It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: New Allegations of US Torture

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
At least 37 prisoners died during US interrogations in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay, reports the US-based World Organization for Human Rights. Released on Thursday, the report said there was "substantial evidence of a US policy that authorised and encouraged the systemic torture of suspected terrorists at US detention facilities..." The US is required to report to the Geneva-based Committee Against Torture every four years, but is running late.

cnews.canoe.ca
A U.S. human rights group accused the United States on Thursday of torturing terror suspects at U.S. prisons in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay, alleging at least 37 detainees have died during interrogations.

The World Organization for Human Rights USA said an upcoming report by the U.S. government to the United Nations Committee Against Torture on its compliance with the UN Convention Against Torture is likely to sidestep torture committed during its war on terror, blaming the abuses on a few "aberrant individuals."

(The report) also alleged that torture is not limited to those captured on the battlefields of Afghanistan and Iraq, saying a number of US residents and US citizens have also been tortured.

"The key point we're trying to make is that the US government is trying to sidestep these issues in its official report to the United Nations Committee Against Torture in order to avoid further embarrassment," Sklar said.

"Contrary to the US government's approach, we believe that the United States itself is responsible for these policies, set these policies in motion and needs to take responsibility for its actions," Sklar said.

Associated Press News Report: Online Free

US Torture, requires free registration

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Associated Press (AP) is a respected international news provider, and is the original source for this story. As of last night, there was no mainstream coverage of the story in the US and allied countries. Access to the AP report is mainly blocked.

The US is denying the allegations and blaming the abuses on a few "aberrant individuals."

The US Military is bound by international rules established under the Geneva conventions, but contract mercenaries and private security corporations are not. The Bush administration mainly uses private international security corporations and contract mercenaries for military actions, and is expanding its private military contracts.

Also, if private militaries are not constrained by the terms of the Geneva conventions, then how can they apply to military robots and nanobots. If the administration can blame current abuses on a few "aberrant individuals," it won't be hard to blame glitches and "malfunctions" instead.

This is a breaking story. Information will be added as it comes available.

Related News Links:
www.theconservativevoice.com
www.narconews.com
www.defensereview.com
www.scienceagogo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...
SCI/TECH: The New Military: Microbots
www.cnn.com...

[edit on 13-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
People actually died? Well, at least that's something
more substantial than calling dirty pictures taken by
a dozen or so National Guardsmen 'torture'.

I don't care. I don't care and I'm sure I'll get flamed for
that but tough. The terrorists are trying to kill us and
destroy America. If they die then it's one less terrorist in
the world. War is brutal. They shouldn't have started it
and they shouldn't have joined the terrorists if they
couldn't handle the heat.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

The US is denying the allegations and blaming the abuses on a few "aberrant individuals."

Of course, the Government would never allow prisoners to be tortured or killed, we're the ones that are crusading for human rights. These are just the actions of a few abberant individuals.

/propaganda

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
People actually died? Well, at least that's something
more substantial than calling dirty pictures taken by
a dozen or so National Guardsmen 'torture'.

I don't care. I don't care and I'm sure I'll get flamed for
that but tough. The terrorists are trying to kill us and
destroy America. If they die then it's one less terrorist in
the world. War is brutal. They shouldn't have started it

More DNC and Liberal 'disinformation" the last line says

"Brian Whitman, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Defence, strongly disagreed with the allegations made by the Washington-based group."

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

The terrorists are trying to kill us and
destroy America. ...War is brutal. They shouldn't have started it

...That is exactly what the terrorists are saying. ...They are also saying that if the US won't follow the rules and renew and sign international conventions - then they, too, refuse to be bound by the constraints.

...The US is ignoring and flaunting laws - and giving terrorists and other nations the argument - on a silver platter - to justify doing the same.

Our international laws and treaties were very hard-won. IMO - We need them.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

They shouldn't have started it and they shouldn't have joined the terrorists if they couldn't handle the heat.

We don't even know if these people ARE terrorists. They've had no trials and there's no evidence. I'm ashamed to live in this country.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by snotbooger

They shouldn't have started it and they shouldn't have joined the terrorists if they couldn't handle the heat.

We don't even know if these people ARE terrorists. They've had no trials and there's no evidence. I'm ashamed to live in this country.

You should be ashamed......

""Under Saddam, there were no rights of appeal," Kardom said. "I begged them to stop as they beat me. It only inspired them to beat me harder."

An Iraqi soldier, who according to the facility's records witnessed the beatings, said interrogators regularly used pliers to remove men's teeth, electric prods to shock men's genitals and drills to cut holes in their ankles.

In one instance, the soldier recalled, he witnessed a Kuwaiti soldier, who had been captured during the 1991 Persian Gulf War, being forced to sit on a broken Pepsi bottle. The man was removed from the bottle only after it filled up with his blood, the soldier said. He said the man later died.

"I have seen interrogators break the heads of men with baseball bats, pour salt into wounds and rape wives in front of their husbands," said former Iraqi soldier Ali Iyad Kareen, 41.

He then revealed dozens of Polaroid pictures of beaten and dead Iraqis from the directorate's files.

