It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big changes coming for ATSNN...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
I don't think anyone is going to take the time to organize something like this. I mean it is just ATSNN submissions. What kind of a loser would make this is a competetion?

Oh, you'd be suprised.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Ok i see a new potential problem with the vote situation...

Lets say a story is "under review" and votes come in...
in the scenario that as they do, some cancel out others yes/no wise keeping the vote count about 5....will this story just stay in limbo then?

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Yeay I noticed that too which is why I am scanning back a few pages to see if there isn't any stories I missed. But I since we cannot reply to these stories, no way to bump them so they might get buried. What about funneling all the submissions into a special forum and when it gets upgraded it gets moved automatically to the ATSNN.com Forum.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is something I thought up in the shower this morning...

Earlier in this thread I brought up the question of what will keep people from getting ahold of a bunch of buddies or possibly creating new accounts to vote for thier stories. The only thing that seems to be currently preventing this is the so-called "Honor System." This, in my opinion, is a pretty damn big loophole for anyone to take advatage of. I think I may have come up with a solution though...

The debate forum uses a panel of anonymous judges to vote for and against each debate, deciding a winner at the end of each. Well this would be something slightly similar. It would require a bit of logistical support from the staff of ATS, mainly the admins and supermods, but once set up I feel it would be quite successful.

A new subforum is created under ATSNN. Submissions are sent there, under an anonymous handle (ie anon-news). In there a monthly selection of ATSNN judges will vote on the article.

Now how will judges be picked? Say we use 50 judges, just in case not enough are on ATS at any given time. A u2u is sent out to 75+ people asking them to be judges, the first 50 to respond are the ones who get the position. The 75+ are people who are frequently on ATS, so they will be ready to do judgings of articles at most anytime. The only catch to this is that to keep it fair, I think that those doing the judgings cannot submit articles for thier tenure as a judge. The judging position would also only last for a month, and to keep things diverse (so it isn't always the same judges every month) no one can be a judge for more than two consecutive months.

The voting system would be kept the same, as well as the ATSNN poins system, as SO described it. The only change would be to make the judging system more exclusive.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The SN of the submission's author shows up on the www.abovetopsecret.com... page as the last poster to ATSNN if it was the last post, even if it has not been upgraded.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The SN of the submission's author shows up on the www.abovetopsecret.com... page as the last poster to ATSNN if it was the last post, even if it has not been upgraded.

Perhaps the submission page needs to automatically submit under the anon-news user handle. A new info slot could be added to the page that only mods and higher ups can see that contains the author's actual user name. Once a desicion has been made to upgrade or disregard the thread, someone could change the author from anon-news to the actual author and add points accordingly. I don't know how hard that would be to set up though.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
A new subforum is created under ATSNN. Submissions are sent there, under an anonymous handle (ie anon-news). In there a monthly selection of ATSNN judges will vote on the article.

That is a great system cmdr. But it undermines the entire reason behind the new system.

As SO put it

It's simple, this better reflects the unique makeup of our community. The ATS discussion board communities are unlike any other of our size or topic. There is no singular personality at the center of our community who attempts to steer discussion and dole out punishment. Our direction is determined by the collaborative contributions of every member. This new remix of ATSNN now better reflects ATS, and will truly be, the voice of ATS.

So by your way, we would have 50 people judging the posts, but in current way we would have more than 50 judging the posts.

Maybe if people began to cheat the system, we would move onto your way.

Surf

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
So by your way, we would have 50 people judging the posts, but in current way we would have more than 50 judging the posts.

Maybe if people began to cheat the system, we would move onto your way.

The numbers I used were completely made up, just the first set that came off the top of my head. More would probably be better, in fact.

I'm really expecting people to abuse the system though, especially since it would be pretty much impossible to detect. Unless there is a system to take note of who consistently votes for whose submissions? I donno really.

And to get more diversity of judges in my system, instead of doing it the u2u way i previously suggested, how about having a rolling application form. The form could ask for things like sex, age, and political view just to keep it simply.

