It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lessons to be learned from the NFL issue...so far.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
Get Politics out of Football, support Military sponsored week

Support American "Freedom and muh constitution" Get upset when people do a form of "Peaceful Protest"

Not care about the people at Home that remain seated, or the crowd at the stadium in line for refreshments, or in the Restroom

Patriot Logic

Insult potential allies in an issue? If it is liked, supported, traditional or the norm, change it, degrade it?

Liberal logic.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

The anthem is part of every day of your waking life?

Do you live on a military base or something?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Guess what?

I was an athlete with some of them too.

If they want to protest things in the inner city, then they need to protest in such way that it's clear, not protest the entire country by disrespecting the flag. That's like saying, "I have a problem with this aspect of the US, so I want to protest everything about it."

Do they hate everything about the country? You know, the one that let's them make millions off their talents for a sport that no other country in the world plays?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
The NFL would much rather have this topic of political protest, rather than the topic of CTE and brain damage. CTE could end American football or completely change it. Kneeing will not change much.

Before this whole debate came up, people were talking about not letting kids play any football. A very dangerous conversation for the NFL.

Now that the NFL is perceived to be full of people with racial grievances who hate the country and people who are getting brain damage, how many people are going to want their kids taking part in that?

People who were already starting to feel a bit bad about how much football players got hurt now know the players don't like them or their country. How quickly will they want to start watching again?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: eNumbra

[...]
Now that politics has almost irrevocably entered Professional football, [...]

Politics entered football when the DoD began paying the NFL to put the players on the field for the national anthem.

We could go back to the days prior to that and while I’m sure a handful of the narrow-scope nationalists who insist on the anthem being a part of every waking moment of everyday life would be upset, I guarantee the majority of America wouldn’t care and you’d simultaneously solve the problem of everybody getting upset at the method of protest.

Damn right! How dare the DoD spend money on acknowledging their heroes instead of more weapons....

So you’re going to ignore the fact that politics have been a part of football for years now - particularly in response to the negative reaction to the war in iraq at the time of the change?

That your outrage is based on something that wasn’t originally a tradition and was in fact pulled into being by your own side in this battle?

What are you talking about? War in Iraq and Football? At best, there was little politics in football prior to this. Obviously, you're not a football fan.

Yeah, you don’t care about politics in football, you care about politics you disagree with and or make you uncomfortable in football.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: eNumbra

The anthem is part of every day of your waking life?
?

Is that what I said?
That’s not what I said.

Learn to read then you can try replying to me again.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
double posted.
edit on 10/8/2017 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Having a fairly mundane existence, many would identify with great teams, great players

You have hit the root there, sports, movies, even the military is used by many as an escape because there lives suck. If they spend all that time, energy and money on trying to improve their lives and our country instead, things might be a lot better.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
My friends and I no longer meet up at the pub for beer and wings to watch the games. People were arguing over politics around us over the kneeling thing and some got pretty hot and loud over it.

The only arguing and yelling during the game should be over the game, but no there was politics. Kind of ruins the experience.

Exactly.

This is the problem. And I'll bet no one is even arguing over police brutality which is supposedly what they are protesting but only over whether they are disrespecting the flag which is why this is a failed protest and only hurting the NFL.

No action will get done because the national conversation is not on what they think or say they are protesting. If you want a protest to work, it has to be targeted.

BLM has the same problem. Instead of directly targeted law enforcement - police stations, court houses, etc. - they simply inconvenience people going about their business by blocking random highways or storming malls and yelling angry things.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

I think it's a combination of the two.

Stereotypes, like or not, exist based on a grain of truth. We all know this.

The black inner city lifestyle is not one that is conducive to raising law abiding citizens. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it does mean that the statistics on crime we see coming out of the inner city are not anomalies. Children growing up in poor conditions without male role models because they don't have fathers born to mothers who are too young, poorly educated, and often with siblings who have different fathers than themselves, are growing up in conditions of instability.

You can look up the statistics. The odds are massively stacked against those kids, and it doesn't matter what color you are talking about. Those conditions are as bad for white kids as they are for black ones. It just turns out that the black community has so eroded that a majority of our black children are being asked to try to survive those conditions.

Those things lead to gangs and crime.

That leads to police interaction. Police interactions lead to possible shooting and death. And when the police know that they are more commonly going to run into black kids/adults who are trouble than whites and not exactly by anyone's fault, the stereotype gets started so does the profiling. Is it fair? No.

