It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used to believe that white privilege exist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I do agree with the part that police tend to act aggressively toward people of color. This has it's origins in the 1970s when Nixon and his successors both Republican and Democrat launched the War on Drugs as a way to attack minority communities.

Don't forget the role of the CIA in drug trafficking in minority communities during the 1980s.

edit on 10/14/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Black privilege. Where I work you can't get a manager position unless you're black. The only white guy who was a manager they got rid of his whole department and gave a manager position to someone with no experience, who didn't even have the needed master's degree yet.

My wife is Filipino, from Manila, she's a big Trump fan and thinks white privilege is mostly fake news.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

They act aggressively towards everyone. They kill more white people than anyone.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Please go off of what your observations and brain tell you. Not anecdotal evidence and false narrative.

Is there privilege in the world? Of course. But ask yourself if this makes sense: Does genetic variation act as the catalyst for the privilege? Is the correlation significant? I believe you have already answered your own question regarding this.

If not, what does generate a strong correlation? You have also addressed this. Wealth (or lack there of) is demonstrably waaaay more significant. Matter of fact, wealth (ergo power) has a long a healthy history of significance with human beings.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

White privilege most certainly does exist, I'm living proof. When I played football for the Lincoln Manor Cardinals as a kid, would you believe the coach gave me (the only white kid on the team) the honor of playing center?

I was just so proud that he picked ME, the scrawny little white kid who could run like lightning and catch a ball behind my back with one hand, to bend over in front of his quarterback and be his first line of defense against guys two or three times my size.

Obviously my whiteness made me a beast and the coach knew it.

That was a genius move in his part too, because it let led to our one and only victory that year when the other team forfeited for some unknown reason... I even got a trophy that day and so did all of my teammates.

They would've never got the chance to bask in that glory had it not been my white privilege to play center.

Awesome story.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
I can say this....

Back in the late 70's I did a test to be a millwright... it wasn't an easy test and only about 10 of us passed the test.

When I went to be interviewed, one of the ten was a black woman... the people in the room were talking about she was a shoe in for one of the few positions available because she was a twofer.

I didn't know what a twofer was so I had to ask.... I was told because she was black and female....she was a shoe in because they got to check off two bookmarks....they hired a black and a woman at the same time.

She got hired.

Before you go hating on me, I am a white man married to a black woman.

Certain privileges exist on both side of the proverbial coin.

Just sayin.

To clarify... a twofer is two for the price of one.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

You are the one who started this by claiming that *if all else is equal* the minority will not be hired in preference of hiring the white.

This was an entry level position, so there was no past performance to draw on.

I said ... all things were equal.

The only difference between them was her status as a woman and a minority.

So if he needed to reflect on his past performance, then so does any minority candidate who gets passed over.

This does not just happen one way.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

I don't think you understand what exactly it's meant by white privilage. It is, as you may already be aware, the idea that there is still a bias against people of color when compared next to whites. The belief itself has little to nothing to do with whether there are whites who suffer financially and economically along with blacks. At the end of the day it is this belief that the white person will always have the advantage over those of color merely based on bias perception.

I'll give you an example of what white privilage means. You have a Hispanic man and a White man attend an interview. The hispanic man performed a little better in the interview and holds more experience than the white man. The white man still gets the job in the end because of this bias he'd perform a better task merely because of his racial background. Both of these individuals may be from the same class background. Poor families, have had to struggle financially. But that's besides the point, the white man got the job because of his race in the end. The interviewers would not know about eithers class backgrounds in the end, they just see races.

In the end there are people suffering economically all around the country, across all races. This is a certain thing, and I'd agree it's important to come together as one to resolve the issue of poverty. That in itself does not dismiss this idea of racial bias. In the end if you're walking down the street, nobody is going to immediately know your background in terms of being working class or lower class etc. They'll just see you as a person and they may make judgements mostly on what race you are as you explained about your latino friend and his father in Beverly Hills.

Hmmmm...so based on your hypothesis, if the interviewER were hispanic, the hispanic would be hired because of hispanic privilege (bias).

As a white male, I understand white privilege exists in some institutions, however I think your example may be confusing because it’s more about prejudice (pre-judging) toward the hispanic candidate. Most consider white privilege the benefits handed down from generation to generation that blacks and other minorities didn’t have the opportunity to initially earn/own due to slavery, being immigrants, etc.

What most don’t understand is everyone white didn’t inherit what they have, nor do they have a rich aunt/uncle providing $.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

I don't think you understand what exactly it's meant by white privilage. It is, as you may already be aware, the idea that there is still a bias against people of color when compared next to whites.