Say up the umber of judges from 50 to 200. Have a quota for each age area, sex, and political view for each month similar to this:

100 men/women

50 age 16-20
50 age 21-30
50 age 31-40
50 age 41-up

50 liberals
50 moderates
50 conservatives
50 independants

That's all just speculative, and the easiest and quickest requirements I could come up with. But with the diversity that we do already have on ATS such a diverse panel of judges could easily be accomplished.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
why is it not possible (for other users than the author who can use the edit-function) to add new and important developments to a story as long as it is within the submission modus for 10 votings?

Rebekka

[edit on 14-2-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
And to get more diversity of judges in my system, instead of doing it the u2u way i previously suggested, how about having a rolling application form. The form could ask for things like sex, age, and political view just to keep it simply.

Say up the umber of judges from 50 to 200. Have a quota for each age area, sex, and political view for each month similar to this:

100 men/women

50 age 16-20
50 age 21-30
50 age 31-40
50 age 41-up

50 liberals
50 moderates
50 conservatives
50 independants

Some great ideas CKK
Maybe a week would be a more reasonable time frame for "judging rights". (And I must say that's quite an addiction you have if ATS is running around your head in the shower
) However it's getting more and more complex as you go on. It's starting to sound like an organizational and coding nightmare.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I have to say, I was a little worried when I saw the link for "Big Change" and I was extremely curious to what this big change would consist of. I'm glad I read it, else I would have been panicking like some kind of long term crisis was coming. I feel incredibly relieved.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I think a "Search" feature should be added so you could search for news stories on certain topics.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
gm0n3y...
Try this:
ATS Google Search

Type into the google space and punch.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Question:

Do we get points deducted for sending an aleart to the mods?

Because I just sent an alert and got 10 points deducted.

Surf

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Well, that ain't right ... what's going on?

Good plan though ... this definitely will make more members feel more like contributing in some fashion.

"Hooks and lures, hooks and lures ... so many of each, and yet, no poles or reels."

Now we do.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Leave it up to Poon to screw up this new, nice, EASY format!! My question echoes PistolPete's: will editing your news submission screw it up in anyway? I tried to delete the "(Submission)" from the title and it appeared that the post became 'ineligible' for ATSNN. For future reference, when I submit a news submission, what sort of editing can I do to it and still have it upgraded? I should just get it right and leave it alone! silly Poon!!

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

4) Credit: When an author's article is published to ATSNN, they received 250 ATS points, and 1 ATSNN point.

Do people who make posts that get bumped up to ATSNN news still get credited 250 points?
I recently had a story voted up to ATSNN. Before I posted my story I had 12126 ATS points. Since then I have made posts and gotten replies accumulating more ATS points.
I checked my points after the story was bumped up, at that time I had 12177 ATS points. There was no credit of 250 points for the ATSNN publication.
It has been a while since I've submitted a story. Is there a bug or do ATSNN authors no longer get the bonus points?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I really like this model idea. It's tad bit like a couple of other sites I read every day, and I think it will be really great to get more people involved with ATSNN. Personally, I've been a tad shy about submitting to ATSNN while a newbie, and by the time this gets set up, I'll be ready to get more involved.

Kudos to the entire staff of ATS in keeping the ball rolling. Anyone want beer? J/K.

-VW

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

4) Credit: When an author's article is published to ATSNN, they received 250 ATS points, and 1 ATSNN point.

Do people who make posts that get bumped up to ATSNN news still get credited 250 points?
I recently had a story voted up to ATSNN. Before I posted my story I had 12126 ATS points. Since then I have made posts and gotten replies accumulating more ATS points.
I checked my points after the story was bumped up, at that time I had 12177 ATS points. There was no credit of 250 points for the ATSNN publication.
It has been a while since I've submitted a story. Is there a bug or do ATSNN authors no longer get the bonus points?

Again today I had a post published on ATSNN. There was no 250 ATS point credit. Before and after publication I had 14007 ATS points. Has anyone else noticed this? Did I miss a post telling members that we no longer get the 250 ATS points?

Thanks.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join