It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers to describe phenomenon "never witnessed before"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: TheOnlyBilko

yes.
There's a documentary about it.
www.imdb.com...

Hahaha nice

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   
It will be something they hype up about(Like they always do in these cases), and turn out to be something ultra lame and uninteresting to 95% of the population.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Tomorrow is the day of announcement...

I hope it will be worth the wait.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
"Unprecedented" does sound pretty big but you know how that goes with science nerds. They've spent their entire lives waiting to measure something that's never been recorded before and to them, it's the most amazing thing ever.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
"Unprecedented" does sound pretty big but you know how that goes with science nerds. They've spent their entire lives waiting to measure something that's never been recorded before and to them, it's the most amazing thing ever.

True. While the "amazingness" of this scientific finding might be real, that "amazingness" might also be quite esoteric.

But just because I may not be able to appreciate it given my experiences, knowledge, and sensibilities, that doesn't mean it would be any less valid for a scientist who understands it to fond it truly amazing. That is to say, I'm not going to gauge the experiences of other people by my own experiences.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Monday ! One more day for click bait esque news

a reply to: JimOberg

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
dont get excited people, they do these kind of announcements all the time and they usually are pretty cool if you an astronomer.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: zetaReticulous and they usually are pretty cool if you an astronomer.

Don't know so much about that even. I used to be an amateur astronomer (many years ago) and I have still become frustrated with them getting the public all hyped up over things the average person doesn't appreciate.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

to describe phenomenon "never witnessed before"

Well it can't be anything along our lines, because military generals, former presidents etc have witnessed UFOs before and testified. Not to mention hundred thousands of normal people. So applying "never witnessed before" doesn't make sense here.

Unless of course, it's the science academy accepting that they've papered over it for 60 odd years. I'm sure social media sheeple would lap that up no end. But like others say I'm also pretty sure it's just a regular celestial occurrence that was never caught on scientific equipment before.
edit on 16-10-2017 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

They need publicity because they are fighting for funding, but the disappointment these overhyped announcements cause is counterproductive.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

The mistake there is in people permitting themselves to top out at "average" rather than exceptional.

I personally dislike the hype, but the data is always interesting.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
For anyone interested the link to the live broadcast is now up on the ESO site linked in the op.

Video stream is at YouTube in approx 2 hrs.

edit on 16-10-2017 by beetee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: beetee

Its good that you placed that here!

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

They need publicity because they are fighting for funding, but the disappointment these overhyped announcements cause is counterproductive.

People outside of ESO are creating the hype, not ESO nor it's announcement of the press conference.

Here is the complete announcement for scheduling the media conferecne. There is no hype here; just matter-of-fact statements:

ESO will hold a press conference on Monday 16 October 2017 at 16:00 CEST, at its Headquarters in Garching, Germany, to present groundbreaking observations of an astronomical phenomenon that has never been witnessed before.

Since this result may have very wide interest we are also inviting members of the public to view the press conference online at www.eso.org/live starting at 16:00 CEST.

We cannot take questions from the public during the press conference, but anyone who wishes to interact with the people involved in the discovery can attend a Reddit Ask Science AMA session on redd.it... , starting 18:30 CEST. Details will be provided from Monday 16 October 2017 16:00 CEST on ESO’s social media channels.

An ESO press release will be published at the start of the conference on ESO’s website at eso.org. Translations of the press release will be available in several languages.

The laymen who read this, on the other hand, try too hard to speculate what the "astronomical phenomenon that has never been witnessed before" and make wild assumptions about aliens and the such.

The same goes for NASA media conferences about their research findings. The words used in the announcements of the media conference usually contain no hype, but the hype instead comes from the people on the interwebs and the media.

edit on 16/10/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Aww its hype regardless its a new never before seen phenomenon
that is quite rare now , when we humans think we know everything there is to know about the universe
nothing is a mystery , but this is !

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Just so you all dont work yourselves into a frenzy, tonights press conference in washington isnregarding GRAVITATIONAL WAVES.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: beetee

so 45 Min to go, exited and hope they dont disappoint us

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: zetaReticulous

cant be becayse this was already covered in the LIGO nobel prize in physics , when they done their release conference.

This is something new completely

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Google gravitational waves, theyve seen o e forming thats all it is. GRAVITATIONAL WAVES.

Jesus, all you need to do us check twitter or google.

twitter.com...

Stop hyping yourselves up over nothing.

posted on Oct, 16 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Geez my grandfather's golden watch came from the collision of two neutron stars seen from gravitational waves, that saved my day thank you..

Nah now my B..lls itch

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join