It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used to believe that white privilege exist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
why don't you create a airBnB account and start experimenting and see about this 'faux' white privilege....

since your in la and im in OC, try going to a cafe in Malibu or Topanga canyon, bring 2 friends, one black, one white... go in one at a time see if there's any differences.

its all a myth... sure.

Or perhaps take the same two people and take a stroll through Camden, New Jersey's most dangerous areas? I'm sure the white friend would surely be treated better than the other... 🙄

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Honestly, ketsuko is just as racist as anyone they might be pointing their finger at.

If one locality does something wrong, surely... CLEARLY....all whites are racist. ALL whites are biased.

And we were all born with privilege.

I've fenced with ketsuko and similar idiots before.

Gotta love the ad hominem, but if it makes you feel intellectually superior. Have at.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

White privilege most certainly does exist, I'm living proof. When I played football for the Lincoln Manor Cardinals as a kid, would you believe the coach gave me (the only white kid on the team) the honor of playing center?

I was just so proud that he picked ME, the scrawny little white kid who could run like lightning and catch a ball behind my back with one hand, to bend over in front of his quarterback and be his first line of defense against guys two or three times my size.

Obviously my whiteness made me a beast and the coach knew it.

That was a genius move in his part too, because it let led to our one and only victory that year when the other team forfeited for some unknown reason... I even got a trophy that day and so did all of my teammates.

They would've never got the chance to bask in that glory had it not been my white privilege to play center.

edit on 13-10-2017 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I wish more people would focus on the things they have in common, rather than on the differences.

Good for you.
edit on 13-10-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Honestly, ketsuko is just as racist as anyone they might be pointing their finger at.

If one locality does something wrong, surely... CLEARLY....all whites are racist. ALL whites are biased.

Gotta love the ad hominem, but if it makes you feel intellectually superior. Have at.

Apparently you beat him in a fencing match and his feelings were hurt.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Let me tell you that in LA many minorities are victims of neoliberalism. Before the early 1990s, LA was a manufacturing center. In 1990 to 1991, many of the factories closed down and moved overseas, causing many minorities to lose their jobs.

This result to their hatred against the Global Elites and was part of the reason why the LA Riots happened in 1992.

In their version of events, they see Henry Kissinger and other Globalists as white supremacists that screwed over people of color here and around the world.
edit on 10/13/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

That's understandable. Of course the real issue isn't race, but economics.

I used to be an end to end free market guy, but was forever cured of that once I saw what globalization was doing here and elsewhere in the world. Only took my first trip to India to see the light.

In any event, thanks for you post. It was a good read and interesting perspective.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Thank you for your honest point of view,
and having the guts to share it with a room
full of strangers.
It was an interesting read with plenty of points
for thought.

S&F www.youtube.com...

edit on 13-10-2017 by Wildmanimal because: add link

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

I don't think you understand what exactly it's meant by white privilage. It is, as you may already be aware, the idea that there is still a bias against people of color when compared next to whites. The belief itself has little to nothing to do with whether there are whites who suffer financially and economically along with blacks. At the end of the day it is this belief that the white person will always have the advantage over those of color merely based on bias perception.

I'll give you an example of what white privilage means. You have a Hispanic man and a White man attend an interview. The hispanic man performed a little better in the interview and holds more experience than the white man. The white man still gets the job in the end because of this bias he'd perform a better task merely because of his racial background. Both of these individuals may be from the same class background. Poor families, have had to struggle financially. But that's besides the point, the white man got the job because of his race in the end. The interviewers would not know about eithers class backgrounds in the end, they just see races.

Yes. People see race.

My husband applied for a job out of state a few years back. His given name is common among black men. He was interviewed on the phone and they were very excited about him. He also has a deep, resonate voice and over the phone, well, he sounds black. They invited him for an interview and were surprised and somewhat dismayed that he was white. This was for a mid level managers position at a hospital.

He declined to name his race on that application and on any application because he never receives a call back when he marks the box "caucasion".

