It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Our Texas Members

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss
My husband and I live in Houston but last weekend had a family reunion in New York State so we missed the hurricane!

Now we can't get back home.

Hope our car is still ok at IAH

Here's the status .....

www.airport-houston.com...

Good luck...

My friends in Rockport have nothing to return to...no house, no boat, no car....nothing.
edit on 29-8-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Chromium51>>>> They don't distinguish it from being a "Monster Storm" and from a bad storm that hit at the worst possible time and had other factors that made it far worse. It was the high pressure that made it park over Houston and dump all that rain while it remained stationary. That's different from it being a " Monster Storm". They're politicizing this in an effort to keep pushing global warming which is callous in the extreme.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Stay safe texas members. You have our prayers and our love. If there is anything we can do to help, let us know.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TXTriker

On an ordinary basis its not horrible. Just when it rains, which seems to be mostly.

People have been flocking to Houston because of the wide diversity of jobs available. Used to be Houston's ecnomy was nearly all oil & gas and shipping. But now, the economy is widely diversified into a multitude of other industries and services.

The subsidence is a function of ground water removal. They have tried to abate that, but it is too little too late. What would be cool is if they could somehow pump water back into the ground and reflate the subsurface strata and raise the city.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Houston here.

Make it through dry, with power and internet (minus as few hiccups)

Was able to work from home, so didn't miss any work, which is good since I provide remote-tech support to many emergency companies. Has been a crazy week.

No water in my place, but I did feel like I was on an island. Some of my family did have to evacuate though, because of rising floodwaters, but so far no reports of any getting into their homes (people and animals all safe).

I've lived here all my life, been through man a hurricane and tropical storm/depression, so me and mine were all prepared for the worst from the get go, the moment the news said 'well we'll get some rain'. We hit all the stores early for storeable food, water and other supplies.

But I do need to get a generator...I can live without power and all that for the most part, but the heat and humidity are killers when you try an sleep lol.

Hope we don't get more of these though, the rain won't have anywhere to go as everything is over saturated and over filled with water.

Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers, good wishes and good energy directed our way.

To everyone else here and affected by the flood - our thoughts are with you as well.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Please know we are concerned and hoping for the best possible outcome. And we are worried. They are calling it the "Thousand Year Flood".

Try to check in and let us know how you are. I know BFFT, SeentooMuch, and there are many other Texas members. Also it appears Louisiana is targeted by this nightmare too, so KJ and others, let us know how you are doing.

Oh how I wish I had a big fleet of boats and man power and could come and make rescues! At times like this I feel so helpless.

I want you to know we are concerned, and we do care.

liw

Thanks for your concern, Ladyinwaiting, it's great to see you again and your well wishes are truly appreciated. It's been crazy for my family and friends I hope all is well with you. I live in Austin and we had 20 something inches of rain and it would've continued until it shifted to Houston . . . . and now I swear to never be without a boat for the rest of my life (Amazon just delivered it, holds four people, can hold over 800 lbs, flat bottomed and I think my step Dad, my Golden Retriever, his Dachshund (evil little dog), Tyger, my tortie cat and I can fit okay plus some belongings. The Fedex guy put it in my garage along with life preservers)

Most of my family lives in Fort Bend County, which is part of Houston nowadays (sister, brother, his family in different houses, and friends). I called them all before the worst of it and warned them but they said they felt safe where they were. All ended up being trapped by water at various times depending on the neighborhood. Thank God they're safe now, no one was hurt and no one lost their home, cars yes, but homes were just barely above the flood line, and most important they're all safe, thank you, Lord!

Anyhow, I officially have PTSD after this, I spent every night when the rains would be heavier during the hurricane watching Jim Spencer our local weather expert on KXAN come on Facebook live and explain the situation. He's older, and he has 27 years experience with our weather and he put a cot in the newsroom and even though someone else was assigned to update after midnight he would barge into the shot around 2 or 3 in the morning and have a major meltdown saying no one has seen this happen before and that it didn't make sense that it did happen according to the original depression forecast.

Hence the boat, it makes me feel better, I'll never be without one after this, I might even sit in it in my living room every time a hurricane is in the Gulf. And *hint* my Christmas gift list is very simple for everyone, it floats.

We're in interesting times, for sure,

Thanks again for caring for us everyone,

STM
edit on 31-8-2017 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seentoomuch

It's good to know you are alright! I know this must be so frustrating and frightening at times, not knowing when it will stop. When one of the other posters was saying he would move away, I was thinking I wouldn't move, but I sure as heck would buy a boat!

I'm so glad you did that, and the Christmas gifts will be so much appreciated! You're on top of it STM! Glad to hear you and all the furry critters are hanging in there. Be dry!

liw

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

My husband and I live in Houston but last weekend had a family reunion in New York State so we missed the hurricane!

Here's the status .....

www.airport-houston.com...

Good luck...

