It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers to describe phenomenon "never witnessed before"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Probably NOT SETI-related but then, everything in space could be....

From my friend Leonard David's blog....

The European Southern Observatory (ESO) has announced it will hold a press conference on October 16, 2017 at 16:00 CEST [14:00 UTC], at its headquarters in Garching, Germany, to present “groundbreaking observations of an astronomical phenomenon that has never been witnessed before.” This is an “unprecedented discovery” the ESO statement notes.

To keep eye and ear out for this ESO announcement, go to:

www.eso.org...

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Jim Buddy...

You're on the in, give us more.

By registering for the conference, journalists agree to honour an embargo, details of which will be provided after registration, and not to publish or discuss any of the material presented before the start of the conference on 16 October 2017 at 16:00 CEST.

www.eso.org...

I'm sure that is SOP, but still enticing.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
The birth of a star or a galaxy

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Both have been witnessed, so this should be something new.

C'mon Jim, just a little hint please Sir? I have a couple good sources and have not been told a thing about any big new discoveries.

Dropping emails to pry now!

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth

Both have been witnessed, so this should be something new.

C'mon Jim, just a little hint please Sir? I have a couple good sources and have not been told a thing about any big new discoveries.

Dropping emails to pry now!

Its going to be a "nothing" to the layman.
Unless , dark matter/dark energy.....

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

It’s almost always just marketing..

They aren’t lying.. just speaking from academic to academic, not from academic to lay person..

For us a “ground breaking discovery “ seems like maybe aliens or something that rewrites physics..

For a physicist ground breaking might be “we found 30 planets orbiting a Bianary star system. Something the math says shouldn’t happen in that great of numbers.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Could be another form of the “ bullet galaxy” where they gravitationally observered dark matter..

Something that only a physics major would likely truely comprehend the relevance of...

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Jim sorry , but SETI, NASA, and the European Southern Observatory are too late to the game .

Apparently an ex rock band member is making THE big self promotion I mean announcement today, that goes by the name of Tom Delonge

edit on 131031America/ChicagoWed, 11 Oct 2017 11:13:33 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I hope it has something to do with Comet C/2017 K2: Hubble Spots Rare Visitor from Oort Cloud it seems pretty weird to me.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I did hear somewhere that the invisible matter, formerly not seen, and that binds galaxies has been observed in some form or another, maybe someobody can enlarge on that.
edit on 11-10-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
I did hear somewhere that the invisible matter, formerly not seen, and that binds galaxies has been observed in some form or another, maybe someobody can enlarge on that.

Well, I guess Dark Matter is out so?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It's related to gravitational waves, because many of the scientists attending the event are from LIGO/VIRGO

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
whats wrong with everybody
unprecedented

unprecedented adjective UK ​ /ʌnˈpres.ɪ.den.tɪd/ US ​ /ʌnˈpres.ə.den.t̬ɪd/ ​ C2 never having happened or existed in the past:

never happened or existed, it means what it says, so none of us can guess thats for sure

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
It's life Jim.. but not as we know it.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leeman
It's related to gravitational waves, because many of the scientists attending the event are from LIGO/VIRGO

I second that. It might be supermassive black holes swallowing each other or something. There will probably be no visual interest.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Maybe they were able to image the source of the 4th detected gravitational wave.
www.theverge.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Doomsday asteroid ?
Two weeks until impact

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

You could easily be right, but they make it sound all juicy like something not released to the public yet.

As Josh stated though, there's always money to be made.

And as for Tom Delonge, his release today is probably not related. He's not in the know any more than other prying inquisitive minds.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

If you are talking about this...

ATS Thread: Missing Half of Normal Matter in the Universe Has Been Detected

...Then it should be pointed out that the "missing half" being referred to here is NOT the missing matter that is described as "Dark Matter", but something else instead.

The discovery being discussed in that thread is missing "Normal Matter", also called Baryonic Matter, and is the stuff we, the Earth, and all of the other matter we can see is made of -- which is not the same thing as dark matter.

Cosmologists think that the universe is made up of 5% to 10% normal/baryonic matter -- but only half of that normal matter has been accounted for. This new study purports to have identified the rest of that missing normal matter.

However, dark matter is still thought to exist, and it is still a mystery as to what it is.

edit on 2017/10/11 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Maybe seeing a black-hole for the first time? The Event Horizon Telescope has been doing some imaging:

The EHT involves eight radio telescopes across the globe working together to capture the first image of a black hole.

Milky Way's Black Hole Portrait in Progress

Event Horizon Telescope

Seeing the Unseeable

From what I read in the above article the final images are to be finished/processed in November...so maybe? I just don't know the ESO connection (or if there are any).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join