And what you guys dont seem to understand is the irony of broadly generalizing an entire group based on skin color while lecturing about "bias against skin color". The "white privilege" narrative is nothing more than a justification to hate and blame white people. It's meant to dehumanize whites and cast them as "the other". The whole "people of color" narrative is similar and meant to cast whites as separate from the rest of humanity. All of this is leading to an inevitable call for genocide.
edit on 14-10-2017 by HeadCrunchMcRockGroin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I am well aware whites are also victim of police brutality. Look at the white boy with the wii remote and the white lady whom got killed by a cop a while ago.

My point is here in LA whites are less likely to be victims of police brutality. Most of the victims are Blacks and Latinos because they are the ones whom are mostly working class or poor.

Let me tell you a story. In 1992, when the LA Riots (Or Uprising according to some people here) many of the Korean storeowners and other innocent minorities were abandoned by the cops because the cops retreated and protected only the rich people.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

My point is here in LA whites are less likely to be victims of police brutality. Most of the victims are Blacks and Latinos because they are the ones whom are mostly working class or poor.

Do you have stats to back that up? Also, are those two groups also more likely to commit violent crime?

edit on 14-10-2017 by HeadCrunchMcRockGroin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: HeadCrunchMcRockGroin

Well I am talking about my observations here. I can be wrong and others may have a better answer

This is a prevailing belief among minorities in LA.

And yes they are more likely to commit violent crime here in LA since many of them came from terrible neighborhoods.

I partly blame external factors like for example the CIA drug dealing in minority communities in the 80s thus devastating them and keeping them and their children in poverty.

I also blame gangsta culture which also further destroyed minority communities.

Look if you really want to understand how things work come to LA. I think you'll understand what I mean.

LA is not like the rest of the country as Metallicus said.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Yes, and those very same Elitist, Rich Whites who only hire from their social circles, all voted for Hillary. All us poor whites who are struggling right along with you, living in the same neighborhoods, working shoulder to shoulder, elbow to elbow right next to you at the same backbreaking jobs, we all voted for Trump, along with a sizeable portion of our non white, non male, non straight friends.

The globalists, have been playing the heart strings of minorities & guilt-wracked whites like a fiddle for far too long. It's time to tell tbem, we no longer accept these emotion based appeals, we want logic based solutions that effect the lives of Humans. And stop dividing Human Being into different categories, and the rest will take care of itsself. All humans have the same needs, there is no need to pander to a specific category of ppl, because we all want the same thing.

Illegal immigration is gonna hurt you as much as me. Us trump voters care ❤ about immigrants the most, because it breaks my heart when i think of all the poor, innocent children and hardworking people who are just trying to do the right thing and immigrate legally, but these POOR IMMIGRANTS get pushed to the back of the line when these illegal bullies elbow their way to the front, upending the whole system and saying No! Me First And Screw Everyone else, to their fellow immigrants.

Meanwhile the cartels and their stateside soldiers ms13 or La Emme or w/e (cant recall the politics atm but u get the idea...) profit from running the smuggling routes, and use the same routes for human trafficking for sex slavery. I dont know how anyone could defend this...

Nobody on the left seems to give a damn about Those immigrants... They only speak for illegal immigrants, not the legals who get pushed back further and further in line...good, honest people just trying to do things the right way...everytime an illegal shoves their way to the front... An illegal who ARRIVED with the mindset of "me me me" and No respect for legal immigrants and No respect for rule of law and order...

These are the ones who are so heavily favored over the honest, patient, respectful, considerate, LEGAL immigrants who we all know and love as our neighbors, best friends, and co workers.

I swear, its almost like the cartels have some kind of special arrangement with certain elements of our gov.

A criminal organization right next door with an unlimited budget?

Nah, why would they have any interest influencing our political process?

Why would insane amounts of money be interesting to anyone?

Only Russia would try to influence our gov. All this stuff that benefits the cartels is just a coincidence... Billary's connections to drug AND human trafficking are just an accident. And "clearly in the past".

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Could not have been written better.

I just watched a WW II documentary and at the end it had a 85 year old vet from the US tank forces in Europe. He said that after the German's surrendered and he had time to communicate with them, the first thing they did was....Pulled out pictures of their family.
He added that the war didn't happen because of people , it happened because of the politicians.

And so will the next war.

edit on 14-10-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

It's well known that the cartels have ties to the CIA so they have a reason for keeping the US Mexico Border open.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Just like to point out that the reasons some people are discriminated against is so varied that it is absurd to tie it down to a racial bias.

I am a southern born white male, I have been discriminated against because of my accent at pretty much every base I have been at.

