It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitting ESPN Where It Hurts Most

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13
a reply to: Metallicus

I said this all last season when Colin decided to be an ass hat and make Sunday all about politics. He has every right to his opinion as well as to protest but do it in a manner that doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of a sport. He is paid to throw a ball. That's it. Nothing more. I could care less about his political views along with any other athlete or celebrity.

Right!

Politics do not belong on the job....and players jobs are to play.
First amendment rights don't even belong here....I know when I worked, we could not even wear political buttons to work.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Whether or not you support Jamele Hill's disrespectful remarks about the President I ask you to simply turn it around to be about Obama and you tell me if she would have survived her tirade.

Obama didn't divide the nation with ignorant and racist comments, so that's an irrelevant comparison.

Otherwise I can give a sh!t about what you do with your little boycott. You don't want to watch ESPN, then don't watch it. You don't watch NFL, then don't watch. And I'll do what I want to do also.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: the owlbear

THat's not entirely true.

Since the sportscasters think this is a grand and wonderful thing (people of left leaning politics generally do and the sportscasters are for the most part), the coverage will often include who is kneeling during the anthem both on camera during the anthem and then the sportscasters keep talking about it afterward.

All you have to do is listen and pay attention and you can't help but know about it because the politics permeate the sportscast. Doesn't take Twitter to know about it. If it did, I wouldn't know because I don't have a Twitter account.

You're so right.
The sports broadcasters are even more focused on the fringe since it keeps people tuned into their pregame shows and helps to sell ads.

Divide and conquer selling pickup trucks and light beer and and at least three or four pharmaceuticals (two of which are erectile dysfunction) while people either boo or cheer, but everyone tunes in just so they can go on social media and bitch.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I think free expression is a right. Burn them crosses if you want ....

Not my circus, not my monkey....

So you think it is okay for John Kitna to wear his Jesus hat?

Because the NFL told him he couldn't.

We needed your voice then...where were you standing up for free expression then?

*crickets*

That's what I thought.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
NFL is already making less over the years before the right-wing went pants on head crazy about peaceful protests. Which is why the NFL is has been pushing the premium TV model for years (NFL network/redzone/ect) and raising ticket prices and massive parking costs and concession prices.

The price per amount entertainment for American Football is outrageous to see in person in most teams cities and the commercial to game time is way to out of wack to make viewing on TV any interesting. Add that with the younger crowd not caring as much NFL while still domanat could slip very quickly.

Which bring me to ESPN. ESPN is losing because of all the cable cutting. People today are more likely not to get premium channel packages. Your protest proposal doesnt hurt them unless you give up the premium cable which now a days is less likely that you have anyways. ALSO

They are unwatchable anymore because they are constantly trying to interject their liberal / leftist politics into everything. Whether or not you support Jamele Hill's disrespectful remarks about the President I ask you to simply turn it around to be about Obama and you tell me if she would have survived her tirade.

You are getting mad that people have opinions when not on the job when they dont align with your views.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I said this all last season when Colin decided to be an ass hat and make Sunday all about politics. He has every right to his opinion as well as to protest but do it in a manner that doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of a sport. He is paid to throw a ball. That's it. Nothing more. I could care less about his political views along with any other athlete or celebrity.

Right!

First amendment rights don't even belong here....I know when I worked, we could not even wear political buttons to work.

That 100% is between the person and their boss and has nothing to do with you or your boss.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
It is literally comical to see the ATS Leftists preach about peaceful protests and free speech when they are nowhere to be found defending free speech at UC Berkeley.

Also, I am not challenging the right of people to disrespect America, but simply saying I won't help them make money while they do it...my peaceful protest.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I own 4 Roku devices (about $40/ea). On each of them I have HBO Now (for their series like GOT and The Wire), Netflix, and Slide. Slide allows me to "a la carte" my channel selections.

For the whole thing, 200gb internet included, i spend about $90/mo. WHich is 1/3 of what it was when i got my entertainment solely from the cable company.

Ill carry ESPN until MNF is over (i don't care about the politics of sports people or celebrities, and I don't stand for the national anthem when its played before the game either...and really don't want to even acknowledge the petty histrionics of half educated meatheads), then remove it from my service (along with the Redzone package, and FS1) once the Superbowl is done.

I subscribe and cancel subscriptions as I feel appropriate, based on when content I want to see is going to be available.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I appreciate the suggestions. I will have a look.

