It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Ancient Humans Coexisted with Dinosaurs?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Seems like a no brainer that humans have, in our ancient past, encountered terror birds of one size or another. I know they went extinct 2.5mil years ago....but that just means fossils in more contemporary strata have not been found.

The legends seem to be pretty much spot on (i.e., "feathered serpents").

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Humans have been creating works of fiction and related art for tens of thousands of years. Art is not evidence of anything except creativity. They didn't live with dinosaurs any more than they lived with wizards, elves, vampires, werewolves, magic, gods, etc. There are stories out there about literally everything. To think they are true just because some of the tales slightly resemble dinosaurs, is a bit absurd. Could some large dinosaur type birds have survived the extinction 65 mya and carried on into human years? Sure it's possible, but unlikely since there is no hard evidence. Birds are what are left of the dinosaurs. In all reality, those ancient stories and art are creative works of fiction, just like we see today.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ancienthistorian

Define "dinosaur."

(I'm assuming you're not suggesting that Ice Age megafauna were contemporary with T Rex, if you are, please ignore my question.)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhereAmEYE

originally posted by: Noinden
a reply to: ancienthistorian

NO. No they did not. Until concrete proof, not cirumstantial shows up. The answer is an emphatic No.

Not even a maybe?

I know none of us were there, so none of us can prove it either way, how can you say no, so definitively? You made the "factual" claim so the onus is on you to prove your statement, I doubt that you will return to explain how you know for a fact that dinosaurs and humans did not co-exist.

Personally, I think it is very probable.

Just an FYI, he's saying that the answer is no until evidence is found. That's how science works. He doesn't have prove the assertion wrong, when said assertion has no supporting evidence. A person who claims dinosaurs and humans coexisted needs to prove that right. That's how science and logic works. Saying that none of us were there is a cop out. Scientists have ways to study the past without being there and there is literally zero evidence in the fossil layers of humans and dinosaurs living together. Maybe one day we'll find it, but it's not seeming very likely considering the millions of fossils that have been discovered and not a single one out of place in the fossil layers.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Dudemo5

Idk.. if your sure they became exinct millions of years before the other because a species...

That sounds like proof to me lol..

Scientific theories can never be "proven," only disproven. And the more facts that the model explains without being disproven, the more well supported the theory is.

Evolution itself is so well supported that it is highly unlikely that any scientific model will ever supplant it. However, a particular aspect of the model, such as the one posed in this thread, will by nature be less well supported than the theory as a whole. Although, the fact that non-avian dinosaurs died long before hominids walked the earth is pretty damned well supported, and I agree is likely to never be disproved.

My point is that the nature of scientific theories is that they can never really be proven, as in there must always be some way for it to be falsifiable, else it is not science.

Specific observations are of course PROVABLE. These are known as facts. But once we start stringing multiple facts together to make an over-arching argument, we step up to a higher level of abstraction, from scientific fact to scientific model.
edit on 12-9-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Hey look you are projecting again... You don't read people very well

Again we have ample evidence. Every dinosaur fossil can be dated to 65 million years back (give or take half a million years, due to small survivals). Those who survived ... evolved. Oh wait, thats out of your ability to understand.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Oy vey.....

(a) They have evolved. The DNA shows that.
(b) Wales and elephants are NOT crocodiles and sharks now are they? Previously ancestors of the elephant were bigger ever hear of Megafauna? No?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: WhereAmEYE

The "maybe" could also be you know the decendants of the Dionosaurs. Which are no longer Dinosaurs.

Sixty Five (65) million years is ample time for them not to be recognizable.

Again google the Moa and other large flightless birds (en.wikipedia.org...)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well actually some terror birds (the giant Moa in New Zealand) lived till a cnetury or so back. So its clear that others probably survived a bit, before we killed them
If you look at the fact that in certain areas the dinosaurs survived up to 500 000 years past the extinction event (due to isolation) its not out of the realms of possibility that megafauna birds did too. Hell there is good evidence that there were still mammoths alive when the pyramids were being built.

