It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take University's ‘white privilege’ quiz- Students Will Get Extra Credit

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Abysha

Grow up dirt poor and then tell me how privileged you are no matter your skin tone.

I did grow up dirt poor, for about five years, anyway (the rest was just "normal" poor). Years with an outhouse, no running water, no electricity, and all during my formative years. I flunked out of high school because I couldn't even get there half the time (ungrated five-mile road that took 90 minutes to drive in the winter). I overcame most of that (and other things) and now live a happy life, filled with supportive people and a culture that sees my skin color as the default.

None of that changes any of my answers on that survey.
edit on 19-9-2017 by Abysha because: clarificationalizinalization

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
a reply to: seasonal

The "professor" should really proof read his/her work.

"Racial privilege is only one 'FORMS' of privilege".

Hahaha! He/She should loose a point!

Only if you 'lose' one too, har har!

Sry everybody, my irony gland got triggered.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

a reply to: angeldoll

Uh-huh.

Keep making assumptions. I know they make you feel better at least.

"The World According to Ketsuko" continues.

No, it doesn't make me feel better. It confuses me that a woman as intelligent as you appear to be, continues to deny reality, and shape it to fit your own personal views and biases. And when did you start making up such outrageous scenarios as analogies?
You didn't used to do that.

Something's missing.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Now... I like some BNL but...

How dare you forget RUSH!!!!

I was thinking the same thing:

Oh, and screw Nickleback.

LOL How did I not see that coming!

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: StallionDuck

a reply to: intrepid

I like a few tunes from them. I wasn't aware they represented Canuckistan.

And this is the fallacy of the questions found on the quiz. It's too subjective and open to change. See how the 3 of us each had a different idea about what music represented Canada?

It's just half-assed turds pulled out of nowhere meant to fuel the imaginary race war

If race and country consisted of difference in music alone, the world would be a better place. Music alone could unite what government and power can not.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Really??? This should remedy that

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Do you want an idea of how stupid this is?

In Nigeria, the ethnic groups, both majority and minority, are classified by tribal affiliation, not by skin color. So that means any so-called privilege based on being an ethnic majority in Nigeria has only to do with one's tribal affiliation and not at all to do with one's skin color.

If you went into Nigeria and started complaining about "black" privilege because most everyone who lives there is black, the natives would look at you funny because minorities who are looked down on by majority groups are black just like the majority groups.

Calling it "white" privilege simply whitewashes the European cultures themselves: Irish, British, German, Italian, etc., which give their own distinct influences to various aspects of American cultures from the Creole bits of NOLA to the more heavily Italian areas in and around Jersey and New York to the more German/Scandinavian flavored Midwest and Upper Midwest.

But, of course, let's continue to claim all of this is just because of someone's skin tone and that's the problem because no one can ever fix that. And that's not racially biased at all.

Exactly and well said!

It's about who has the power. Who's in who's family. How you dress compared to others. It's not WHITE privy... It's subdivisions of people. If I walk into specific neighborhoods, the only "white privy" you get is.. dead!

The drug culture doesn't know color. Addiction doesn't know color.

People just want to put a label on something and make it anti white... because the white man.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: tjack

The "professor" should really proof read his/her work.

"Racial privilege is only one 'FORMS' of privilege".

Hahaha! He/She should loose a point!

Only if you 'lose' one too, har har!

Sry everybody, my irony gland got triggered.

Hey!!! You're making fun of my dyslexia!!!
- My white privilege excuses me.

Yeah, umm.. I meant the irony. ...seriously! Honest! White... errr Scouts honor!

But no need to be "sry". lol

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

And this is the fallacy of the questions found on the quiz. It's too subjective and open to change. See how the 3 of us each had a different idea about what music represented Canada?

It's just half-assed turds pulled out of nowhere meant to fuel the imaginary race war

If race and country consisted of difference in music alone, the world would be a better place. Music alone could unite what government and power can not.

I'm not so sure. There'd be wars fought over music too if there was nothing else to fight about. This is just human nature finding an outlet.

edit on 19-9-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I'm not so sure. There'd be wars fought over music too if there was nothing else to fight about. This is just human nature finding an outlet.

Maybe you're right but I would certainly like to see it be the case just to make sure. It would at least make more sense than what we're fighting over now. I mean, considering fighting over music is pretty damn stupid.
edit on 19-9-2017 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Actually, it can.

What about the one about not shopping without being harassed?

If you are dressed in "dirt poor," try going shopping somewhere with asset protection, and they'll follow you around same as they will with anyone else. Some of those things are divided by class. Heck, husband and I will still dress way down when we go somewhere with salespeople and we don't want to be hassled even if it means asset protection will shadow us.

And if you live in a major metro, try finding more country music stations than hip-hop, R&B and other urban themed music stations.

It isn't nearly as easy they want to make it sound.

You can easily get economic status mixed in with so-called racial differences, but, of course, no one is supposed to think about how they might have been disadvantaged according to their unique circumstances in life.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
As an ex-liberal I can honestly tell you that progressivism is a disease worse than cancer. It's crap like this that made most true liberals leave the democratic party.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Well, gee, let's see.....

1. Typically, when I see people gathered together with only people of their race, they aren't white. If white people do that, they are called "racists", but for every other group, it's alright? Plus, since when can these other groups not gather together with people of their race? Seems like the norm to me. This one gets a fail.

2. Sure, same as literally everyone else I see shopping. Then again, I have been followed before, in a mall store, wearing business clothing, and shopping for clothes.

3. These days? Not always. Not on all channels, and not fairly, always, either. Commercials, especially, seem geared to put down people of my race. Is that part of the "privilege"?

