(and their choices) but that doesn't mean I think they are bad people, less, or more than myself or going to hell, or heaven for that matter

No matter what religion or lack thereof one is, one will agree or disagree with words and actions. Doesn't make a person judgemental, but convicted. A wishy washy person who has no opinions is really not worth talking to, do you think?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amelia
I do not judge ANYBODY for their beleifs!!!!
Religions is a good thing in a way for believing that you can have faith in something that is very very strong! That is great and that is what you have to do!
The other thing is good about some religions, it says that you have to love everybody like a brother or a sister and that we are all one.

Now, the worst thing about religion is that nobody do it !People read the bible and take everything as a word of god and that is sad because god wants us to love, not to hate or to judge.

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Amelia there is definitely a vast difference between religion and spirituality. Religion comes with its prescribed set of dogma and ritual, whilst spirituality is a way of life. Both forms are difficult to follow as they both expect certain things from our behavior.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake
Good question LadyV!

I've thought alot about this one too. One thing that I have come up with, is the idea that every human was born with the innate quest to seek out and worship something. Something in our DNA that can't be placed by science. Something that causes us to affiliate ourselves with a supreme being. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a "god". It could be nature (the sun, an animal, the earth), another human (an athlete, a powerful politician, an authority figure in your life), or even yourself (seeing yourself as your own "god").

Whatever it may be, I believe that the desire to worship that entity is placed within us the day we are born. Perhaps this is the "missing link" that seperates us from the animals. Perhaps our creator put that desire in us, but due to man's innability to properly harness that desire, we turn it into a need to exclude others, instead of embracing those who are seeking the same thing.

Good post. Oh, and by the way, what is wrong with people practicing a religion? If we did decide that it is wrong and that we should stop people from practicing religion, then hunted them down if they did, then they would be right wouldn't they?

Many people worship something, such as mpeake said. I think religion might be better than let's say crack coc aine, which many people devote their lives to.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I didn't want bible quoting because it means absolutely nothing to a non Christian...which makes any point your trying to make totally moot! It was as simple as that...you can not prove a point by quoting bible, anymore than I can prove one by quoting The Wiccan Rede.....sheeeeeeeeesh, I
assumed that people would figure that out......speak for yourself, not from a book.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

So, its a board designed for people to debate, and have theyre own opinions, but if they dont agree with you, they can post an opinion contray to what you believe? Thats kindof egotystical isnt it? Ignoring those who have an opinion different then yours?

But it is a thread on religion. That's like a thread about homosexuality that you can't say anything about sex on. Doesn't make sense.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by deesw

But it is a thread on religion. That's like a thread about homosexuality that you can't say anything about sex on. Doesn't make sense.

No...it's a thread on why people "follow" religion.....not about what the bible says.....though it may take a twist.....I wanted honest thought and debate...not quote from books! I want a person's thoughts, not a book. Get it yet?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
We might as well be asking why we follow our Government, its officers, and it's laws.

And we also might as well ask why do well obey our parents, or listen to them

And finally why do we allow the Elderly to stick around?

There is a basic need for Humans to find something to 'worship' a lot of us get caught up with finding out what is the right thing to worship and think what we found is more right then someone else.. it becomes a matter of pride, and sometimes hubris

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
There is a basic need for Humans to find something to 'worship' a lot of us get caught up with finding out what is the right thing to worship and think what we found is more right then someone else.. it becomes a matter of pride, and sometimes hubris

Well, at least someone agrees with me

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Deesw, i dont believe in a councious god i am a taoist, and yes there is plenty of things bigger than me.
I will not stand befor "ANY" enitity to be judged. So i will not need to answer for any of my disbeleifs in a religion that has been based apon intolerance, fear, and oppression.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
This goes back to what I was saying in the thread what is the one true faith. I say religion is a shell a figment of man built to comfort him and give him guidence and companionship. The religious organization ultimately means nothing. I think the only thing that does and will ever matter is that faith and unconditional love from our direct connection with God, and nothing else matters. This is why God has said I search the heart and mind for all those things good and evil, and will give according to those things, for no flesh shall be justified by deeds , but instead by our faith and love for him and his only begotten Jesus Christ. Of God had wanted to judge us by the actions some perform in order to be part of a religion then why seach your heart and mind if all you have to do is join a religion and fallow their words. Better yet then why would he say that the path to him is the narrow and less traveled the ruffer road, the wider road more easy to travel is the wrong path, God dont want it to be easy he wants it to be true and truely displayed by one person to him and Jesus, not a congregation towards him and Jesus.

