It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does God having the power of omnipotence mean?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
a reply to: dfnj2015

If God is Omnipotent then God allows all of the suffering to exist.

Perhaps He gets off on the violence.

I'm not sure the concept of "getting off" applies to God. I think God's morality comes from within. What makes us happy makes God happy. What makes us sad makes God sad. Although many human's exhibit pathological behavior, I would not think this is God's way of being. If God were really pathological, these would be much less joyful that they currently are.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: scojak

Why would God have to create fake fossils? Why can't he just create life that evolves?

For some reason people think evolution disproves God, but they have no logical argument for why both can't exist. The existence of one does not disprove the other.

God would create fake fossils so his proving ground for faith would contain the maximum amount challenge to the beliefs.

But if you are a man of science then why do you care why God would create fake fossils and carbon dating evidence. I was not answering why. I was just stating an omnipotent God is surely capable of creating the Universe in any amount of time. An omnipotent God could have created the Universe 3 seconds ago with all your fake memories intact.

I agree with you on it makes no sense at all for people to think evolution disproves God.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: dfnj2015
In my mind, having the quality of unlimited power means you are not bounded by the laws of physics or the laws of logic. An omnipotent God can exist in more than one place at once and be more than one gender or thing all at the same time. An omnipotent God has no limitations.

So this makes me think the following: If you believe in an omnipotent God then why do you care about the theory of evolution when an omnipotent God can create the Universe in any amount of time along with all the fake fossil and carbon dating evidence. Once you dub your God omnipotent, you have a licence to claim anything you want without any artificial restraints one would have to assume by believing in the scientific method of inquiry. So why not just go with it!

Stop complaining about evolution! Be proud of your omnipotent God! Stop showing your lack of faith in God's unlimited powers be stooping yourself to the level of the scientists. Just be proud and smug of your God's omnipotence!

Jesus said to her, "Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?"

John 11:40

Just believe!!

How does that logic work, its like a fools paradise

Why would God create "fake fossil and carbon dating evidence" thats insanity. That would make God a liar
More likely mans logic in science is flawed. Your arrogance is a good indicator of your intelligence.

I get it, science is your God and you want us non believers of your faith to bow down to your diety.

God can never be a liar. God's mind is slightly more complex than your own. I could easily imagine God creating a Universe in which His proving ground for faith would include evidence many would find challenging to their faith. Would you prefer God created a Universe in which having faith in God were as easy as drinking water? It seems you are the one who is arrogantly making judgments about God.

My arrogance about what? I never said anything I was claiming was absolute truth. I was just making a statement about the meaning of omnipotence with regards to God's capabilities.

Science is not my God. God is my God.

I'm not sure what is offending you or what is motivating you to post. My point is deists who talk about evolution are making an admission of their own lack of faith in an omnipotent God. The Japanese have a saying, "The first person to raise their voice in an argument loses." If faith in God is so easily challenged by the existence of evolution science I think it means faith is weak.

edit on 5-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Devino

originally posted by: dfnj2015
...I have this theory that we are God's way of experiencing the thrill of having limitations by vicariously sharing our experiences of joys and sorrows.
I do like this theory. I feel that this then means the purpose of life is to "experience" it.

So my question to you is this: Can God have a thought so complex that even She can't understand it?

Of course She can. An omnipotent God is now bounded by the laws of logic.
This sounds like a logical paradox. Either way it is answered it appears to disprove omnipotence.

What happens when an immovable object meets an irresistible force? Personally I think paradoxes are philosophical in nature and don't exist in reality. At least this helps me sleep at night.

I like that you are actually using your brain as it was intended to be used. However, God is not bounded by logical consistency.

I just notice a typo on my post. I meant to say "an omnipotent God is NOT bounded by the laws of logic."

Omnipotence is all things at once. Omnipotence is sane and insanity at the same time. Again, an omnipotent God is not bounded by logical consistency or physical laws. With an omnipotent God, reality is spontaneously created as thoughts are imagined.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

The problem with your way of thinking is how nature is so consistent in executing the laws of physics. Nature is just so amazingly consistent. I have never seen nature behave out of the ordinary. I drop an apple. It always falls to the ground. The same way every time.

You would think if God were like the way you imagine we would occasionally see some hiccups in the system.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElOmen
You think god ever wonders if he was created?

God has no beginning so the thought would never cross His mind.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest non-existence is a state in reality. Just because we imagine non-existence is possible doesn't mean it is real. All the evidence of reality suggests reality has always existed. The only evidence with have for non-existences is our imaginations about our own non-existence. But life existed long before we were born so even our own non-existence is based on delusion.

One thing is for sure: Reality always turns out to be much stranger than anything we could have ever imagined.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Devino
The one thing that is more powerful than omnipotence is having the strength to not do anything. Imagine being omnipotent, what would you do?

