It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've realised something about US gun control, and I'd like to share it....

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I appreciate that OSOTC

I would just like to say that I am not against taking reasonable measures to attempt to make an impact here. Truly, I want to save lives and see people have the privilege of growing old like me with a loving family and many friends.

But yes, it would seemingly take a generation to change attitudes that prevail here that is for sure. As far as legislation goes, I just find it hard to accept that any law is going to affect a criminal who isn't constrained by that very law. Of course that doesn't mean it is a waste of time, but any legislation should be thoughtfully created to ensure it is what we really need.

Either way, it is great to have a nice discussion regarding this or any other matter. I really appreciate what you have to say, and would love to hear more of your ideas and thoughts on this issue

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Agreed its good when you can have a mutually respectful discussion on a topic despite having some different views.

This is art that is sadly slowly dying on ATS.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Agreed man

I am guilty of this myself though. I think a lot of it has to do with how much we as individuals internalize our political and societal beliefs.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I hear people talking about issues that are important to me it almost feels like some kind of personal insult. I know it is illogical, because that is absolutely not the case but I can't help but shake that feeling sometimes.

It is definitely something I am working to overcome, trying to be a more analytical/reasoned individual

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I recently realized that the UK and US's views on gun control are so diametrically opposed

That's because some Americans actually opened up a history book and learned a thing or two from the Revolutionary War.

King George banned, and confiscated arms from the colonials.

Our ancestors didn't like that too kindly.

So they preserved the RIGHT in a piece of paper the modern day King George wannabes are ignoring the hell out of.

It's called an "Amendment" for a reason.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

But you can't dodge a bullet!

Thinking back on some of the women I have dated, and seeing how they turned out, I feel like I've dodged quite a few bullets.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: PerfectAnomoly

i think the right to bear arms is more for protection from the government then anything. them banning military type weapons i think is a bad think. doesn't matter if someone is using a gun a knife there hands or a automobile if they want to hurt someone they are gonna do it. making stricter gun laws isn't gonna change a thing criminals don't care about the law.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I'm sure you're a-ok (I would honestly trust almost everyone on this site), I have no problem with people owning and enjoying firearms, but there is a general template for "american gun enthusiast" that people seem to mold themselves around, and those people are way louder than you, it doesn't take much to find them on youtube.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

My brother is a Detective in Elko.
I thought about joining after service...but my control wanes ...and I know it.
Wife beater MUST be bruised,CAN'T be around a child molester...arresting is then optional, when engaged in fire...just NO,Like getting hit in the face I WILL respond so ...NEVER should be a police or LEO member or agent.
I think you guys are getting BIT in the asses by some who aren't as self aware as I ,that are causing TOO many bad shoots.
I heard they were called 3% ers.

If NASTY happens HERE and now yes I can respond with a rifleman's skill ,provided the shot is CLEAR and MANY OTHER rare variables ,but it could happen.
I agree with the overall idea of successful engagement,but THEY USED to jump on it as an issue,if ANY civilian pursued and destroyed a criminal,I can do it of course but I am worried about ignorant hotheads.
edit on 6-11-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I hear people talking about issues that are important to me it almost feels like some kind of personal insult. I know it is illogical, because that is absolutely not the case but I can't help but shake that feeling sometime

well keep it up, sounds like a lesson, myself included, we could all learn from.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
I mean the cops could go door to door in East LA, Southside Chicago, the gang havens of many other cities, and obviously greatly reduce gun deaths by removing illegal guns from those possessing them...yet they don’t...why?

I don't know dude. I mean, just taking a stab in the dark here and all, but maybe the 4th amendent has something to do with it...
edit on 6-11-2017 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

If we made drugs illegal would I still be able to get them at any middle school? Oh wait......that's exactly how it is already.

If everyone had say, 30 guns, imagine how many more accidents there would be?

I have about half that and I haven't shot anybody. Maybe if I get a few more....

Or you know, just have a bad week, let things get on top of you, and viola ! Or not.. who knows.

Just about everyone has a vehicle should we take them away so crazies cant use them to mow people down? What about pressure cookers? They were used in the Boston bombing. We should ban pressure cookers.

A Cars primary purpose is locomotion. A Pressure Cookers primary purpose is to cook food. Neither of them have a specific purpose to kill innocent people. Sure they have been used, but what other purpose does a gun have?

Painting holes in a target...

Unfortunately no headway will ever be made in this debate due to this reason....

So why make a thread asking us rhetorical questions about something you know we wont ever agree on?

To open a discussion? Some are too eager to close it it appears.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Templeton
There might be fewer gun deaths, especially suicides but we would see more vehicle attacks. And we would be helpless to stop them. That was a fun exercise, now let's imagine if every eligible citizen was required to carry a firearm and attend safety classes.

I'm still giving everyone a car, and a license.

Hang on, till the exercise is really over.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Having guns are not the problem. Job security, poverty wages, meaningful work, healthcare security, and retirement security are much bigger problem in causing issues in American society. People are stressed out. People who are desperate will continue to "just snap" as a response to too much stress.

But as long as they have guns, there is no problem.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: leemachino
How did gun control help the victims of the 2015 Paris attack where over 130 were killed? We are coming up in the 2nd anniversary.

How did a gun free-for-all help the victims in LA ?

50 armed rambos all beefed up, wide eyed, and sweating through their tight fitting bandanas wouldn't have stopped that.

As the other poster alluded to, the 10 armed buddies next to him might be able to stop the next one.. or the next one.. or the next one... or the next. next. maybe one day. If they know about it in advance, and get to know the 10 armed buddies before hand, otherwise, you may be packing heat with one of them illegal gang bangers.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
It's our right to own guns. You don't have that right and never will, that's why we fight to keep our rights so that we aren't disarmed sheep like Europe is.

It's the only fight you do with guns.. the rest shoot pictures or go out to the range and pick off those malcontent bottles and cans.

the rest are crims shooting each other or innocent people. There is rarely a "well armed militia" at the ready.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

Criminals still shoot people in the UK. Mostly with handguns.
I've shot pistols myself at a range in the past but managed not to harm anyone.

Plenty of rifle clubs around nowadays. No handguns but if you're not an idiot and you can fill in the paperwork and satisfy some safety issues then its fine.

I'm more likely to get stabbed to be honest.

All those knife clubs where people go to practice their "I can cut a steak" technique, leading to the fall of society... all the knife crime, what happened to the gun crime

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

True, however it is that specific fact which makes guns the only real choice for defensive purposes.

How can I stop a deadly threat without a lethal weapon?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

America keeps guns because of the disgusting horrible rotten red coats we had to use them on.
They are still suggesting that we disarm to this day.
That is the same country that's filling up with middle eastern immigrants

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Average LEOs are unarmed in the UK? Do they have sworn LE duties?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Of all the current recent mass murders, I don't think the motive was "I can't pay my rent! I'm gonna shoot people!"

I think it's ease of access coupled with an unhinged mind. We seek to arrest the unhinged mind if we are aware of it, before it results in tragedy.

We just freely go "Weeeee Have a Gun!" to people in banks and shops, and then stand there scratching our heads going "Hmm, yeah, nah... guns didnt do that shooting. The maniac we gave a gun to did."

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join