It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what about fixing the star system on ATS

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
Members with an excessive amount of stars are usually skeptics. go figure.

Not always. To quote the Beatles I'm the fool on the hill.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

No. If it is they have failed. No one cares about stars.
edit on 9132017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

a reply to: carewemust

I don't think so. It's just a convienient method to influence people in a very stealthy way. ALL social networks and quite a few sites have somekind of reward-system. Reward meaning stars in this context. It should be a big issue because that meaningless number is influencing behaviour of visitors. The fact that they don't fix it and that (I can be wrong) most people with mijlons of stars are less 'openminded' tells me that it's could be used to influence the board. [my opinion]

I haven't noticed that those older posters are more close minded. Skeptical, perhaps. That is probably due to the cyclic nature of time. I have not been here too long, but I have become more skeptical due to lessons learned. Denying ignorance and seeking the truth via facts and evidence. I can only imagine I will become more skeptical too in time. Stars or no stars.
edit on 9 13 2017 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I don't care about stars but if there's an appropriate quip or a clever repartee or even a line from a song I'll post it. I'm not looking for literary fame either. I'll leave that to Salinger.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

It's not a reward system it's a popularity system.
The stars are given by other members to posts they like or agree with or to members they like or agree with.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

edit on 9132017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
No! please don't take my stars away! I feel I've earned them!

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Subtype type and class (reward or popularity system)
What's the point ? it's broken , so in fact it's a broken popularity system that's why I posted.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

It matters and it has effect on the behaviour of people. But i see people don't care... they don't know how they are being manipulated with reward systems. Stars are nothing it doesn't matter so why do they exists ? so delete them... and why is ATS not 'smart' enough to fix a broken system if members ask to correct the problem.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

It matters and it has effect on the behaviour of people. But i see people don't care... they don't know how they are being manipulated with reward systems. Stars are nothing it doesn't matter so why do they exists ? so delete them... and why is ATS not 'smart' enough to fix a broken system if members ask to correct the problem.

& Flag

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

No,don't get rid of the stars! I want stars,I need stars...whew,
got that off my chest.
Seriously now,I don't always count how many stars I get.There
have been times that I have been surprised by how many some
posts have given me.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I have never used stars to gauge the credibility or lack-of, of other posters.

I like my stars though, because I know some other people find them annoying.

Nostalgia Here
edit on 9-13-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Perhaps you are correct. I remember a time before the mud pit forum where those yummy Digital reward cookies could get real addicting! Yummy yum yum!

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Stars or no Stars, it wont fix any BS posting on this site.

The main source of BS posting is not Stars; it is new members who have just signed up who need to get the required post count to access features of the site.

ATS is not a source of honesty and integrity, and if you really thought that...I feel bad for you.

Springer will not remove them as there is no need to.

If one is bothered by the Stars, use a browser blocker and remove the elements where the Stars are place and the associated text - I do it for the Message Icon here, I do not like receiving Messages and I do not read them when I receive them...so I removed the Message Icon and the links to them so I did not have to view it.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

stars // flags will never mean anything usefull :

reason one

reason two

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Now this is strange.. I was going to give you a star, but this thread doesn't allow it. Maybe ATS IS in the process of eliminating the star system. FrenchFries got through to the owners! He is indeed powerful.

what! well, why the heck did i even post in this thread?

no stars... what is this world coming to

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
If you find yourself with too many stars or points do as I do, post something that gets you T&C'd. You can practically watch them dwindle away. My plan to reach zero and achieve total conspiracy enlightenment is almost complete.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Everyone equal and a fresh start would benefit ATS.

Equality, yes. For instance (speaks softly), on Reddit you can hide or show your up arrows, your choice.

Imo, that allows humbleness.

The reason that this isn't fixed in years tells me there is something else going on on this site

Not that big a deal. Its nostalgic more than anything.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Dude, here's the thing: If you don't like the star system, that's fine. Just don't look at the damn stars. Or don't visit ATS at all; nobody's forcing you to come here and use it, after all. Two very simple--and effective--solutions.

Seriously, what gives you the moral right to come in here and try to dictate to other members and to the owners of the site whether the way they do things is acceptable or not? The fact is that ATS is a privately owned site and they can do with it, or not do with it, what they want. And they don't want to fix it. And it doesn't make one damn bit of difference what you or anyone else thinks of that...because it's THEIR site and they're just nice enough to let us use it.

Now, if you're REALLY concerned about rewards influencing public opinion, why don't you stop heckling ATS and go lobby Facebook to get rid of "likes"? After all, they do reach a few more people than ATS does and people care about the "reward" a whole lot more.

Dae

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Simon_Boudreaux
If you find yourself with too many stars or points do as I do, post something that gets you T&C'd. You can practically watch them dwindle away. My plan to reach zero and achieve total conspiracy enlightenment is almost complete.

Now this is the type of post I would star, cos I laughed out loud

It took me a few years to notice all my friggin' stars, I'm like the opposite of the OP

wow just noticed the lightning bolts hahaha
edit on 13/9/17 by Dae because: me lightning bolts lol

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join