The beatings continued until the last days of the old government. Iraqi Maj. Shakir Hamid, 33, and his two brothers said they were arrested March 5 by military intelligence police and charged with being informants for the CIA. They were released by sympathetic Iraqi soldiers last week, Hamid said.

He and his two brothers, Majeed and Shakeer, have cigarette burns on their wrists, the bottoms of their feet and their inner thighs. He pointed out dried blood stains on the cement floor of several jail cells. "The interrogators kept telling me, 'Admit it, you work for the Americans, don't you?' " Hamid said. "Under Saddam, you were found guilty whether or not there was any evidence against you."

Most of the five-story building has been demolished by U.S.-led airstrikes. Steel beams and parts of concrete walls cover the floors. Furniture, files and pictures have been burned beyond recognition."

www.usatoday.com...

Just one story of SADDAM'S era....................

This was torture...................

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Well like I said a while back as soon as Iraq had a "elected government" the law suits against US for abuses will start.

So there you got it I hope bush included the pay outs in his next 80 billion dollars budget, he is after all including the bribery for countries that are "nice" to his policies.

Its so nice to see how our tax payer money goes.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
He then revealed dozens of Polaroid pictures of beaten and dead Iraqis from the directorate's files.

I guess we have dozens of pictures of beaten and dead prisoners now. Does that make you feel better?

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
How quickly the left on this site and in the liberal media are to believe anything negative about a country that they were blessed enough to be born in. This will turn out to be UN BS to cover the current scandals it is having. You know change the headlines, just like before the election.

If you hate MY country get the hell out..............

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

More DNC and Liberal 'disinformation" the last line says

"Brian Whitman, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Defence, strongly disagreed with the allegations made by the Washington-based group."

How does this say disinfo Doc? To me it sounds like somebody denying an accusation so thier arse doesnt get put in a sling.

[edit on 2/11/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   

We don't even know if these people ARE terrorists.

Yeah right. Bad guys with guns shooting at us,
shooting at civilian Iraqis, murdering barbers and bakers,
etc. etc. Guess we should just ask them if they are terrorists
or not. I'm sure they'd tell the truth
I still don't care.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I guess we have dozens of pictures of beaten and dead prisoners now. Does that make you feel better?

You miss the issue. There are thousands of dead tortured Iraqi's dating back decades under Saddam. Even if the 37 are real, and I doubt they are, SO WHAT. You want thousands more, you want to put Saddam back in power. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

We don't even know if these people ARE terrorists.

Yeah right. Bad guys with guns shooting at us,
shooting at civilian Iraqis, murdering barbers and bakers,
etc. etc. Guess we should just ask them if they are terrorists
or not. I'm sure they'd tell the truth
I still don't care.

I agree Flyer. I wonder what all the headless people killed by these terrorists think about this new news of torture and death? Oh wait, they had thier heads chopped off and cant respond.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hey guys - this is real stuff. It's not about left versus right, or Republicans and Democrats.

...It's about respecting international laws, or not. And if we don't, what are we left with?

...Moving on from the first question - I'm worried about a) news censorship - AND b) the fact that private militaries aren't constrained by international laws so probably, robot armies won't be either.

...We are living in a new world, and most of what's happening is not talked about much in public.

...I think we need to catch up, and start talking. Fast.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Well let's not forget the "casualties of war" they are death they also in the thousands and they never asked US for an invasion. Right?

Now the report by Soficrow also state of allegations on US and to US citizens I will like to see more on that.

I do remember a soldier that was mistaken an was beaten to the point of now having seizures it was in the news his personal accounts and how the government has ignore his request for investigation he has not access to medical care by the government either.

I believe it happened in Guantanamo.

I wish I had a link to it. I know he was Spanish.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Oh wait, they had thier heads chopped off and cant respond.

[img][/img]

Yes. It's hard for the hundreds of thousands of murdered Iraqis,
the tens of thousands of murdered Kurdish Iraqis, the thousands
of women who were gang raped and murdered in front of their
families to speak and point fingers at those who did it ...
BECAUSE THEY ARE DEAD. Hence, we have the evidence of the
insurgents who are shooting at US security personnel, shooting
at and blowing up Iraqi police and government officials, etc.etc.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This matter needs to be dealt with all the way up the Chain of Command. If these few individuals were just following orders, then it means the orders were given from the top.

Employees are reflective of the entire Organization.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The torture led to death.... I'd say they were tortured allright.

Guess there's no saying this was harmless, huh?

I'll look forward to the spin on this.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Hey guys - this is real stuff. It's not about left versus right, or Republicans and Democrats.

...It's about respecting international laws, or not. And if we don't, what are we left with?

...Moving on from the first question - I'm worried about a) news censorship - AND b) the fact that private militaries aren't constrained by international laws so probably, robot armies won't be either.

...We are living in a new world, and most of what's happening is not talked about much in public.

...I think we need to catch up, and start talking. Fast.

I agree in regards to the seriousness of cover ups and such. The US's current administraion is bringing us down a very dark path. But as far as the torture itself is concerned, this is war and you need to do what you need to do. The enemy doesnt have kid gloves on, why should we?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join