It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big changes coming for ATSNN...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Voting system again?

I thought we abandoned this system because people began to screw up with the votings, I am talking about voting system for the ATS system.

Surf

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
hmmm...to be really honest, i dont like the sound of this. The voting system can be abused and is open to it aswell. But who knows, this might work to be successful....

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The new system should be ready to launch tomorrow. One minor addition... all members will have a "HOT" button that can be used to alert admin and supermods to a particularly timely submission. This way we can better react to a submission that deserves an immediate upgrade.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
^
Good idea. I look forward to the new system.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is really a great idea, especially for members who only submit quality stories occasionally. This system allows anyone willing to put work into making quality reports to have the opportunity get their work on ATSNN.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Is ATSNN currently out of commission until the changes are instituted? I don't mean to press busy people for attention but I've had a couple of submissions sitting around collecting dust for a bit longer than I've ever seen before (if only because editors are usually so incredibly fast- so there is no shame to them intended here.)

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The more I read the more I learn!

No this will be a decent place to discuss about good news and learn. Hope trolls will be kept out.

Cant wait

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I think this is a very positive and progressive change. Maybe now I will be brave enough to get involved and submit a story or two in the future.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I think it is a great addition or change -- thanks

One thing to remember -- if for any reason it doesn't work or it gets out of hand -- it can always be changed back -- with lots of work from our wonderful leaders - but they are always on top of things so I'm not too worried about the problems that will pop up as with any new thing while people are getting used to the new system.

jm

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The new ATSNN process is just minutes away.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
COOL!

I just got 5 points for voting on a test submission!

(I won't complain if you take them back)

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It said don't vote
i replied :p

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Damn, can't vote for my own...

Anyway, I really like the system. its a great idea and is running smoothly.

except i think you can bypas the anonymous thing. the list of the news articles in the forum (number 1) still has the authors next to them, even for submission. vagabond has quite a few...

[edit on 2/12/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Is there a way to see how many ATSNN points you have?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think this is an interesting approach, and it will definitely enhance the feeling of community at ATS. However I see a couple of issues:

• It appears that there are a few "loopholes" regarding the anonymity of the news submitter, as pointed out by some posters above. As long as it is possible to ascertain the identity of the submitter, there will always be room for abuse, such as popular members having their stories submitted despite low submission quality or relevance, or unpopular members having their submissions rejected based purely on their reputation, deserved or not.

• Giving the moderators the final power of veto on upgrading of submissions negates the meaningfulness and original intent of having a voting system. It basically means that you can vote however you want, but your vote only counts if it agrees with the view of the moderator(s). "Ford Model-T voting", if you will.

If the majority of voters vote for an upgrade and the moderator agrees, everybody is happy. If the majority of voters vote for a "downgrade", yet the moderator upgrades the story regardless, or vice-versa, the voters will feel that their vote doesn't really matter - and rightly so.

Personally I feel that news is news and should not be altered by majority opinion in any way, shape, or form. Voting for news upgrades should be in line with the direction and mission statement of the site, and left in the hands of those that are qualified to do so; those qualified persons being the site moderators and ATSNN Editors/Reporters.

If the news-worthiness of reports we see on television, in newspapers, and from other Internet news sources were to be decided by majority vote, you wouldn't see much in the news that didn't fit with the incumbent party line. That's bordering on censorship. It would be a shame if ATSNN became a "la la la, we can't hear you, we don't want to know about that", fingers-in-the-ears type of news site.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Just my thoughts.

Good on you for taking the time to analyze some potential impacts and expressing them, in a constructive way.

A community and a responsive, reputable organization thrives on that.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I don't think that the "HOT" button will do any good. I feel that the mods and admin will just get swamped with messages saying to update the myriads of ATSNN articles.

Also, what's to stop someone from getting ahold of some friends on ATS and asking someone to vote for or use the "HOT" button on their story? Just the honor system?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
What happens when a story is great but has grammar or spelling errors, or put into the wrong category or has the infamous "curly quotes"? Is there going to be something in the future to let the author know that the story is good but has a couple easily changed errors? It would suck to have to kill a good story just because of the quotes.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I would think either the editors would fix it, or send a message to the author saying what the errors are and what can be done for him/her to fix it on thier own. Probably the latter.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
Also, what's to stop someone from getting ahold of some friends on ATS and asking someone to vote for or use the "HOT" button on their story? Just the honor system?

Good plan. I think I can get at least six or seven people to work for me, can you get four more?

Just kidding.

I don't think anyone is going to take the time to organize something like this. I mean it is just ATSNN submissions. What kind of a loser would make this is a competetion?

Surf

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join