It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers to describe phenomenon "never witnessed before"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Ill stick hundred on a wormhole đź‘Ť
And as a side bet 20 on a stargate đź‘Ť

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It's The Borg...we're all doomed, doomed I say!!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Perhaps these discoveries are in relation to the "Dyson Sphere" - like phenomenon around KIC 8462852 that they have been trained on for the past year ...

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The LIGO (MIT)/Virgo announcement says there was no visible light in the gravitational wave they both, separately, detected. The area they were looking at had a bunch of sister telescopes swing in the direction and there was no visible light. That, from MIT, kind of rules out merging neutron stars. Which is a bummer because I so wanted it be two visible stars merging! That all came out of the tweet from the guy who said it was "mind blowing".

Unless there was a definitive attempt to put the lid back on the entire neuron stars merging story, then this actually might be something!

Guess: Exo-planet related. Visible evidence of an ocean, maybe?

Wrong! As usual. The news involves both visible and gravitational waves. ESO will issue a press release at the start of the press conference!
edit on 12-10-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: this has got scientists excited!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
The LIGO (MIT)/Virgo announcement says there was no visible light in the gravitational wave they both, separately, detected.

My first though was "Black Hole". That would be almost a confirmation, if there are gravity waves, but no visible light.

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
The LIGO (MIT)/Virgo announcement says there was no visible light in the gravitational wave they both, separately, detected. The area they were looking at had a bunch of sister telescopes swing in the direction and there was no visible light. That, from MIT, kind of rules out merging neutron stars. Which is a bummer because I so wanted it be two visible stars merging! That all came out of the tweet from the guy who said it was "mind blowing".

Unless there was a definitive attempt to put the lid back on the entire neuron stars merging story, then this actually might be something!

Guess: Exo-planet related. Visible evidence of an ocean, maybe?

Wrong! As usual. The news involves both visible and gravitational waves. ESO will issue a press release at the start of the press conference!

That crossed out bit about exo planet was my guess too, last page.

Sticking to it unless you already know wassup?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
If it's really based on something to do with gravity than the theory of planet 9 is based on gravitational pull. That is new isn't it?

a reply to: JimOberg

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg
Probably NOT SETI-related but then, everything in space could be....

From my friend Leonard David's blog....

The European Southern Observatory (ESO) has announced it will hold a press conference on October 16, 2017 at 16:00 CEST [14:00 UTC], at its headquarters in Garching, Germany, to present “groundbreaking observations of an astronomical phenomenon that has never been witnessed before.” This is an “unprecedented discovery” the ESO statement notes.

To keep eye and ear out for this ESO announcement, go to:

www.eso.org...

Hey Jim perhaps you could speculate?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

Dammit! Can't do multiple replies at the moment.. Grrr.

My original thought is "neutron stars merging" but the first announcement seems to negate that.

But that it is how it feels.

We'll see!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Drunk and on phone,,. Sorry!

No insight on my part, but the silence is deafening!

This should be good!!

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

OOO!! I know!!

Pac Man is going to eat the moon!!!

Alright, in all seriousness, cool announcement, and could be quite interesting! Hopefully, it's not, "We are going to observe this huge, previously unknown asteroid as it heads on a direct collision course for the Earth.", or something to that effect!

More likely, it won't be too impressive, but who knows??

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

lol.. ye and i bet SG1 will come out of said stargate ! .. whats the odds

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I bet they have discovered Klingons on Uranus... i jest i jest

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quadlink
a reply to: Denoli

lol.. ye and i bet SG1 will come out of said stargate ! .. whats the odds

DAniel looks up at O neal. See i told you we dialed the wrong address again Jack.
Oneil: yeah yeah yeah. i owe ya for betting it was a new route to pegasus.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
It's not gravitational waves.

An article was already posted like 3 weeks ago stating they finally saw gravitational waves.

It has to be something we DONT know

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

ha awesome

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I bet its something to do with dark matter, or dark energy

ever since gravitational waves were discovered I think things are just going to start going like a run of dominoes

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

I am not sure what you are getting at.

I mean, yes, we need to be able to think larger thoughts to conceptualise space and what may or may not go on within it, but that has been the case since the first scholar looked heavenward in wonder and fascination.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Again, it is not going to be something mundane like an asteroid, of any kind, headed Earthward or not. Asteroids, do not have enough mass that a gravitation wave observatory would even be able to measure their presence, as far as I understand it!

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: Gothmog

I bet its something to do with dark matter, or dark energy

ever since gravitational waves were discovered I think things are just going to start going like a run of dominoes

That would be my guess....(or my hope to put it better)
Fill in all the missing "pieces"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join