It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does God having the power of omnipotence mean?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
In my mind, having the quality of unlimited power means you are not bounded by the laws of physics or the laws of logic. An omnipotent God can exist in more than one place at once and be more than one gender or thing all at the same time. An omnipotent God has no limitations.

So this makes me think the following: If you believe in an omnipotent God then why do you care about the theory of evolution when an omnipotent God can create the Universe in any amount of time along with all the fake fossil and carbon dating evidence. Once you dub your God omnipotent, you have a licence to claim anything you want without any artificial restraints one would have to assume by believing in the scientific method of inquiry. So why not just go with it!

Stop complaining about evolution! Be proud of your omnipotent God! Stop showing your lack of faith in God's unlimited powers be stooping yourself to the level of the scientists. Just be proud and smug of your God's omnipotence!

Jesus said to her, "Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?"

John 11:40

Just believe!!

edit on 4-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
The one thing that is more powerful than omnipotence is having the strength to not do anything. Imagine being omnipotent, what would you do?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Devino
The one thing that is more powerful than omnipotence is having the strength to not do anything. Imagine being omnipotent, what would you do?

I do imagine it! I imagine God would be extremely bored. That is why I have this theory that we are God's way of experiencing the thrill of having limitations by vicariously sharing our experiences of joys and sorrows.

So my question to you is this: Can God have a thought so complex that even She can't understand it?

Of course She can. An omnipotent God is now bounded by the laws of logic.

edit on 5-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

If God is Omnipotent then God allows all of the suffering to exist.

Perhaps He gets off on the violence.

But then, he does like to kill and in huge numbers as Noah witnessed not to mention the former inhabitants of Sodom and Gomea.

On the other hand, his son Jesus is a nice bloke.

Pity he is from a dis-functional family. They even have a family ghost.

Op, why must everyone have to believe as you do?

P

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Why would God have to create fake fossils? Why can't he just create life that evolves?

For some reason people think evolution disproves God, but they have no logical argument for why both can't exist. The existence of one does not disprove the other.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
In my mind, having the quality of unlimited power means you are not bounded by the laws of physics or the laws of logic. An omnipotent God can exist in more than one place at once and be more than one gender or thing all at the same time. An omnipotent God has no limitations.

So this makes me think the following: If you believe in an omnipotent God then why do you care about the theory of evolution when an omnipotent God can create the Universe in any amount of time along with all the fake fossil and carbon dating evidence. Once you dub your God omnipotent, you have a licence to claim anything you want without any artificial restraints one would have to assume by believing in the scientific method of inquiry. So why not just go with it!

Stop complaining about evolution! Be proud of your omnipotent God! Stop showing your lack of faith in God's unlimited powers be stooping yourself to the level of the scientists. Just be proud and smug of your God's omnipotence!

Jesus said to her, "Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?"

John 11:40

Just believe!!

How does that logic work, its like a fools paradise

Why would God create "fake fossil and carbon dating evidence" thats insanity. That would make God a liar
More likely mans logic in science is flawed. Your arrogance is a good indicator of your intelligence.

I get it, science is your God and you want us non believers of your faith to bow down to your diety.

Cool...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

If God is Omnipotent then God allows all of the suffering to exist.

Perhaps He gets off on the violence.

But then, he does like to kill and in huge numbers as Noah witnessed not to mention the former inhabitants of Sodom and Gomea.

On the other hand, his son Jesus is a nice bloke.

Pity he is from a dis-functional family. They even have a family ghost.

Op, why must everyone have to believe as you do?

P

What
Do you really think things through, seriously, do you not know how ludicrous what you are saying is

Have you put the slightest amount of thought into your post

Here is your argument

God is bad because He lets bad people do bad things God punished and killed bad people for doing bad things, He is a bad God

So if He lets people do bad things He is bad, if God stops people He is bad.

and in your mind thats logic, what?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: scojak

yep science is just Gods manifestations that we humans dont fully understand

"Your ancestors called it magic...
You call it science...
But I come from a place where there one in the same"

Thor...lol

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   
It means that God is a heavily overpowered Mary Sue.

