It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: New Allegations of US Torture

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Oh and btw, where is the proof that this school had anything to do with what happens to priests or those people that are kidnapped..... Who kidnaps who in Latin America?....isn't it the terrorists, or what some people in here call freedom fighters the ones that do this?....

Some people in here should learn spanish and watch Univision to see who kidnaps who and what the terrorists do to regular people in Latin America.... BTW, don't try to feed me that crap of "it's only US propaganda"......

[edit on 13-2-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
So are you suggesting that people taught "interrogation techniques like torture, execution, blackmail" might become model citizens?

...Or are you saying that anyone who can afford the tuition is able to enroll and take the course?

This is what I am questioning.

As hundreds of pages of documentation compiled by the pressure group SOA Watch show, Latin America has been ripped apart by its alumni.

Excerpted from the Guardian link.

I want to know how this group of students pressured and were able to compile this evidence.

Where does the evidence comes from?...

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

So are you suggesting that people taught "interrogation techniques like torture, execution, blackmail" might become model citizens?

...Or are you saying that anyone who can afford the tuition is able to enroll and take the course?

[edit on 13-2-2005 by soficrow]

So this is part of the manuals, my concern is how much of this type of "techniques" are used here in the US, and were also rampant in Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib.

In 1996, under intense pressure from religious and grassroots groups, the Pentagon was forced to release the training manuals used at the school. It was discovered that the manuals:
advocated "torture", "extortion", "blackmail", "arresting the relatives of those being interrogated", and "execution".

These are all terrorist acts. Over its 58 years the school had trained and graduated over 60 thousands Latin American terrorists, who consistently used their acquired skills to wage terror against their own people.

Interesting, I have not clue that this type of training was allowed in the US.

www.arab2000.net...

[edit on 13-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Maudib - the School of the Americas has been an issue in Congress - but it amy have come out in the open before you came to the USA...

Really - check it out - the documentation and history are all there.

School of the Americas

"What is the School of the Americas?

The School of the Americas (SOA) is a US Army training school that trains soldiers and military personnel ...in subjects like counter-insurgency, infantry tactics, military intelligence, counter-narcotics operations, and commando operations. This training is funded by US taxpayers,

SOA graduates have included many of the most notorious human rights abusers from Latin America. SOA graduates have led military coups and are responsible for massacres of hundreds of people. Among the SOA's nearly 60,000 graduates are notorious dictators Manuel Noriega and Omar Torrijos of Panama, Leopoldo Galtieri and Roberto Viola of Argentina, Juan Velasco Alvarado of Peru, Guillermo Rodriguez of Ecuador, and Hugo Banzer Suarez of Bolivia. SOA graduates were responsible for the Uraba massacre in Colombia, the El Mozote massacre of 900 civilians in El Salvador, the assassination of Archbishop Oscar Romero, and the Jesuit massacre in El Salvador, the La Cantuta massacre in Peru, the torture and murder of a UN worker in Chile, and hundreds of other human rights abuses. In September 1996, under intense pressure from religious and grassroots groups, the Pentagon released seven Spanish-language training manuals used at the SOA until 1991. The New York Times reported, "Americans can now read for themselves some of the noxious lessons the United States Army taught thousands of Latin Americans... [The SOA manuals] recommended interrogation techniques like torture, execution, blackmail and arresting the relatives of those being questioned."

There's more. Just click on the link.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Soficrow, i do not deny that it seems that school teaches anti-terrorism techniques etc, etc, and that some of those who have graduated have used what they learned there against their own people. But to say that the school is in this conspiracy and that it is responsible for what some of these graduates have done is outrageous.

A friend of mine once told me. If you stand in one of the busiest streets in the U.S. and you start proclaming anything at all, whether or not you have facts to back your claims, and wether or not what you say is true, soon enough you are going to have a whole army of people protesting with you.

This friend of mine was editor in chief of the Spanish magazine GeoMundo, he was also a recipient of "La Pluma de Plata Mexicana" which is a Mexican literature award.

Quite a few people would believe almost anything, many do not even need proof..... does this mean everything that people protest against is even true? no...

How did this group of students come up with this information... Did they investigate the sources of their claims?.... Where is this information, and how did they get it?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Soficrow, i do not deny that it seems that school teaches anti-terrorism techniques etc, etc, and that some of those who have graduated have used what they learned

But to say that the school is ...responsible for what some of these graduates have done is outrageous.

... "[The SOA manuals] recommended interrogation techniques like torture, execution, blackmail and arresting the relatives of those being questioned."

How did this group of students come up with this information... Did they investigate the sources of their claims?.... Where is this information, and how did they get it?

Well, I already posted that info for you Maudib - several times - the School of the Americas has been an issue in Congress - there is no doubt about this information is true...

Really - check it out - the documentation and history are all there. Your questions will be answered.

School of the Americas

Just click on the link. ...You will learn a lot - for example, that the anti-SOA organization includes Catholic nuns and priests, other Christian Organizations, human rights organizations.... and much more

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Ahem, a preemptive strike policy means attacking
before you are attacked.

Yeah, DUH! That's the whole point of PREEMPTIVE.
Get them before they get us or anyone else.

And so friggn' what if Saddam wasn't a 'clear and
present danger' directly to us. He was funding
terrorists ($50,000 to the families of suicide Palestinian
bombers who were murdering people in Israel,
INCLUDING Americans). Saddam was stealing billions
from the Oil for Food program ... thus killing untold
tens of thousands of Iraqis who in turn didn't get
food or medicine. He mass murdered Kurds by the
tens of thousands, he mass murdereed Iraqis by
the hundreds of thousands, he had rape as a policy
and his people gang raped and then murdered
thousands of women mostly in front of their families.

So friggn' what if he wasn't, at this time, a clear danger
to America. Neither were the Nazis but the right thing
to do was to stop them. Oh .. but Hitler only murdered
Jews, Catholics, and the mentally and physically disabled
and since there was no clear and present danger to America
from him we shouldn't have gone to war against him I suppose.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Oh .. but Hitler only murdered
Jews, Catholics, and the mentally and physically disabled
and since there was no clear and present danger to America
from him we shouldn't have gone to war against him I suppose.

I know that the rest of the world was grateful when the USA finally decided to come onside in WWI and WWII.

As regards torure - it is illegal. For good reason.

This ongoing campaign to justify its use simply shows that the guilt runs deep..

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

CIA prisoners 'tortured' in Arab jails

A former CIA official has confirmed suspicions that dozens of terror suspects have been flown to jails in Middle Eastern countries where torture is routinely practised, and without reference to courts of law.

Michael Scheuer, who once headed the hunt for Osama Bin Laden and left the CIA last November after a 22-year career, said the practice, known as "extraordinary rendition", was seen by the US as a key tactic in its war on terror.

Mr Scheuer said the operation was authorised at the highest levels of the CIA and the White House and was approved by their lawyers.

He added: "The idea that this is a rogue operation that someone has dreamt up is just absurd. I personally have no problem with doing any operation as long as it's justified legal by my superiors."

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join