It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what about fixing the star system on ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: carewemust

2012?

Whoa!

Around the time I had my old account I can still look it up and embarrass myself with what I wrote.
I guess losing a password comes with the benefits of a fresh start.
edit on 13-9-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

Owned v. owned, 0wned, pwned, 0wn3d, pwn3d, own3d. v. tr. To be made a fool of; To make a fool of; To confound or prove wrong; embarrasing someone: Being embarrased.

Oh. That social media stuff.
I told you, I don't do that.

edit on 9/13/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   

On the downside stars are a way to statistically influence opinion people.

Are you influenced by them?
Are you better than "opinion people?" Must be awesome.

link   

originally posted by: Phage

2012?

Whoa!

What were you doing then little fella?

link   
Keep the French out of this... we have nothing to do with enticing people with artificial rewards.

Warmest

Lags

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   

What were you doing then little fella?

Telling people how stupid the notion of Nibiru is, and that nothing in particular was going to happen on December 21, among other things. Guess what? I was right.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You clearly don't understand.
There is a facebook icon on this site and there is you and then there is oauth authentication.
So no social media stuff ? Think about it.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Most people join here to read the content,things happened a bit different then now,don't start removing statues when you just moved in,kids,have to have the most points

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   

You're awesome too Phagy

Yes I'm influenced everyone is. That's the purpose of the reward system. it's to lure people to do certain actions on a website.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
Ridding ATS of stars would indeed get rid of the rubbish one liners people type.

Not really. People who go for the quick, cheap joke don't need stars to encourage them. I--I mean, THEY--would post the rubbish no matter what because it's the nature of the troll.

We do it for the lulz, not the stars.

The stars just draw attention to members with the most clout, and hell, their avatars do that anyway so what's the greater evil? The star, or the avatar?

The stars have their purpose though. Instead of having everybody reply to a post with "Yeah, I agree," they can be 'starred' as a form of acknowledgement.

Anyway, I rarely, rarely ever get replies but seem to have a few stars for some reason. I would always rather have a dialogue going.

p.s. Why is your member description just a bunch of stars?????

edit on 13-9-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I'm selling my stars. Make me an offer.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

And I've repeatedly said so. Stars have nothing to do with it.

Why not ? people collect likes and friends make sockpuppets and then come in on ATS from other networks. Kids See stars start posting Garb (I mean onliners and so) on ATS. Share stuff and show friends how 'awesome' they are
ATS site owners happy , more vistors is more revenue. AT community not so...
Without the star system the populus of ATS would change , crap will diminish.

But as you said ... you don't give a flying french fly

Really , In the responses of this post I learned that members don't give a crap about honesty on the site (their platform). If so why should they give a crap about honesty ignorance or truth about this world.

Stars ok ... it's broken so let not fix it... sooo dificult

ATS is broken... ok let's not fix it.... sooo dificult

edit on 9132017 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: theBLESSINGofVISION

onions ?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   
This is :

I don't like stars so therefore ... no one else can have stars!

Now, replace the word 'stars' with anything else and you may understand why people will push back.

If you do not like stars ... then don't look at them.

I like the star system.

I do not intend to end up as a clone of something you want. Leave my stars alone! And the cup thing and do not touch my lightning bolts. That is my ammo. I always send a few towards Phage ... just for S&Gs.

P

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   
"Fixing" the star counts has been discussed by the owners before, and it's not as simple as a minor SQL change like you'd think. As I understand it, it's a glitch that has to be fixed one poster at a time with the erroneous count to return to accurate star counts. Ergo, way too much time and effort to be worthwhile to remedy.

Besides, to quote the Pussycat Dolls, don't cha wish your star count was hot like mine?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Boy ... what I could do with your 39,200 lightning bolts. Oh My!

I could battle Thor Himself!

P

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Boy ... what I could do with your 39,200 lightning bolts. Oh My!

I could battle Thor Himself!

P

I evidently radiate so much karma, I might as well be our solar system's second sun

Edit: Never mind, the poster with the most glitchy stars also has the most glitchy bolts --- 2,616,398 karma!
edit on 9/13/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   

BUT...since this forum is FREE and I learn a lot, the quirks are overlooked. You have to weigh the pros against the cons, then decide if you want to continue.

Well you're right I've learned a lot too. And with all the social/media manipulation in mind I'm asking myself if I still want to continue on ATS. But Weak as I am I always return to ATS.

The ATS "star" issue has been raised by other members over the past couple of years. Apparently the owners have bigger things to be concerned with.

I don't think so. It's just a convienient method to influence people in a very stealthy way. ALL social networks and quite a few sites have somekind of reward-system. Reward meaning stars in this context. It should be a big issue because that meaningless number is influencing behaviour of visitors. The fact that they don't fix it and that (I can be wrong) most people with mijlons of stars are less 'openminded' tells me that it's could be used to influence the board. [my opinion]

So you're saying that new members are affected somehow by the number of stars existing members have? How so?

It's a reward-system so yes like in every other site there is influence. In my opinion it's a system that brings in members that are not really interested in conspiracies.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   

So it takes years to fix it sooo difficult to change a record entry ?

Are they even trying.... why don't get rid of the system isn't it time for something better ?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   

How about no stars?
edit on 13-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join