It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've realised something about US gun control, and I'd like to share it....

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Another person living in a dream world. "If we ban them it'll be harder to get..." wake up! Drugs are illegal so why do we have a drug problem? Is it law abiding citizens selling drugs? No? It's the criminals?! Then why would you think banning firearms would ve any different?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

SO,No more lend lease if they have to repel them?
I AT LEAST need to get TRUEBRIT his own bastard sword...
edit on 6-11-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Obviously...maybe get the warrants after each gang shooting...pretty sure there are still a few judges around who aren’t legislating from the bench, even in CA. Not rocket science and just like I would defend the 2A, I would defend the 4A. Then again, since the 2A is irrelevant to so many of you, maybe the 4A is as well?

The debate is about outlawing all guns, which is hypothesized to stop all shooting deaths, if I interpreted OP correctly. If you can’t disarm the criminals first, or at all, stay the hell away from my ability to defend myself.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
a reply to: PerfectAnomoly

The problem stems from several things:

1) Some people seem to think the US is and should be just like the UK and Australia - The fact is, the US is nothing like the UK or Ozzie land. Not just culture differences and origins differences, but even physical differences (we are not a island nation - we have two other countries that border ours).

I had to stop there.. If you think Australia is in any way an homogeneous group of Bronzed Aussies, ahem... we're Asian, Middle Eastern, Aborigine, White (from everywhere on the globe), African, Italian, Indian, among many others, and yes they even breed with each other sometimes. and we even have those funny looking lot, the Yanks. Can't quite put my finger on what they are. Good thing we have America, a safe place to keep most of them.

I don't think you know much about Australia or the UK if you think YOUR physical differences are so vast.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

I think the ONLY realistic ideas are..

First off , period I think you should need a license/registry system and to qualify.. the threashhd needs to be really low, but I find both of those just common sense.

From there I think these MIGHT HELP/WORK.

A) use technology to make sure we end accidental shootings and stolen guns become useless. I think rfid chips and wristbands or rings are already perfectly consistent.

B) Tbe most radical policy that wouldn’t cause a revolt and might actually help. Is stop the sale NEW fire arms and grand father in all the ones in circulation.

They all become functional collectors items and maybe in a couple centuries they will all have broken or degraded..

That said by then we will likely have hand held rail guns and nuclear powered cell phones..

Who knows...

I just know a ban on future sales with a grandfather clause is historically as far as the most extreme left of the political establishment was willing to go.

edit on 6-11-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

If by slowly dying you mean JBurns is a “rightwing” unicorn in the ATS political discussion I agree completely lol.

Let’s see how long he stays there with all his blasphemous conceding points and logical rebuttal..

Lol

link   

originally posted by: Milkweed
First, guns are here already. There's nothing we can do about that.
Second, why are people from the UK so concerned with US gun law?

Because otherwise legal gun owners are out shooting up churches and making global headlines.

idunno.. got me stumped too.

link   
I don't think we should dismiss this,

The tragic headlines are all too common: A toddler got his hands on his mother's gun and fatally shot his 2-year-old brother in Colorado earlier this month. Two girls caught in the crossfire were wounded in a shooting during a picnic at a Chicago elementary school on Friday. And out of the glare of the headlines, more teens took their own lives.

Now a new report gives the most complete picture yet of the grim toll gunfire takes on American children every year.

Overall, nearly 1,300 children in the U.S. die in shootings each year and another 5,790 survive gunshot wounds -- from handguns, rifles and shotguns -- according to the study published today in the journal Pediatrics.

The tally makes gunshot wounds the third leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 17 years.

www.cbsnews.com...

edit on 11/6/2017 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
I will, without hesitation, protect myself, my family, and my property as the law allows. Here we go...

You've never so much as slapped someone, but believe you could end a life no problems?

Sounds a bit strange...

How many of the guns in the United States are in the possession of law abiding citizens who have never even pondered an unprovoked violent act, and how many are in the hands of criminals?

How come no one ever asks why aren’t we disarmining the criminals? Is it because it’s easier to disarm law abiding citizens? I mean the cops could go door to door in East LA, Southside Chicago, the gang havens of many other cities, and obviously greatly reduce gun deaths by removing illegal guns from those possessing them...yet they don’t...why?

[t]he right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,

Something about the 4'th.. some document or something...

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I am a Brit, I support your right to own firearms. Most of us do not think we should be able to dictate American freedoms.
a reply to: Lab4Us

I'm an Australian. I support the US right to own firearms. But it does come with some mental baggage, which many seem to ignore.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
These days, I'm of the opinion that if a person wants to buy and own something that is sold legally, like a gun, it should not automatically be assumed that they're going to kill somebody or commit a crime with it. Obviously, there are things like plutonium that needed to be regulated, but nobody is using plutonium for hunting or home protection. To instantly equate gun ownership with the worst case scenario of gun ownership and then immediately jump to banning guns seems like an impingement on my right to buy and own things that I believe will improve my life. I'm not a child who needs to have blunt-end scissors.

We're again in a situation where some people think that if banning or controlling a certain thing -- whether it's guns or Muslim immigrants -- can save just one life, then we should do it. Which is nonsense. Personally, I think maintaining the American ideal of freedom is well worth the price of the occasional psychopath going crazy or a terrorist blowing up something.