My wife would kill me if she couldn't watch Game of Thrones so I will need to keep HBO until the series is over.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Right!

That was your employers decision to not allow you to wear buttons at work.
When you worked.
A player's job is to sell merchandise and the brand. It doesn't even matter if they're hall of fame material...the $$$ and the $$$ from sponsored advertising are all that matters. Hell, the Super Bowl every year is at least 50% sold out before the season starts due to deals with advertisers and sponsors. The number is probably higher than that now, but that's what my girl in the world of credit cards and banking and online ads told me years ago...

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: olaru12
I think free expression is a right. Burn them crosses if you want ....

Not my circus, not my monkey....

So you think it is okay for John Kitna to wear his Jesus hat?

Because the NFL told him he couldn't.

We needed your voice then...where were you standing up for free expression then?

*crickets*

That's what I thought.

Where were you to bitch about it then?

Crickets...

Looked it up. That was 2003/4ish.

And it was his choice to wear the hat(s), BUT due to Advertising deals, players and coaches must ONLY wear certain clothing, shoes, etc, when at team or NFL functions or face penalties or fines for NOT advertising for sponsors.

The NFL has no policy about standing for the national anthem. Can't profit from it.
This is the crisis of the week to divide the nation and sell more click bait "news" articles and act as free publicity for the NFL.

Still protesting those evil transgendered restrooms in public everyday?
Oh yeah, that was last year...even though places have them now and the fervor has died died down, damned if that topic didn't hit a few hundred pages here, and now....

Oh, and South Park has been covering the whole take a knee thing for the last two seasons...why did it take Trumptweets to make people suddenly go all Boycott the NFL!!!?

edit on 24-9-2017 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Right!

Thats Old School then. I work for a fortune 100 company with 40k + employees and in the office we can bedazzle our cubes with political everything if we want. Freedom of speech. At my workplace we also have employee organizations, we have ones for future women leaders, minorities, LGBT's, Millennials, etc. We also get corporate emails about legislation that can effect our work that encourages us to speak to our politicians.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Where were you to bitch about it then?

You missed the entire point...I never supported Kitna.

I supported the NFL keeping politics and religion out of their sport and still do...that is the entire point of the thread.

I was pointing out the incosistancies of another poster.

It had zero to do with you.

edit on 2017/9/24 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

Right!

Thats Old School then. I work for a fortune 100 company with 40k + employees and in the office we can bedazzle our cubes with political everything if we want. Freedom of speech. At my workplace we also have employee organizations, we have ones for future women leaders, minorities, LGBT's, Millennials, etc. We also get corporate emails about legislation that can effect our work that encourages us to speak to our politicians.

So, if someone in your company wore a MAGA hat to work, he wouldn't cop any flak at all?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
The thing about boycotting is that it never works out for conservatives. I mean how many times have they called for a boycott of products, companies and people and has never made a dent in any of them. I mean these companies and people don't jump when conservatives boycott like they do when Liberals boycott. I mean they don't issue a public apology, a recall or anything when conservatives boycott.

But you guys have fun.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Very true,do what you want,but don't make me watch it,many have done this from prior instances,and the libweral media crying because NFL revenue is down,what kind of fools run these buisnesses,like Starbucks,they think they are too big and control you,but you control the on off switch to your TV

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

No ... No ... I don't think people are mad that folks have their opinions when not on the job.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the football player is in uniform at the stadium and ready to play a game, he is on the job.

When the sportscaster is there to announce, he or she is on the job.

And like it or not with certain jobs where you are in the public eye and have a public presence, there is very little that isn't on the job especially where your social media presence is concerned. Otherwise, I would expect that Kurt Schilling would not have been fired for his Tweets because they were off the job, just like the lady who went all racial tirede.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Aside from boycotting the games and TV, you could boycott and write letters to their advertisers. Just a thought. I just ignore their games. Started to years ago. All that money to the players instead of things we really need in this country is sad. Opium of the masses is now a tool of division as well. Smh

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
You know what's really frustrating?

Sports used to be the great equalizer.

Regardless of your politics, everyone could sit together and watch football. Didn't matter what your politics was.

But we don't even have that any more.

I think that is why people are pissed.

A few idiots took away our "safe space". Our "safe zone" where we could all sit together and enjoy something.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Rich or poor.

Black or white.

Right or left.

It didn't matter if you were watching football.

Because there was no politics in football. Football was all about the game. There was common ground in football.

And they took that away from us.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join