My friends in Rockport have nothing to return to...no house, no boat, no car....nothing.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I was hoping to find an update from you. Have you heard anything yet about your properties, and loved-ones?

I can't believe it's Thursday and rescues are still underway. When you have a city the size of Houston, well.... that's a whole lot of people. And the clean up is going to be massive. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you, and I hope the car is still at the airport and drivable. Take care, MRuss.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXTriker

originally posted by: TonyS

Sorry, not bashing the city. Used to love it there. But truthfully and in the exact sense, IT'S SINKING! Every year the flood threat worsens and widens. If employers cared about their staff, they'd relocate to higher ground, Huntsville of San Antonio. At this rate, Houston is going to be Venice!

We got as much as 40" of rain in some areas in about 48 hours! Tell me anywhere in the world that could handle that much water without flooding.

I understand if this isn't the city for you but stop trying to lay blame on anyone but Mother Nature for this one.

Is the city sinking -probably due to the removal of ground water and development. If it is such a horrible place why are so many moving here. Surely there are jobs in other areas that are better places to live.

Good Lord. Please let us know how you are. And you're right, any location would be in trouble with that amount of water. When we get a 'flash flood" it's around two inches, and the news is screaming not to drive in it. I can't even imagine.....

Take care TX.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXTriker

originally posted by: TonyS

Sorry, not bashing the city. Used to love it there. But truthfully and in the exact sense, IT'S SINKING! Every year the flood threat worsens and widens. If employers cared about their staff, they'd relocate to higher ground, Huntsville of San Antonio. At this rate, Houston is going to be Venice!

We got as much as 40" of rain in some areas in about 48 hours! Tell me anywhere in the world that could handle that much water without flooding.

I understand if this isn't the city for you but stop trying to lay blame on anyone but Mother Nature for this one.

Is the city sinking -probably due to the removal of ground water and development. If it is such a horrible place why are so many moving here. Surely there are jobs in other areas that are better places to live.

Good Lord. Please let us know how you are. And you're right, any location would be in trouble with that amount of water. When we get a 'flash flood" it's around two inches, and the news is screaming not to drive in it. I can't even imagine.....

Take care TX.

Not sure how much we got here specifically but it was at least 20". We are fine - no flooding. Had some trouble getting in and out of our small town and stupidly tried to go to Katy on I-10. Turned into quite the adventure I must say but we made it home safe and sound after driving the wrong way on the interstate and having to turn around and then go the wrong way on the exit ramp to get back on the freeway going the correct way.

I would like to ask for prayers for a friend's family. He disappeared Monday night/Tuesday morning and is believed to have been swept away in flood waters. Mind you, this was at least 60 miles from Houston and was on a small creek that normally flows under the road. A couple of us went out today to take food, water and machetes. The creek bank has very thick underbrush. This is a small barely two vehicle wide road. They've been searching for three days and have found a cap, a small shirt(not his) and a watch (not sure it it was his). No other sign has been found yet. The creek was most likely about 15' deep and roaring. It was dark and it appears that his vehicle stalled and for some reason he got out. The vehicle was still where it stalled and it was found sometime after daylight Tuesday with the keys in it. There was an old tree stump about 4 ft long and at least as big as a telephone pole but probably bigger. It was stuck in a tree about 15 or so feet high. That's why I think the creek was that high, it could have even been higher. His father, stepmother, step sister, friends, cousins and the sheriff and game warden were there today. We were there for about 3 hours and when we left about 20 vehicles more had come in to try and help find him. I can tell you, they do not expect to find him alive. They are pretty much resigned to that fact but would like to find him for closure. Prayers for them and to help them find him would be most appreciated.

This is just another example of how wide spread the flooding has been - 60 miles from Houston.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Oh no. I hope you can cut back on the 'adventures', but I know it's difficult when you see people needing help.
I will pray for your friend's son, and I also prayed that he will be found alive.

Bless you Tx.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
My heart just breaks when I see people are missing and haven't been heard from or found anywhere. Still praying for everyone. This so tragic!

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

That is so very sad Olaru.
Massive losses.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I will keep your friend's family in my thoughts and prayers.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Good lord, the price gouging has begun. $8.50 for a bottle of water. The feds need to get that water moving in!

$6-8 dollars a gallon for gas.

Ugh. I really despise this kind of greed.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Now they are debating money. We need to do whatever we need to do to put Houston back together again.
We can't let that great city die!

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Good lord, the price gouging has begun. $8.50 for a bottle of water. The feds need to get that water moving in!

There is no excuse for this crap! That people can be so greedy for a buck before thinking of their fellow man enrages me!

edit on 1-9-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

This is very limited. Most of the business are caring people and aren't gouging. Those that are, are being exposed on facebook and hopefully reported to the Texas Attorney General.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star and Lady in Waiting:

The family has suspended their search. Hopefully now the authorities will step in and find the body so they can have closure.

On a personal note, if he is gone he is now with one of his best friend's - our son. We lost him in 2002. Heaven will think it has turned into hell with those two together

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join