Besides, if "saving just one life" is really the goal, personal cars should be banned immediately since they kill around 35,000 people a year. Way more than any psycho or terrorist.
edit on 6-11-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I HAT GUNS -First Ice Man ( look Him up ) died over 5000 years back .
What he die from well someone had shot him with a arrow and he was on the run finly dieing on a mountain and freezing for us to find him 5000 years later .
Before guns people were being killed with swords and arrows before swords and arrows people were being killed with spears before spears rocks .
The bible says 5 people on earth Cain Able Adam and Eve .
And with only 5 one still managed to kill the other . Wonder how he did it ?

The point is people kill people and you have two choices History says sooner or later ether you WILL be invaded or your own Government will be who is killing you .

So you can sit and hope like heck or you can be ready with the best weapons you can get .
I HATE GUNS and yet even I know this .

NO government will ever invade the US and our Government Knows there is a line not to cross they keep tring to move it and one day it will be moved to far .
The cost for KNOWING my children can decided enough ! is worth the price .

You know even if our Government decided to declare marshal law Country wide and tried using the military to enforce it the first week would be a lot of people killed the second no so many the 3rd The Government would be falling .

Lots of former Military men here it wont take them long to get it toghter .

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

WE do.
Irresponsibility isn't an issue, accept to the victims of their own acts.
AND your emotional control apparently.
WE are and have been responsible and won't be compared to aberrant behavior, stemming from the individual.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: badw0lf

True, however it is that specific fact which makes guns the only real choice for defensive purposes.

How can I stop a deadly threat without a lethal weapon?

It's something that has to be hashed out and agreed on, which on this topic, will not be an easy task.

Guns don't bother me in the least. If I could, I would have one. But I'd either have become a statistic these past few years of the suicide by gun type, OR shot the bugger who keeps stealing my lawnmower.

And in Australia, that's not on, so I'd have to hide the body then, and move to New Zealand.

I wish there was a tact to take with it, that I was aware of... all I can do is make note of arguments that I've seen brought up before, and reiterate how they don't equate.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5

originally posted by: Tulpa
a reply to: PerfectAnomoly

Criminals still shoot people in the UK.

hardly ever. not in the same universe, let alone ballpark, as the USA gun madness.

And when criminals do shoot somebody in the UK, it's almost always another criminal. Because the vast majority of the small amount of gun crime we have is drug dealers shooting other drug dealers.

You should ban drugs your coc ain epidemic is getting out of hand.

I can't believe how dumb you guys are. These are dangerous kilkers! I don't know why all of you guys think you need drugs anyway.

(That was facetious, it is how people sound to me telling me how I should be)

European Drug Report 2017: The UK leads the sad statistic of drug overdose deaths in Europe

I do get why people in Europe are confused over our attitudes in the US.. We are the dissendants of the people who were sick of you guys and all your laws..

I had so many fights with an ex European gf.. It's odd how much european people think of governments as nannies as if the population are kids. It is something that will be a difference about us for the near and long term future.

Home deliveries of knives bought online to be banned in UK

“The action I am setting out today will help keep people safe and give police the powers they need to crack down on offenders.”

Rudd added that prevention was also a key consideration: “We will be working to educate our young people and give them the strength they need to turn away from knives.”

It's almost comical to Someone of a different mindset. It sounds like an article from the onion.

Here's a funny difference though. I have no desire to tell people in the UK anything about how they want to live. And we fought and killed a bunch of people from the UK so they would stop telling us what to do.
It's really that simple minus the US government empire of control over the whole world, but that's a different topic.

For me as Someone who doesn't own firearms it's almost a moot point if I didn't have that American spirit.. Thing is I'm fighting for more freedom not less and weapons don't scare me.. I don't live my life from fear anger or hate.. That's going towards the dark side. No yoda, but here the dark side is asking for "Big Brother" in a "Brave new world" to Coddle the babes and tuck them in at night..

What everyone seems to be glossing over is the monkey see monkey do effect. You see your parents drink alcohol it's likely to be normalized to you. You see mass death on TV it is more normal to you.. "Hey I could do that and make my own statement!"
The news media should not be normalizing these things. There is a reason I don't watch TV.

edit on 6-11-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

The tally makes gunshot wounds the third leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 17 years.

*drops mic*

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
Average LEOs are unarmed in the UK? Do they have sworn LE duties?

Well, that's an interesting question that underlines some of the differences between the UK and the US police. For a starter, UK police are not "law enforcers" in the style of the US equivalents. The police in England and Wales apply the Peelian principles of policing as described here...

Essentially, the UK police are guided by principles of cooperation and consent, so a gun is sort of out of character as physical force is limited, if not discouraged.

Anyway, the above was a bit off topic. Leave this post with the following article in the Guardian from 2015

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

No link.I doubt you as usual.
AND your bias.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

No link.I doubt you as usual.
AND your bias.

I left a link on my first post, sunshine, if you had bothered to not be in such a hissy fit as to notice. I don't see why you are taking this personally. It's a statistic.

But because it's you, again.

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 11/6/2017 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

HEALERS are not a reliable group they are mostly appalled and compromised in the larger cities,by your same ethic.
SAME story ,SO WHAT?
I have NO guns but Javier can slaughter all he pleases from MS13,OR anther nut can go off as they please.QUIT being deliberately obtuse.
I ALSO swam in FAST rivers..www.livescience.com...
edit on 6-11-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join