It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take University's ‘white privilege’ quiz- Students Will Get Extra Credit

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

a reply to: intrepid

I like a few tunes from them. I wasn't aware they represented Canuckistan.

And this is the fallacy of the questions found on the quiz. It's too subjective and open to change. See how the 3 of us each had a different idea about what music represented Canada?

It's just half-assed turds pulled out of nowhere meant to fuel the imaginary race war

edit on 19-9-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I just went to Wendy's for lunch, and remembered this thread.

So of course I whipped out my white privilege card and slammed it into the dirty mexican cashiers face.

Bam!!, got myself a free warm glass of water.

White privilege, never leave home without it.

An you just gave a perfect example of white privilege. If you were a black person, and demanded a bunch of free stuff at Wendys, how would you be treated? What would the reaction of people looking at it be?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

Asked about the offer, Professor Elliott told The College Fix via email that it’s a legitimate way to help students see things from multiple perspectives.

I tried to type something logical, but kept erasing it out of anger. This is not education. It's an indoctrination into victimhood, shared and perpetuated by those doing the shaming. Disgusting people...

This is about studying. Learning low to collect data, write and distribute survey's, and how to transfer the gained information into statistics, percentages and demographics. so yes it is indeed about education. Higher education. I've taken them, written them, and analyzed them for research papers. Professors do it to obtain information for articles they might be writing for scholarly publications in their profession.

So cool your jets.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Abysha
The US was founded by white people, it would stand to reason that US history would be filled with white mostly men til the mid 20th century with all the for real racism that was in place. Just as I would imagine Chinese history classes are filled with Chinese people, mostly men.

Founded by white people? I suppose if you only told one side of the story, that's true.

My history books in high school was almost entirely from the white male perspective with a few token exceptions (like MLK, Pocahontas, etc). Very little mention of Victoria Woodhull, Nat Turner, or even Frederick Douglass. In fact, I just recently learned he married a white woman! Wonder why that was excluded?

Your comparison to Chinese history does not work because they are a homogeneous nation. We are not.

But aside from that, you are choosing a side-detail of my post to respond to and not the content.
It's like:
You: "I was raised on an orange farm. Oranges are not apples."
Me: "Correct but they are similar. Both fruit, both round, both eaten, and both used to make juice"
You: "I don't remember ever drinking apple juice at the farm, though"

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

That list is ridiculous.
Most of those things he is calling a white privilege is just a product of living in a country where whites are the majority.
Specifically numbers, 1,3,6,8,14,16,17,19, and 20.

The only true white privilege statements I see are numbers 2,7,10,11,13,15, and 18.

The rest can be explained like number 4 and 5 . Maybe those two were true in the past but not since the advent of the internet.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

That list is ridiculous.
Most of those things he is calling a white privilege is just a product of living in a country where whites are the majority.

No #! That's what it means!

It's not like anybody is claiming "white privilege" exists in North Korea.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Nice interpretation.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: angeldoll
Looks like a survey which are quite common around university campuses, and since it involves a social issue, of course it is in a sociology class. Graduate students do them all the time; they have to to gather information for research papers.

Doesn't say what the 'extra credit" is, but this is also not uncommon. Nobody wants to take the time to do a survey, so they will add a point or two to your final totals for your grades. This is no big deal.

Otherwise, it's simply trying to get students to "think". Not a thing in the world wrong with this. Nada.

So your premise is that someone's race is a social issue?

Isn't that a wee bit racist?

Grow up. If you don't think racism is a social problem in this country, then I don't know what to tell you. So you will know, we have plenty with other examples being poverty and drug abuse, unless of course you want to deny those too. When and if things change, we will take surveys to gain the statistics to show it.

I wrote my post when I actually thought this thread was about an interesting survey. But I of course should have known better. It's another provision for yapping off about race. Much like your post.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I wrote my post when I actually thought this thread was about an interesting survey. But I of course should have known better. It's another provision for yapping off about race. Much like your post.

Don't beat yourself up about it. I still make the mistake of giving the benefit-of-the-doubt here, too.

I'm slowly learning that if somebody only barks, your words will only sound like more barking to them.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

That list is ridiculous.

The question should be "Does institutional racism exist?"

Of course it does. It doesn't mean Mr. John White next door is to blame.

Next question is how do we dismantle the machine?

edit on 19-9-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Do you want an idea of how stupid this is?

In Nigeria, the ethnic groups, both majority and minority, are classified by tribal affiliation, not by skin color. So that means any so-called privilege based on being an ethnic majority in Nigeria has only to do with one's tribal affiliation and not at all to do with one's skin color.

If you went into Nigeria and started complaining about "black" privilege because most everyone who lives there is black, the natives would look at you funny because minorities who are looked down on by majority groups are black just like the majority groups.

Calling it "white" privilege simply whitewashes the European cultures themselves: Irish, British, German, Italian, etc., which give their own distinct influences to various aspects of American cultures from the Creole bits of NOLA to the more heavily Italian areas in and around Jersey and New York to the more German/Scandinavian flavored Midwest and Upper Midwest.

But, of course, let's continue to claim all of this is just because of someone's skin tone and that's the problem because no one can ever fix that. And that's not racially biased at all.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: Abysha

That list is ridiculous.

The question should be "Does institutional racism exist?"

Of course it does. It doesn't mean Mr. John White next door is to blame.

Next question is how do we dismantle the machine?

No. Those should be two separate questions because they have two different sets of answers and solutions.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Do you want an idea of how stupid this is?

In Nigeria, the ethnic groups, both majority and minority, are classified by tribal affiliation, not by skin color. So that means any so-called privilege based on being an ethnic majority in Nigeria has only to do with one's tribal affiliation and not at all to do with one's skin color.

If you went into Nigeria and started complaining about "black" privilege because most everyone who lives there is black, the natives would look at you funny because minorities who are looked down on by majority groups are black just like the majority groups.

Calling it "white" privilege simply whitewashes the European cultures themselves: Irish, British, German, Italian, etc., which give their own distinct influences to various aspects of American cultures from the Creole bits of NOLA to the more heavily Italian areas in and around Jersey and New York to the more German/Scandinavian flavored Midwest and Upper Midwest.

But, of course, let's continue to claim all of this is just because of someone's skin tone and that's the problem because no one can ever fix that. And that's not racially biased at all.

I agree that the label "white privilege" is flawed, especially since it is geo-specific.

But the last part, I disagree with. In fact, the very notion of that survey's premise being "let's continue to claim all of this is just because of someone's skin tone and that's the problem because no one can ever fix that" indicates there is still some barriers in understanding what it is.

Observing a person's advantages in society is not the same as accusing them of perpetuating it or even being the cause of it.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

After reading your posts I can only conclude that you don't know what Sociology is.

And this tells me you know nothing about the history of Black Americans.

edit on 9/19/2017 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Please write a history book from a different perspective, I am open to it. Omit what you want and add what you want, perhaps your perspective on history is the correct one.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Please write a history book from a different perspective, I am open to it. Omit what you want and add what you want, perhaps your perspective on history is the correct one.

Unbiased history books like that exist. But good luck getting them into our curriculum.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Name one unbiased history book. And who deems these book as unbiased?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Grow up dirt poor and then tell me how privileged you are no matter your skin tone.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Uh-huh.

Keep making assumptions. I know they make you feel better at least.
edit on 19-9-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Name one unbiased history book. And who deems these book as unbiased?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join