Now dinosaurs? Nah. Evolved to something else from dinosaurs.... oh wait we talked about "terror birds" already

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Perhaps humans and dinosaurs didn't coexist but aliens did

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

Yes some dinosaurs survived the extinction event (we know at least one group survived half a million years, still it is 65 million years ago, that is not a short time for evolution).

Sixty Five Million years.

Mull that over.

The dinosaurs had evolved to something else entirely by then. They don't look like Dinosaurs. Lets look at how long humans (lets say genus Homo?) have been around. Its assumed 2.3 million years. Versus 65 million years.

So yes the answer is very easy. No no dinosaurs (as we would call them) crossed with humans. There decendants. Sure. I live in a country, where people still claim they see giant flightless birds. The giant Moa. Now terror birds (Phorusrhacidae)? Perhaps, though very unlikely as humans did not move into South America till the very end of their known existance. Also human memory is not so good, so yeah I go with these as the "giant scary things in the forrests)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: PlasticWizard
Was this ever proven fake?

Watch your video again, and you'll see that the dinosaur is closely pursued by a smaller version of the same creature (it appears briefly on the left, runs forward with the bigger creature, and then disappears off the bottom of the screen).

It has been stolen from a mildly famous scene in Jurassic Park. The hoaxer has cropped it into a tight close-up, reversed the image about its vertical axis (i.e., changed left to right), reduced it to monochrome, added a bit of (not very convincing) 'camera-shake', and slowed it down quite a bit.

But if you watch this excerpt from that scene, you will see the same creature (and the same little creature that follows it) emerge from behind some trees and run from right to left at just after 19 seconds (watch the video counter to get ready for it).

So yeah, the question was "Was this ever proven fake?" and the answer is "It has now."
edit on 12-9-2017 by audubon because: clarification

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: coomba98

Why yes, however I believe that I should have used youngling for him?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Youngling. You make a lot of claims about "real science". Yet you don't know what that is. Your "Real science" is non-verifiable, and thus a pseudoscience.

The fact you went to ad hominem attacks sort of shows your intellectual level youngling. Earlier you spell flamed too. You have to prove you are even vaguely able to keep up with any of us

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Noted: Didn't provide an alternative to source of "megladon" teeth... you kind of have to do that to claim my ignorance.

But I do know. They're sharks teeth. Real giant sharks teeth. The only specimens those fit today is a shark.

Now, prove_me_wrong.

intrptr,

Totally asinine man.

You say theres huge teeth which is 'confirmed' to be of a shark (which is called megladon), i agree with you yet you ask me to provide evidence were both wrong!! On the teeth issue science agrees with us.

But your post is tap dancing around the question i actually asked.

Nice diversion there. But try making your diversions more covert as opposed to overt. You looks better that way.

Coomba98
edit on 12-9-2017 by coomba98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

(b) Wales and elephants are NOT crocodiles and sharks now are they? Previously ancestors of the elephant were bigger ever hear of Megafauna? No?

I never said Whales were Crocodiles?? Yes I Know about Megafauna. In Alaska they grow record crops because of the continuous light. Imagine a world wth no seasons except summer, and ten percent more oxygen. Life on steroids.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

You say theres huge teeth which is 'confirmed' to be of a shark (which is called megladon), i agree with you yet you ask me to provide evidence were both wrong!! On the teeth issue science agrees with us.

You disagreed, but oaky, now agree.

Fine, whats your question?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

a reply to: Raggedyman

Hey look you are projecting again... You don't read people very well

Again we have ample evidence. Every dinosaur fossil can be dated to 65 million years back (give or take half a million years, due to small survivals). Those who survived ... evolved. Oh wait, thats out of your ability to understand.

Sorry, I didn't know you knew everything

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I didnt disagree about there being large shark teeth.

Only that said large shark teeth were from a great white shark.

The largest verifiable Megalodon tooth is a 7.48” tooth found near Ocucaje, Peru. Compare that to the Great White shark whose teeth reached a maximum size of under 3 inches in the largest individuals.

Your a good tap dancer intrptr.

Coomba98

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Why yes, however I believe that I should have used youngling for him?

Funny isn't it
Little ad hominems to bolster your faith and belittle people and then the very next post
Stripping someone down for doing exactly what you did

You are a peach

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join