It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Our Texas Members

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I get that, but Houston, indeed the entire gulf coast has a significant problem that California or Oklahoma doesn't have.
These Hurricanes happen all the time, damned near every year. I've been through countless storms like this starting with Hurricane Carla, 1963. And what makes it worse every time for a reason people don't get..........subsidence! Houston is sinking......some say at the rate of 1 inch per year in some parts. The coast line is sinking. The roads are sinking.

You want to fix problems, some moron was on the Tube a few minutes ago saying some Netherlands style dike should be installed at the mouth of Galveston Bay. Think about it..........if this storm had hit Galveston straight on, it would have destroyed any such dike.

This problem doesn't lend itself to some infrastructure solution. You can't raise the land up as its sinking.

You're not solving problems.........you're just making future victims!

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Stay safe and positive thoughts to all those who have been touched in any way.

Warmest

Lags

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I can't help but think about the wildlife too.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Prayers for TX.

May you stay safe and get help when needed.
The rest of us will bite our nails and send what help we can. Hang in there.

AB

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Thank you. Yes the creek is slowing going down. I hope it keeps going that way

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I'm a Texan, born and raised in the panhandle and still have the family farm [leased]. But live in the high desert Rockies.

But my friends in Rockport lost everything, My Austin friends have 1ft of water in their house,
and I haven't heard anything from my people in Houston, I pray they are ok!

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The problem with Houston is overdevelopment of the land. With all the WalMarts, shopping centers, apartments, and such being built there is less open ground for the rain to be absorbed in.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'm in north Austin, and we are fine. My stepdaughter and her family are in Houston. Last I heard (early this morning), their house is fine and they are continuing to hunker down.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who aren't fine right now.
edit on 28-8-2017 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

It's the access to the port at least for the oil and gas companies.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks

Hey everybody checking in from Texas. Not sure if any Texas members know but If you have a waffle house go get some food if you're able to. They run on gas.

My brothers apartment is about 4 feet underwater right now Stranded but safe.

Current situation

My mom is lives in Bellaire. She's a nurse practitioner and the clinic she works at is flooded and Ben Taub Hospital (where she also works) was evacuated frome flooding as well. She's still dry for now. I'm hearing that they are releasing water from the dam up there too.

I'm all good, we had some downed trees and a crap ton of rain but nothing landed on the house and I managed to keep the water out.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I'm glad to see so many checking in. Looking at the pictures is so very hard.

I imagine this will be like Katrina where they will have the semi-trucks out at the grocery store to load up with donations and we'll end up doing what we did then: buy something for us and throw an item in the other cart for donation. What else can you do? You can't not do anything, and there will be so many who will need anything that someone can spare.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Very kind of you to post this.

I know all Texans will rise above this.

edit on 28-8-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
a reply to: butcherguy

The first two things I thought of when I saw Harvey headed for Texas were the Galveston hurricane and the biological research facilities along the Texas coast. I hope those facilities are well secured.

That being said, if anyone can handle a major storm it's Texans. I'll bet they are going to show the rest of the US how it's done. You're going to see people rise up to the challenge and make us all proud to call them Americans.

video.foxnews.com...=show-clips

I can't embed videos easily from my phone, but here is a man catching a fish inside his own flooded home. And that is how we Texans do catastrophes.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Chromium51

originally posted by: butcherguy
First, a star and a flag.
I hope the best for everyone affected down there.

I do have a problem with the media calling it a 'thousand year storm' though.

The 1900 Galveston Hurricane killed between 6,000 and 12,000 people. There was a storm surge of 15 feet associated with that Category 4 storm.

If this is a thousand year storm, what was that storm that happened in 1900?

While Galveston was aweful, they're likely talking about the amount of rain that's falling. Some places may see 60 inches or 5 feet of rain total. Galveston had a massive loss of live because of the storm surge of 15 feet when the highest point in all of Galveston at the time was less than 9 feet above sea level.

I still wonder how they can accurately say that this amount of flooding comes only once in a thousand years. If we go back 500 years, how many flooding storms hit North America for that particular year? How many inches of rain fell on any spot during those storms.
There are no records.
I hear you, man. They've been calling them 500 year / 1000 year floods all over the country for a few years now. Frankly, I agree with you. With what records do they base this? I think it's just to add hype to climate change. Don't get me wrong because climate chanhe is happening. That's just ehat the planet does. Are humans the cause of this round of climate change? I don't know, but it eould happen one way or another regardless.

Coming at you from east Texas.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Very kind of you to post this.

I know all Texans will rise above this.

I think most will be ok.

Wife is from down there and all her family are safe.

Maybe a little bored. Picture of the road her dad lives on.

Stay safe down there, ain't nothing keeping a Texan down !

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
a reply to: butcherguy

The first two things I thought of when I saw Harvey headed for Texas were the Galveston hurricane and the biological research facilities along the Texas coast. I hope those facilities are well secured.

That being said, if anyone can handle a major storm it's Texans. I'll bet they are going to show the rest of the US how it's done. You're going to see people rise up to the challenge and make us all proud to call them Americans.

video.foxnews.com...=show-clips

I can't embed videos easily from my phone, but here is a man catching a fish inside his own flooded home. And that is how we Texans do catastrophes.

Love it! Go Texas!

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I'm glad to see so many checking in. Looking at the pictures is so very hard.

I imagine this will be like Katrina where they will have the semi-trucks out at the grocery store to load up with donations and we'll end up doing what we did then: buy something for us and throw an item in the other cart for donation. What else can you do? You can't not do anything, and there will be so many who will need anything that someone can spare.

That's a good idea. I think of dry clothes and shelter, but food hadn't occurred to me. (Duh).

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I'm a Texan, born and raised in the panhandle and still have the family farm [leased]. But live in the high desert Rockies.

But my friends in Rockport lost everything, My Austin friends have 1ft of water in their house,
and I haven't heard anything from my people in Houston, I pray they are ok!

Me too, Ol.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Glad to see people checking in. My heart goes out to those of you who know folks who lost everything or have not been heard from yet.

People will pull together and do all that they can. Thoughts and prayers for our members and everyone else affected.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'm high and dry...kind of.
I think I got fired today because I refused to drive.
It was the right decision.
I would be swimming home otherwise.
I have 3 half gallons of whiskey and friends to indulge with.
We will persevere.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join