"Hey, listen to me! My god is better than yours, because.. uhm.. he can do ANYTHING! ANYTHING! And he sees you all day and will know everything about you!" (Religious preachers, ca. 70-100 AD)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Do you really think things through, seriously, do you not know how ludicrous what you are saying is

Says the guy that believes in a grey bearded God living in the clouds.

Your arrogance is a good indicator of your intelligence.

Hey pot, how's the fire going?

Lol

P

edit on 5/9/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/9/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Point taken. I wouldn't do a damn thing either, and that goes a long way in explaining the state of the world.

You have an uncanny knack of making an atheist a believer, you know that?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   
God isn't a person who chooses to do good or bad. God is what is happening - what is happening is all there is.
Right here and now there appears to be something (what is happening) - this is it - there is nothing other.
edit on 5-9-2017 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   

If I put it into your realm of comprehension for me my GOD is Creator. He is the presiding infinite and eternal intelligence. All manifestation of matter in this dimension is His Creation. He has total control of it because He is the Programmer and we are just code that He can delete, may only let last a while or even last forever like HIM.

It is we who broke from Him, no the other way round. He even sent us His half ET only Son on a mission here that He knew would get murdered by us. He is angry with us because we are #ting all over Creation, we murdered most of His Messengers and His Son and we behave so badly on the earth and always have since we got duped by an Angel subversive. History for us all proves what murderous savages we are and have been collectively.

Even His Son did not know everything and was very humble about it. Christ said that He did not even know when the end would come and when He would come back, but that He knew He would come back. That is how I know that no person knows the time, place or the hour. Why the Creator lets us carry on for a time being so destructively is as mysterious as the nature of Sin. I can't claim to know what Sin really is and why God allowed it even. I know the effects of it and I have come to know how useless I am at controlling myself totally, that I still make ridiculously stupid mistakes sometimes.

It's all this and so much more. You have to walk it to know it. Who feels it knows it. When I describe GOD sometimes I say HE does what HE does and authorizes what HE authorizes as I understand it from what the prophets and Christ told me about Him. Only they had special access which I do not have, so I listen to them because they are experts and I am not.

edit on 5-9-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:15 AM
link   
You think god ever wonders if he was created?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
...I have this theory that we are God's way of experiencing the thrill of having limitations by vicariously sharing our experiences of joys and sorrows.
I do like this theory. I feel that this then means the purpose of life is to "experience" it.

So my question to you is this: Can God have a thought so complex that even She can't understand it?

Of course She can. An omnipotent God is now bounded by the laws of logic.
This sounds like a logical paradox. Either way it is answered it appears to disprove omnipotence.

What happens when an immovable object meets an irresistible force? Personally I think paradoxes are philosophical in nature and don't exist in reality. At least this helps me sleep at night.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Absolutely nothing. That's the answer to your title. God's not been doing much since his old testament days filled with smiting folks and destroying cities (filled with people I might add). Been relatively quiet. As a matter of fact...not a word nor smite nor anything. It's almost like he doesn't exist.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taupin Desciple

Point taken. I wouldn't do a damn thing either, and that goes a long way in explaining the state of the world.

That's a nice compliment yet at the same time I feel the need to apologize, lol. I think religious beliefs are best left up to the individual. It doesn't seem right to attempt to persuade someone one way or another.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Why the Creator lets us carry on for a time being so destructively is as mysterious as the nature of Sin.

Nah, not so much. To some people it isn't that mysterious.

Why Does God Permit Suffering? Awake!—2006

Why Does God Allow Suffering? What Does the Bible Really Teach? (chapter 11)

Why do we die? Why did Jesus Die? PART TWO

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Taupin Desciple

That's a nice compliment yet at the same time I feel the need to apologize, lol. I think religious beliefs are best left up to the individual. It doesn't seem right to attempt to persuade someone one way or another.

I should have put /sarcasm at the end of the last sentence. My bad. You didn't really change my beliefs, I just found it interesting the way you explained yours.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

You are thinking too one dimensionally. An omnipotent god would also be immortal by that very definition. Thus an omnipotent god will eventually do everything possible, including nothing, just to stay occupied.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join