[edit on 13/2/2005 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I come late to this party but I will throw in my 9 cents anyways. I use to go to church to people watch, only to find out that that was exactly what other people who go to church do also
. Anyways, it is the social structure and the comaraderies that is the main draw of churches, etc.

It is a social gathering, a place to trade gossip and rumors or plan a day out to hunt or fish.

It is so ingrained into us as children that being without it may leave some without a void. If you get married the first thought would not be the church of elvis, it would be the community church. That is my nine and a half cents.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I have found the simple truth I think see what you all think . I think those who cling to organized religion just want to find a way to make a scape goat on judgement day. I mean why take responsibility when you can blame the church for your failures, and ignorance. But you want to know where this train of thought is going to lead them , right down the crapper. they will look apon the face of God and face judgement as we all will, but where they and I differ I wont make excuses or blame anyone else because I am the cause of my problems not the religion who failed to teach me or protect me , etc. There is no safe harbour for the mistakes we make shall bash against us like a ship into the shore during a hurrican. Atleast when I go and face judgement I can say I tryed to do my best and have a clear conscience free of fear for I know those things I have done and have accepted that it was all my fault, and the church or religion wasnt at fault I was.

And please believe me when I tell you I have alot to answer for some things even so bad I wont go into detail here, but sufficed to say violence, drugs, alcohol, and lying are the beginning but not the end I wasn't always a God fearing man who lived in the presnce of God. I was the blackest of afflictions Like a cancer spot on your lung. I regret alot and have repented for all, but I tell you this believe me when I say I know it was my fault and mine is the punishment to bare, not the church which couldnt teach me, not the religion that couldnt protect me and help me. It was all my fault and the worst is that I dream about the violence I inflicted under the cover of justice and peace keeping , and no matter how many people I help or how many lives I haved saved since then , I never loose that image in my minds eye looking someone in the eye when you know you are causing them harm never thinking twice because you made the choice to follow orders, my sin is that I did so with out question , and while some of those I harmed where deserving , because my harming them stopped them from harming others I have noone to blame but myself. God I screwed up is all I can say when God asks me why, and I will go on to say that I am sorry and ready to be punished, the worst part of it is if the images are bad in my mind now when they are foggy and incomplete how bad is it going to be when I have to watch a replay in full detail and then live with it for eternity.

I failed God, I hurt people, I did drugs as a teen , I lied, I drank profusely till my early twenties, I asked for forgiveness, and I WILL TAKE RESPONSIBILITY AND I WILL ACCEPT MY JUDGEMENT.

And most important of all I will live with the faces of those I harmed for eternity and I will spend eternity appoligizing , but I dont want to ask for their forgiveness and I really dont want it , they should not be obliged to do so because I dont deserve their forgiveness nor Gods for that matter.

Come to think of it now you know setting here now I wonder what a normal person would feel , if I can do so and not be any more remorseful than I am and have a ice cold opinion that I did what I did now get onto the next mission in life,and maybe make those choices to cause harm again without a second thought, then what does a person whos emotions are not as cold as ice and learn from their first mistake and regret it and ask forgiveness , what kind of hell are they already in right now having not been judged yet. It must be in my best guess the worse punishment there is. I remember the faces and it only makes me angry and reminds me that if given the choice again that only one more face shall be added but I wouldnt change, I know my failures and unfortunately rule of law and orders followed blindly are sometimes my worst enemy and I regret that I wont think anymore of it other than to say I was doing it in the intrest of society.

That is no excuse either just another sin, the knowledge and acceptance that if put in the same position again I would harm rather than be harmed, and a second thought quite frankley is a fairy tale , what matters is that anyone but the person who deserves it to save another gets hurt
then I failed being an effective machine of society and by my inaction someone innocent got hurt. I cant live with that.

Sad though I actually as writing this look back and wonder while strolling in the sea of faces with those steele eyes staring at me that are in my mind and I think I actually became adapt in harming people, I think I have failed to even have a justified reason for all of them come to think of it, I think there are a couple that sadly I went after for no just reason other than to satisfy my own demons, and that doesnt even prevoke a tear, how did I become this monster, how did I learn to do these things, and is their enough lives out there for me to help and save to attone for my sins, I dont know but it's to late now to wonder all I can do is try to be the best servant of God I can with what time I have left and thats all I can do.

It's never going to be enough but those whom I have touched with that dark side of myself should know they will be avenged on judgement day and if I walk up to them on the street I will tell them to their face I am sorry and God has for me judgement and I will atone for these actions with out excuse of failed religion but an acceptance of personal responsibility.

[edit on 13/2/2005 by drbryankkruta]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join