Southern accent and white... must be racist (common thing I ran into with folks of color when we first met, usually ended up hanging out with them because white people have a tendency to irritate me) , If I was up north, Southern accent must be an idiotic inbred hick, and get treated as such.

Over seas, southern accent just out right laughed at.

That is just from my speech, I also wear boot cut wranglers, a nice pair of boots is preferred by me over sneakers. Dressed like that I also get judged well before I say or do anything, except in Spain... in Spain I was treated very well, they all assumed I was working as a cowboy in country.

There are many ways to judge someone that have nothing to do with skin color, its a cop out to boil it down to white privilege.

If you come into my place of business looking for a job wearing a wife beater and your pants drooping I am going to tell you no, skin color makes no difference.

Many of the people claiming white privilege stopped them from moving forward in life ignore the red flags they threw up by something as small as dress and appearance.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Sorry about what happened. You don't deserve that kind of treatment.

Btw the stereotype that Southerners are racist is part of the reason why there seems to be anti-white sentiment here in LA.

I know it's off topic but I find the Southern accent really cool.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
And whites do this to each other, depending on religious differences, whether you have a degree or not, whether or not you are a manager.

In my Dad's time, whenever there was a workplace party, all the people with degrees would sit at one table, while those without degrees would sit at another. In one of my past workplaces, all the managers would sit at one table, while the engineers would sit at another. In my high school it always seemed that anyone who was Roman Catholic and in a particular suburb was in the top classes while everyone else was in the remaining classes. You'll see that in Hollywood as well. One religious group are at the very top, while everyone else is underneath.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The idea of white privilege is a master mind classic Marx/Leninist divisionary tactic. It feeds into and builds black resentment even in those that resist its oversimplified explanation of conditions, pisses of half of whites and guilt rides the rest. More subliminal, but as powerful, it feeds poor and working white resentment of other whites based on class strata and economic resentments as well fueling resentment of black wolf crying when they are already given what amount to reparations.

edit on 14-10-2017 by Logarock because: n

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

They act aggressively towards everyone. They kill more white people than anyone.

Yeah, i was brutalized by police and have had 7 or more of their guns aimed at me at once, been told by my friends that "when the _______ police find you they said you'll 'be arrested at gunpoint'" because they made a huge mistake one time that they had me in their custody.

I've also been bullied, came home from school crying more than once or twice, felt left out and not good enough, ive lived in poverty, im not sure what poverty is in america anymore other than homelessness but I'm definitely poor, but that doesn't bother me so much anymore. What little i have, i share with others, anyway, so, it would never really be possible for me to amass a large quantity of money or any other valuable resource, except i have a little over 100 books. My books are my most valued possession, my one indulgence I allow myself, but I am known for giving and/or lending my most prized books as well.

Anyway, my point is we are ALL struggling, and I can understand the tendancy to want to find someone to blame, but it seems like none of my suffering is valid because i was white throughout it all. My white heart isn't capable of human emotion... it cannot be broken, is what I've been taught to believe. My childhood was a series of traumatizing events, but, hey, at least I was white, is the attitude I'm supposed to have. I'm supposed to brush aside all these feelings so I can feel bad for someone who didn't get the job they wanted. I've rarely gotten or had a job i wanted.

But if someone got called the N word (when is the last time that happened? Kramer from Seinfeld? When it was meant a joke? I haven't heard that word used in it's proper, hateful "i wish i could kill you or enslave you" context...ever?) , the whole world would come crashing down, even though they call eachother it all the time.

Does that make it right to use that word? No. But is it the end of the world? No more than it was when a black dude glared at me as we walked past eachother, or when a black girl stopped chatting with me (online,using a chat app) once she saw my selfie. Or the native girl who told me she hates white boys. Or my Cambodian ex gf's 14 year old cousin saying "God, I HATE white people!" then seeing me on couch "Oh, but Not you, though!"

Its really not a big deal unless let it bother you, and whites are dealing with more anyone at this point. Most whites i know wouldn't enter their mind do of the above which i witnessed/experienced/"endured" at the hands of "evil racist" minorities, lol...

I don't worry about it. The guy who glared was probably having a bad day. My ex's cousin will likely grow out of her views, as her older cousin she loves is now dating another white guy. I suspect her frustration may have had more to do with HS/MS school drama, like maybe a white girl is dating the boy she likes, or maybe her best friend started dating a boy who happens to be white, and started spending more time with him and less with her, or it could be any petty little reason. Or maybe she has just happened to have mostly bad experiences with white people, orl notice it more when a white person is rude because we have all been taught to pay special attention to our interactions with other races. We've been taught that whenever another race is negative towards you, its bc of racism. Nobody is allowed to have a bad day anymore.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join