You are thinking too one dimensionally. An omnipotent god would also be immortal by that very definition. Thus an omnipotent god will eventually do everything possible, including nothing, just to stay occupied.

The best post of the thread. I agree, God is much more than our simple imaginations.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

It's like people don't understand what the word "omnipotent" means when they start humanizing god's characteristics. An omnipotent being CAN'T be humanized because humans aren't omnipotent.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Dream me a dream. There you are. There I was.

Reflecting nothing, but oneself.

edit on 5-9-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
If God omnipotent, and it seem like God not doing or giving a crap. It must mean hes busy, creating, preserving and destroying universe s.

All the dam time. Omnipotentence must be like clock work.
edit on 5-9-2017 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

one verse in the preserved word of God says that God omnipotent reigneth and in its context is refering to Jesus Christ

Re 19:5 ¶ And a voice came out of the throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye his servants, and ye that fear him, both small and great.
6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
11 ¶ And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

Does not omnipotent simply mean ALL actually ever Powerful?

Omnipotent - ever powerful and its sister doctrines of omnipresent - ever present, and Omniscient - ever knowing, were created by the Roman Catholic church and brought over by the many protestant churches, Baptist though not protestant accepted these into their own doctrines as well.

One verse tells us God knoweth all 1John 3:20, and only one verse that speaks of the truth being with us forever more (that truth being Jesus Christ) in 2 John 1:2.

Though there are many were that attest that God knows all, is everywhere and more powerful than all else do exist. only one Omni is found in the whole bible and as said up top it is in context of Jesus Christ, and his second return or second coming for those who do not know he returns trice but comes twice.

JMHObservations

edit on 5-9-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I had to reply to you, if only to say this:

If god is omnipotent and omniscient, then it's impossible for him to be angry with results he expected; results he not only expected, but desired. How could such an enlightened entity be so childish as to get angry over his own creation that he set forth? Not just that, but why create something that he would knowingly hate? The absurdity of this should speak volumes as to humanities bad conceptualization of God, as well as the written word.

We Humans have a bad habit of anthropomorphizing God. When you take the above questions further, you begin to realize that there is no sin, only difficult decisions which over time, become easier. Taken further, there is no devil, only that which is godly and that which is ungodly; love and fear. Love is the goal, there is no other. Be who you are, not anyone or anything else and know you are loved.

It's entirely your choice to consume these words or cast them aside; I just felt like you needed to see them.

Godspeed

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

Love by whom? God?

If you say yes, then you are Anthropomorphizing God by giving him emotions of men i.e. love.

Your words speak as if you do not believe in God Though you capitalize one of his Names i.e. God, and you give a closing salutation to the man "Godspeed". Speed is a human concept and once again you are Anthropomorphizing God with a human understanding i.e. speed.

You couldn't clock God's speed even if you tried, not until you can quantumize, that is place a time measurement or time quantum on God's speed i.e. "from Everlasting to Everlasting" i.e. Eternity. And once we have achieved that there will be no need for the clock so it is a waist of time to even really endeavor. That is why any time dating system we use for this world or the universe it will always be billions upon billions of our 24/7/365.2.

JMHObeservation

edit on 6-9-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Your flavour of god knows hate and vengeance (according to your book), so why wouldn't it know love?

Or are you saying your particular god is just hateful?
edit on 692017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Hey Great to see ya Terry, Howz it bra?

I was just showing the individual above he was in essence doing the same while claiming others did without understanding or conception of who God is.

Yes, God is a God of vengeance, yes he hates, yes he gets angry, yes he is loving, yes he has all that which we would say is human but yet he is truly more than we could understand in this life. He does not have stork wings nor do any of his angles. He is not the equal to the or opposite of the Devil. He is above all yet in and through all.

JMHO

Have a great one Terry

edit on 6-9-2017 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

You seem to be doing a lot of speaking for your god while having a go at others saying they can't know what god thinks.

Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I may know him better through his word and prayer. And that makes me more knowledgeable than let's say, one who knows he exists by asking God to damn things, calls on Jesus Christ when he hits his thumb with a hammer, and has enough knowledge of hell to tell someone to go there.

Good day mate!

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

You really don't understand English, so don't start with your rediculous off topic rants.

As for knowing god? All you've shown is you're exactly like your god. Angry, hateful and full of vengeance. Well done!

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Well my God must not be the god you damn people with, and call on when you hurt yourself, and use to send people to hell that is far more hateful than anything I have ever said of my God. Your god is the hateful god. because of the hateful things you use your god to do as named above.

My God is love, hates sin and sinners, knows those who are his and gives them understanding where they will go when they die. I am sure you god does too.

posted on Sep, 6 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Sure sure.

You god is love? Yeah, right. That's why your god lets kids die of hunger, kills millions and gets angry and vindictive at someone being called bald.

But it's nice you're stalking me now. Just shows I've hit a nerve with you being insecure about your religion.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join