It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Tampa fires teacher whose tweet blamed Harvey on Texas GOP vote

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It's that extreme leap that takes you from being correct in the philosophical sense, to being incorrect in real world application.

Again, it is a statement of fact that words do not possess someone, put a spell on them, and force others to act against their will.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Threatening someone with immanent death while pointing a firearm at them isn't mere expression, but a real world danger. The words aren't the only objects in play in this scenario.

So words do matter? The objects in play only matter when the words express the specific intent of the person. Those words matter, as they tell us the intent of the person involved.

Again, is it true or false that words manipulate or push your body in any fashion?

Again, depends on the situation, as you have admitted.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

It's that extreme leap that takes you from being correct in the philosophical sense, to being incorrect in real world application.

Again, it is a statement of fact that words do not possess someone, put a spell on them, and force others to act against their will.

See my previous post.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

It's social engineering.

"Words have consequences".

Well, obviously they do now when a person can be punished for saying the wrong thing.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Can anyone come up with a list of words or phrases that can not be said for fear of being punished?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Or should we just be able to say polite things, kind things, positive things so no one gets offended?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
If someone says something negative towards me, should they be fired from work or be unable to find work because my feelings are hurt?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

In fact, I would argue that is a property of barbarism.

What? Moi? A barbarian?

Disrespectful word or action from Party A effectively voids the decorum contract between parties and opens the door for Party B to handle things without civility.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Or should we just be able to say polite things, kind things, positive things so no one gets offended?

I fear you are missing the point. It's not about being offended. It's about words having a potential real world effect on the reputations of people, businesses or institutions.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Yes, as earlier stated, words are a reflection of the person who speaks them. Words do matter. My point is that any of your subsequent actions are the consequence of your own choices. Even if you do nothing, that is on you, not him.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I fear you are missing the point. It's not about being offended. It's about words having a potential real world effect on the reputations of people, businesses or institutions.

So a university is against the very concept of free expression. Because their reputation exists solely upon the positivity of things said by the faculty.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Can anyone come up with a list of words or phrases that can not be said for fear of being punished?

Thanks in advance.

Another questions would-be censors cannot answer: who decides on what words can or cannot be said?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Yes, as earlier stated, words are a reflection of the person who speaks them. Words do matter. My point is that any of your subsequent actions are the consequence of your own choices. Even if you do nothing, that is on you, not him.

But you admit that some words require action, given the context in which they are spoken.

If they are a detriment or danger to yourself or others, you would agree that it is acceptable to act on those words?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That's why morality and principle, not threat, violence or coercion, is important to keep civility in check.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Some words require that you act, yes. But your actions are the consequence of your choices.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

So a university is against the very concept of free expression. Because their reputation exists solely upon the positivity of things said by the faculty.

Solely? No.

But the words of one of it's faculty may have a negative, monetary effect on it's bottom line, which is the basis for claims of defamation and such in the court of law, as I understand it.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Some words require that you act, yes. But your actions are the consequence of your choices.

But words can compel you to act.

Is that requirement compelled by the power or context of words, or "sorcery"?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Because of fear of monetary punishment, a man lost his job because he spoke. He said what was on his mind.

He was honest.

I see that many would rather live in a society of polite liars than run the risk of being honest and offending.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

They fired him because their bottom line was at jeopardy from angry alumni and boosters. This was a business decision, which is their right.

It is their right. But they spit on freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech comes with consequences. That's why you can get arrested for yelling "fire" in a theater. But hey, you're free to do so.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

No the words do not force you, coerce you, incite you, or compell you to choose whether to act or not. You do.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join