It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitting ESPN Where It Hurts Most

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I played football in high school. I started every game as left guard on offence, right defensive end and was on every specialty team. When I walked on the field at the start of the game, I didn't leave the field until the final whistle was blown. As soon as the season was over I turned and walked away from sports forever and never looked back. F??? the NFL.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Burned my team hat in the grill yesterday.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: Metallicus

I agree.
From a NFL fan of decades uncounted
Not one game this year and the outlook looks bleak for next year.
BTW - seen any pictures of 49ers home games and their half-filled stadium?

I have been a Steelers fan all of my life and will continue to watch. However, I do understand the frustration of those who are just sick of the political grandstanding. Yes, it is grandstanding imo....."Hey look at me and how progressive I am"

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I quit watching years ago.
Its one big Advertisement with steroided out freakshows hitting each other in between ads and sponsorship mentions by the broadcasters.

Don't even miss it. Frees up my Sundays to spend time with the family rather than watching adults play a game.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
I quit watching years ago.
Its one big Advertisement with steroided out freakshows hitting each other in between ads and sponsorship mentions by the broadcasters.

Don't even miss it. Frees up my Sundays to spend time with the family rather than watching adults play a game.

I'm looking forward to the extra time to do other things.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Right on.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Cutting cable and going internet only is very refreshing, I highly recommend it. You can watch basically anything on internet and more than you ever could on just cable

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: nwtrucker

I am looking for ideas for affecting change and not political discussion.

Are you asking how to affect...programming and content of shows?

I can only vote with my dollars as my opinions are being ignored.

There's your answer, seriously. Create you own network. Influence opinion over the media waves..

Or tear it all down and build your own...

That said, I don't watch much sports and could care less what they do. They do not offend me, but they have the right to...kneel.

I seriously doubt they have a 'right' to knee. They DO have the option to do so. Assuming they're willing to experience the pushback.

Do you understand the concept of a "right?"

Considering most people here argued that someone like the engineer who got let go recently for airing his opinion at one of the tech companies did not have a right to do so and not expect to be fired, then I wonder if you understand it.

Look.

No one can stop them from taking a knee, but as employees, no one also stops their employers from finding that to be detrimental to the brand and firing them.

Right now, I rather imagine that the employers are weighing the quality of the product against the damage to the brand much like they did when they looked at hiring Michael Vick and picked him up anyhow. If they're playing, it's because the employers think the quality of the product is still outweighing damage to the brand.

Considering how fast ratings have been eroding, that may change at some point in the future.

The question before people is if they are disgusted enough with on field politics to accept slightly less good football.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So true. Take my job for example. I could give the patient the prescription then go off on a rant about how the democrats are a bunch of commies, it is my right to free speech.

But the owner of the store has every right to can my ass for it. And further more, the customers not wanting to listen to my rants could just vote with their feet and go to Rite Aid down the steet.

ETA: I do not do this.

edit on pm99201717America/Chicago23p08pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I really like what you wrote, but I don't think you'll like what I'm going to write.

Watch hockey. Stream it online. Many problems solved

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I said this all last season when Colin decided to be an ass hat and make Sunday all about politics. He has every right to his opinion as well as to protest but do it in a manner that doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of a sport. He is paid to throw a ball. That's it. Nothing more. I could care less about his political views along with any other athlete or celebrity.

The game is supposed to be about X's and O's and strategies to play and win. Now every time a game is on I have to be reminded by small minded people who think their status gives them some right to turn my down time into yet another ass hat political drama discussion.

I, too, have quit watching the NFL. So sick of all the athletes who think expressing their political views during game day. The majority of them couldn't coherently explain to you exactly why they are doing it either.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Go PENS

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

originally posted by: Gothmog

I agree.
From a NFL fan of decades uncounted
Not one game this year and the outlook looks bleak for next year.
BTW - seen any pictures of 49ers home games and their half-filled stadium?

I have been a Steelers fan all of my life and will continue to watch. However, I do understand the frustration of those who are just sick of the political grandstanding. Yes, it is grandstanding imo....."Hey look at me and how progressive I am"

Another Steeler's fan ? I am a lifelong Georgian. Folks here dont understand me...

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I am looking for ideas for affecting change and not political discussion.

Are you asking how to affect...programming and content of shows?

I can only vote with my dollars as my opinions are being ignored.

There's your answer, seriously. Create you own network. Influence opinion over the media waves..

Or tear it all down and build your own...

That said, I don't watch much sports and could care less what they do. They do not offend me, but they have the right to...kneel.

I seriously doubt they have a 'right' to knee. They DO have the option to do so. Assuming they're willing to experience the pushback.

Do you understand the concept of a "right?"

I believe so. Do you?

Pretty sure I do. Hence my previous comment.

I would say, that option is more applicable in the case of kneeling as a professional football player. It flirts with semantics. If the players have the 'right' then the owners, the fans and etc. also have the 'right' to disagree.

I'd say 'right' is overused. Largely for the purpose of inventing new 'rights' or merely pushing the envelope, so to speak. I would use as an example, calling my boss a bad name to his face. I have the 'option', again assuming I'm willing to bear the consequences of the act, yet it would be a stretch to call it a 'right'. Yes?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Go PENS

Never.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I think free expression is a right. Burn them crosses if you want ....

Not my circus, not my monkey....

edit on 23-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I always looked forward to fall and the NFL season. I started boycotting last year mostly over the number of commercials I had to endure. Turns out it was a stellar season for my team, the Atlanta Falcons. I'm still boycotting for the same reason. Add the protests by players and I'm content watching SEC college football. War Eagle!
edit on 9-23-2017 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I think free expression is a right. Burn them crosses if you want ....

I believe so as well.
I think that all of these Whooo Trump!!!! Folk on here will be sadly disappointed when the NFL continues and games simply start after the national anthem is played and they won't know who took a knee until Twitter folk let them know.

No players are losing their jobs. If any player was released or suspended for taking a knee, 75-85% of the league would stand in solidarity with the players.

As someone said, do you stand up at home? Hand over heart, no hat?
If not,

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
What about hockey and a DVR....no commercials!

IMHO, the NFL games are really over-rated, culminating with the obscene Super Bowl ....SMH.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

THat's not entirely true.

Since the sportscasters think this is a grand and wonderful thing (people of left leaning politics generally do and the sportscasters are for the most part), the coverage will often include who is kneeling during the anthem both on camera during the anthem and then the sportscasters keep talking about it afterward.

All you have to do is listen and pay attention and you can't help but know about it because the politics permeate the sportscast. Doesn't take Twitter to know about it. If it did, I wouldn't know because I don't have a Twitter account.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join