4. Again, not these days. According to modern "standards" for "history", everyone BUT whites made everything great, instead of us "evil white people". In my school days, we discussed history of the whole world, all sorts of cultures and races. No one seemed to think that was "racist" then, so why is it now?

5. I don't recall any races being discussed when I was in school, save for some brief mention of the three races in a science class.

6. With all the rap? Not easily. Foods? Plenty of "ethnic" and various area choices in every singe place I shop. As for hair, not even close. Never bother, anyway. Tons of people of different races working in these shops, though, so I don't see who would have a problem.

7. If the card or check looks legit, and the place accepts checks, who looks at skin color? No one, that's who. As for cash, seriously? Unless the bills are fake, no one cares, and ANYONE can be accused of trying to pass a fake bill. Cases I have seen were, as it happens, white people falsely accused.

8. Other than being told I had a "ghetto booty", by some black guys, never heard any such references from anyone. Body odor? Seriously???

9. Again, are they kidding??? No, because being white, these days, is enough to be labeled as racist, no matter what one actually thinks.

10. Yeah, because I can do the job correctly, if I take it, and pass the classes without need for adjustments to be "fair". Anyone that can didn't get it based on race. If they can't, well....

11. I can show up on time to a meeting.

12. Who can't, again? Oh, wait, me!! Anyone white, with the "people of color only" crap going around these days. What decade do these clowns think this is, anyway?

13. Neither is anyone else.

14. Nope. People in charge in various places come in all colors.

15. Tax returns don't contain race data. As for cops, when the black cop pulled me over, for a headlight being out, I didn't assume he did so because I was white.

16. I can do that, i they meant "buy", and not "by". Affirmative action for that college position, perhaps? That's grade school usage!!

17. Not really. I am pretty pale, and will go with a clear bandage, or use makeup, that comes in all shades.

18. I am blonde. Anyone really want to go there???

19. Nope. Sixth grade, was the ONLY white kid, till they shuffled us around to place the ONLY five of us all in one room. Gee, that "de-segregation" worked out so well, eh? Not!

20. Again, no. Like bosses, prof come in all colors, too.

Epic fail on this stupid, racist quiz! Ironic, too, that people who complain about someone assuming they got something via affirmative action will assume white people got something based on race.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

LOL,I remember when I brought my Land Rover into a dealership,evidently wearing casual clothes in the showroom is a faux paux when shopping for 100k plus cars,been to places in Palm Springs my boss asked bartender for prices we were told we were at the wrong bar,so depending on where you are your treated as a stereotype,and funny thing friends of mine are millionaires from millionaire family's,they act nothing like this,why is it when I stop into a liquor store in the ghetto they all stare and stereotype me,truth is if your different you will be treated accordingly,thats life,many see the guy with fancy house car etc as being rich,but he may be overextended in credit,so in reality he doesn't own anything

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

Since I'm painted as a racist because of the skin colour I was born with, I have decided I might as well be one.

Triggered?

Couldn't think of anything original to reply with?

No.

I'm sorry you are so affected by other people opinions that you alter who you are to accommodate them.

Until you can enter into a conversation without resorting to tautology your posts will have no credibility.

Hey you are the one who said you are allowing others to change who you are because of their perceptions. That's 100% on you. Where exactly is the "tautology" in that? It's just an immature argument. Just pointing it out.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

This type of things in an university it only shows what kind of higher education "educators" our youngster are getting thanks to the new idea that an education can be bought for the right money.

I bet nobody will check the credentials of this particular professor or the check list in its background on racism.

Because doing so is "racist".

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

...and in any paper you may write, quote the book extensively. It works.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Just in case anyone is curious.

The Black Male Privileges Checklist.

This list is too large to put in one post, so here is the link to the PDF. (CheckList)

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Notice the language being used. Privilege vs. Right.

From Wikipedia:

A privilege is a certain entitlement to immunity granted by the state or another authority to a restricted group, either by birth or on a conditional basis. Land-titles and taxi medallions are pronounced examples of transferable privilege. These can be revoked in certain circumstances. In modern democratic states, a privilege is conditional and granted only after birth. By contrast, a right is an inherent, irrevocable entitlement held by all citizens or all human beings from the moment of birth.

So, things like being able to surround yourself with people you can relate to and feel comfortable with, learning about others from your race who inspire you (there are inspirational figures from ALL races,) being able to shop without being harassed, and being honored for one's personal merits rather than one's skin color are no longer rights but privileges, which, according to conventional language, can be taken away...

This is NOT about lifting up people whose rights have been trampled on... It's about cutting everyone else DOWN. There is no net gain of rights or quality of life. Only net loss. Cutting down other people's quality of life to match your own is pure malice and envy. I find it incredible that so many people fail to see this... Or maybe they just don't care?
edit on 20-9-2017 by hololeap because: Clarity

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Yes, there is some level of "privilege" for white people that may not exist for non-white people. That is not the problem. That if nothing else, is and should be the "norm" and people shouldn't be shamed or made to feel guilty for being normal. If there is a problem, it is that non-white people may not receive the same level of trust, etc. that white people receive.

The fix is not to shame white people for being white, or try to point out at every turn how "privileged" they are for being white. The fix is to fix the source of the problem. Not the perceived result. I don't know all the fixes to bring everyone to the same level.. but I DO know the correct fix doesn't involve removing rights, privileges (perceived or otherwise) etc. from one person to try and level that playing field.

If they spent half the effort trying to fix the actual problem, instead of trying to placate everyone that omg whites are privileged and we must spend time and effort pointing it out!, it would go a long way to start fixing the real issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join