Affirmative action or racial/cultural bias or some combination... I don't know.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

I did this because I notice some here are questioning why a lot of minorities hated white people and I wanted to add my input. Obviously others may have different answers but I'm pretty sure my observations explains some of the reasons.
edit on 10/13/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Apparently you beat him in a fencing match and his feelings were hurt.

I wouldn't know. I don't think I am smart enough to have figured that out.

At any rate, everyone knows that racism exists. I don't think anyone claims it doesn't. So that makes the white privilege thing so insidious. Since whites are still a majority, all it takes is for someone to find an example of a time when it appears they were passed over by a white for a white to claim that it's proof of white privilege, and there need be no examination of circumstance.

I wonder ... what was the fireman who brought the watermelon heard round the world a victim of?

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I wonder ... what was the fireman who brought the watermelon heard round the world a victim of?

Fruitloop logic.

Fortunately, many black firefighters came out to support him.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

So, after reading all that, the core to be harvested from that rotten fruit is that you are racist.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I can say this....

Back in the late 70's I did a test to be a millwright... it wasn't an easy test and only about 10 of us passed the test.

When I went to be interviewed, one of the ten was a black woman... the people in the room were talking about she was a shoe in for one of the few positions available because she was a twofer.

I didn't know what a twofer was so I had to ask.... I was told because she was black and female....she was a shoe in because they got to check off two bookmarks....they hired a black and a woman at the same time.

She got hired.

Before you go hating on me, I am a white man married to a black woman.

Certain privileges exist on both side of the proverbial coin.

Just sayin.

edit on R362017-10-13T23:36:06-05:00k3610Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
The issue has never been about race,it`s always been about class warfare and always will be.The rich are outnumbered so they have to keep the non rich fighting among themselves.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
White privilege is a deflection of responsibility. It's the 2017s boogie man.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

The rich are outnumbered so they have to keep the non rich fighting among themselves.

If only we (the non-rich) weren't so eager to do it... Utopia would be easy.

edit on 14-10-2017 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I'm just curious, but why do we have to have endless minutia redefining the same core concepts?
It all boils down to the terms "bigotry" and "prejudice". Splitting hairs by calling out "racism", "ageism", "sexism", or "white privilege' or whatever you call prejudice for religious or handicap reasons, seems in itself, a deflection. Getting caught up in the different variations seems counterproductive.

Let's just say people need to learn how to look at situations from more than one point of view and be open to other ways of seeing the world? And maybe they also have to remember to quiet their egos and admit when they're wrong?

Of course that brings up self-delusion and denial of what is obviously non-compassionate and reflexive thinking. As in not applying the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" ideal which seems to make good sense.

Then again, that's my perspective.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Considering my husband was in that situation in Kansas as a to all appearances white male who was in an interview against a minority female, all other things were equal and he did not get the job

And let me take a guess, he and you decided the blame it on affirmative action rather than how he performed? Because it's much easier blaming it on minorities then actually looking at yourself? I get you.

Funnily enough my dear brother decided to use that excuse over the times he failed to gain employment. This latino got a job probably because of a quota and that black guy and this black woman. Eventually he set himself straight and worked on how he attended interviews. He stopped scapegoating.

But hey, it's all anecdotal evidence in the end right?

They hired her because she could check the boxes and all other things were equal.

Oh I trust you found this information from the managers themselves.

Lord knows all blacks lack the ability to actually get decent jobs, it's all for quoatas, so we'll blame them for your husband's short comings.

Right.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Thing is though is that many of the elitist white people tend to look down on even poor whites. My point is white privilege only applies to elitist whites.

The fact that the super wealthy look down upon all the lower classes does not change the racial bias out there brought upon by the managers, business owners, police etc. on non-whites, in particular blacks. The idea of 'white privilage' extends to this idea that, for example, that police officer would treat a black person with much more aggression and be more likely to arrest them compared to a white person doing the same thing. That police officer obviously isn't part of what we'd define as the 'wealthy elite' but he still abuses his power on the basis of racial bias. The small business owner would have a bias in favour of white applicants compared to black applicants. Tha small business owner certainly isn't part of the wealthy elite. The idea of 'white privilage' and racial bias extends well beyond the wealthy elite.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join