It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Tampa fires teacher whose tweet blamed Harvey on Texas GOP vote

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: burdman30ott6

They fired him because their bottom line was at jeopardy from angry alumni and boosters. This was a business decision, which is their right.

It is their right. But they spit on freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech comes with consequences. That's why you can get arrested for yelling "fire" in a theater. But hey, you're free to do so.

If speech has a price, then it can't be considered as free.
edit on 30-8-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

They fired him because their bottom line was at jeopardy from angry alumni and boosters. This was a business decision, which is their right.

It is their right. But they spit on freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech comes with consequences. That's why you can get arrested for yelling "fire" in a theater. But hey, you're free to do so.

That's false. The legal president is immanent lawless action in the US.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Because of fear of monetary punishment, a man lost his job because he spoke. He said what was on his mind.

Again, we go back to the argument of the rights of one over the other.

Do private business owners have the right to exercise their rights and fire a person for being a risk to their business, or do we protect the right of the individual to say what they want, without consideration of the rights of others?

I see that many would rather live in a society of polite liars than run the risk of being honest and offending.

I see that many would rather let people step on the rights of others.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I'm not sure he should have lost his job, unless he was saying things like that in class. Maybe a polite talking to about what he does in public reflects on his place of employment.

Words are powerful tools though. Charismatic people like televangelists can empty peoples pockets, leaders like Hitler and Stalin can get people to accept atrocities as the right thing to do. Words can also backfire on the speaker and get them labeled a loon, or get them fired.

The school has the right to keep or get rid of whoever they want to and if an employee is doing things that might drive away customers and cost the school money, the decision is at least understandable.

I may think they took it too far firing him, but they had every right to do so. Clearly he did not consider the consequences before he took his thoughts public and that's on him.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is crap, republicans are always saying terrible things about democrats, in fact every time a disaster hits a blue state they try to say that god is punishing them, why can't someone say the same about them??

Texas does bear a lot of the burden for increasing extreme weather by ignoring sustainability and climate change.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

a reply to: introvert

No the words do not force you, coerce you, incite you, or compell you to choose whether to act or not. You do.

They require you to act, as you said.

They are just words, right?

Why are you required to act in such situations?

They are just words. What can words "require" you to do?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I see that many would rather let people step on the rights of others.

Who's rights did the man infringe upon?

What words were said that denied the rights to someone else?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

The rights of private business owners.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

The rights of private business owners.

What rights?

Isn't the university a public one?

Doesn't it take federal funds?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
At my place of employment, I'm free to say "f u" to my boss. But he can exercise his free speech and say "you're fired". We're both free to say what we want.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

At my place of employment, I'm free to say "f u" to my boss. But he can exercise his free speech and say "you're fired". We're both free to say what we want.

Just like North Korea.

Anyone can say, "FU" to Kimmy jr.

It's probably not recommended, but you can say it.

So yes, we have the same "free" speech as North Korea.

The only difference is the severity of punishment.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

LINK

The University of Tampa (UT), is a private co-educational university in Downtown Tampa, Florida, United States

It's a private institution and giving people money through government programs to pay for education, is not the same as it being owned by the public.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I stand corrected.

Yes, a private university can and obviously does police the speech of everyone who works there.

Free speech does not exist in the University of Tampa.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

a reply to: introvert

No the words do not force you, coerce you, incite you, or compell you to choose whether to act or not. You do.

They require you to act, as you said.

They are just words, right?

Why are you required to act in such situations?

They are just words. What can words "require" you to do?

I mean rationally. Maybe a poor choice of word. This superstition is so old, so ubiquitous, that it is built into our languages. Admittedly it's difficult to shake.

It would be stupid not to act, but no one is required to act.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
When someone is punished for just stating what they think then their freedom of speech is hindered to say the least. Saying something and acting on those words are two different things entirely.

People just want to keep chipping away at freedoms until freedom becomes a statue that offends someone, and then it is gone.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

It's been going on for a long time with many schools I think. Schools like Harvard don't end up with nearly 100% far Left people without the school being proactive, either in hiring or firing. I think most keep it quiet by weeding out people with views they don't agree with while hiring.

I do think the action was too harsh. A reprimand of some sort should have been the first response and then if he kept it up, run him down the road. I don't care for schools pushing anything political through action or inaction.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

It's commonplace now.

Through social engineering through social media, through social pressure. . .

The freedom of free expression is being eroded to nothing.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I think free expression is limited in many schools by intimidation. In many of the best universities it seems like those who are not in lockstep with the schools biases have to keep their mouths shut to survive and that is sad. It must be hell for conservative kids in many of the private institutions now. Either shut up or they will drive you away.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Before you tell the world something, it is a good idea to just ask yourself..
"What could possibly go wrong here.", before you hit the send key.
edit on 30-8-2017 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

It teaches nothing but obedience and compliance.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join