So how to change it? It goes much, much deeper than just changing the police. We have to change things in society. There are trends that have to be stopped because they exist for all groups. Marriage and family stability is way down in white families lately too. So don't worry. Pretty soon the number of whites that are trouble will be going up.

We have to stop that. We have to put the black community back together too so it can begin to heal. Then, maybe we can start to relegate the stereotypes to annals of history and start really working against them, but we can't do it unless everyone agrees there are real problems that have to be worked on.

And no, just throwing money at it won't fix it.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

[...]

Politics entered football when the DoD began paying the NFL to put the players on the field for the national anthem.

We could go back to the days prior to that and while I’m sure a handful of the narrow-scope nationalists who insist on the anthem being a part of every waking moment of everyday life would be upset, I guarantee the majority of America wouldn’t care and you’d simultaneously solve the problem of everybody getting upset at the method of protest.

Damn right! How dare the DoD spend money on acknowledging their heroes instead of more weapons....

So you’re going to ignore the fact that politics have been a part of football for years now - particularly in response to the negative reaction to the war in iraq at the time of the change?

That your outrage is based on something that wasn’t originally a tradition and was in fact pulled into being by your own side in this battle?

What are you talking about? War in Iraq and Football? At best, there was little politics in football prior to this. Obviously, you're not a football fan.

Yeah, you don’t care about politics in football, you care about politics you disagree with and or make you uncomfortable in football.

So what?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I just honestly don't understand how some people get their panties in such a wad and so badly over this stupid manufactured outrage that they feel the need to make such a big deal about it, including stop watching the games they enjoy and burning tickets, because they are so pissed off and outraged, and let it affect them so badly. Grow up.

Oh, I get their stated "reasons" for the outrage, but that they actually let it affect them so badly says more about them, and the state of the country, than anything else.

Mission accomplished (MSM/Trump/Etc).
edit on 8-10-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

[...]

So what?

You're a hypocrite.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

[...]

So what?

You're a hypocrite.

So what?

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
I just honestly don't understand how some people get their panties in such a wad and so badly over this stupid manufactured outrage that they feel the need to make such a big deal about it, including stop watching the games they enjoy and burning tickets, because they are so pissed off and outraged, and let it affect them so badly. Grow up.

Oh, I get their stated "reasons" for the outrage, but that they actually let it affect them so badly says more about them, and the state of the country, than anything else.

Mission accomplished (MSM/Trump/Etc).

Effect them so 'badly'? That gives me a chuckle. I see it as behaving well. Enough bending backwards for protests on real or imagined issues that WE have nothing to do with. Yes, it speaks for the state of the country that propitiates on a knee-jerk, automatic basis on each and every 'protest'.

Personally, I'm proud of the responses taken to date.

edit on 8-10-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Effect them so 'badly'?

*Affect

I see it as behaving well.

You mean as the state sees fit?

Enough bending backwards for protests

It's kinda a Constitutional Right.

Personally, I'm proud of the responses taken to date.

Thanks for proving my point.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

[...]

So what?

You're a hypocrite.

So what?

You seem to be misunderstanding.

You don’t need to care; but everyone else should, and everyone else needs to know that you’re a shameless hypocrite.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Blacks make up 13% of the population yet account for 52% of all murders.

Perhaps someone should protest that. Would the NFL be onboard?
edit on 8-10-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

[...]

So what?

You're a hypocrite.

So what?

You don’t need to care; but everyone else should, and everyone else needs to know that you’re a shameless hypocrite.

Sorry, but the recent events in response to the protests during national anthems are evidence that your views of this are in the minority.

YOU misunderstand. My 'so what' is directed to you commenting about me on anything. Your views of me, either way are of no import to me whatsoever.. Hence, 'so what'?

In my life experience, I find that those who accuse you, label you, are more often than not, guilty of what they, themselves, accuse others of.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

[...]

So what?

You're a hypocrite.

So what?

Sorry, but the recent events in response to the protests during national anthems are evidence that your views of this are in the minority.

YOU misunderstand. My 'so what' is directed to you commenting about me on anything. Your views of me, either way are of no import to me whatsoever.. Hence, 'so what'?

In my life experience, I find that those who accuse you, label you, are more often than not, guilty of what they, themselves, accuse others of.

Lol, the “I’m rubber you’re glue” defense may be a third grade classic, but just because a bunch of brainwashed nationalists have swarmed ATS doesn’t make you right. Your echo chamber reeks of halitosis.

Besides, nothing I’ve stated in this thread are views, but facts.
edit on 10/8/2017 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join