It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with Music copyright and You-Tube, I'm a DJ and having trouble ???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: theTonyStevenson
once again YouTube has control... the fight continues lol

If you still have servicing sheets, let Youtube know.

If we don't stand up, we can't be counted.

I wonder how youtube is going to act now that Sony has begun pressing and servicing again?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: theTonyStevenson

I understand your frustrations but you tube is protecting their interest as they get served to remove material everyday I am sure. It doesn't matter if it's 4 seconds or 4 minutes of a song it's still a violation.

As far as the question asked, I really don't have that much knowledge of the legalities just trying to help. I just play the songs and spout a bunch of B'S most times. I do know that we use to have to supply a sheet to each of the song and artist guild's I already mentioned each year detailing each song and artist that was played and the approximate times it was played in order to meet the license agreements. I don't spend much time in the studio nor the office anymore since most everything is prerecorded now days digitally and most of my voice work for commercials I do at home on Pro Tools. I pay for a license for both music and sound effects libraries so I do not have any issues.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

As far as the question asked, I really don't have that much knowledge of the legalities just trying to help. I just play the songs and spout a bunch of B'S most times. I do know that we use to have to supply a sheet to each of the song and artist guild's I already mentioned each year detailing each song and artist that was played and the approximate times it was played in order to meet the license agreements. I don't spend much time in the studio nor the office anymore since most everything is prerecorded now days digitally and most of my voice work for commercials I do at home on Pro Tools. I pay for a license for both music and sound effects libraries so I do not have any issues.

Indeed. You have never been serviced. There are no RIAA stats on DJ MSN in the database. Not even 1 run sheet submitted.

Kim Kardashian got burnt yesterday for speaking up on a topic, which she had no knowkedge of. You're lucky you don't have millions of followers to clown you.

Point being: how can you help with something you've never experienced? An aspiring young DJ could actually believe your uneducated guess.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yes they do check. It may take time for them to find you but eventually they will and they do not hesitate to make the offender pay. A radio station I worked for had the slogan "listen while you work" and I often wondered how many got into trouble for it.

It use to be based upon how many radios you had in public, more than 7 got you into trouble I think, but any sort of PA playing would really get you into trouble. I have not heard of the radio police in a long time but they are still out there somewhere.

Did have a recent FCC compliance visit recently but that is more technical and administrative than anything else unless you have had complaints, usually for sexual innuendo or for gratuitous cursing for which they can and do fine both the license holders and individuals and the fines can start at 10 grand per violation but rarely enforced now days

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: shefskitchen

I use my real name and several variations on air and have never used my ATS moniker for work. I don't have a need to deal with license requirements since I work for an FCC license holder and who also pays for the licence performance fees to the various guilds.

You have missed the whole point that just because you think you have the rights and you may have that those rights do not apply to you tube whom would be the actual distributor of the stolen material and places them in direct violation of their various agreements.

As of right now, despite your beliefs, record companies own the promotional copies they send out. Universal is currently in litigation against an individual who was reselling promotional copies on EBay. They may not win as there are no provisions in copy right law that prohibits resell of rights but for public performance or distribution of any copy righted material you must pay and if you have those rights it would not extend to you tube as they may not have the same rights but good luck and a real DO does not steal people's work for their own gain

And a service sheet asking you to play a song authorizes you to play a song in a public performance such as a radio station or club already licensed for such performance not DISTRIBUTION rights for motorized gain which is exactly what you are doing by placing it on you tube. The RIAA is largely a certification service for sales related to music but they are ardent copyright protectors of their members. They have sued individuals for sharing as few as 10 songs and usually give a chance to settle with a 750 dollar fee but also have a 3 strikes agreement with ISP companies, continue to violate copyright laws by using peer to peer services like you tube and they will cut off your internet access. You tube will delete your account long before it comes to that though so again best of luck in your intellectual theft endeavors and remember that public performance authorization is a whole different ball game from the distribution of property
edit on 8/16/2017 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

You have gone overboard with your pathological responses, sir.

You do not know terms of service as it applies to vinyl servicing. You have not mentioned one fact yet. I am reading an mp3j, with his

No broadcast tools were Pro Tools compliant until 2015 (unless you're college/ public access- which would further disqualify you). Had you mentioned Sadie, Sequoia, Pyramix or any other broadcast CMS compliant DAW..... Broadcasting since the 80's?

The fact that you pay licenses for soundtracks means you are the broadcaster and not employed by a radio station. Again, points to college or public access radio.

You have no idea what you are talking about, outside of what you may have read.

I feel for the kids that believe your lies. My participation won't stop you, so I'll leave and let you continue to lie.

I'd say "see you in the VIP", but you'd have to pay to get in.......

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Maybe it's the type of YouTube account you have? I have remixes, songs with different artists on my channel and it monetizes the song and pays the artist from it.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: shefskitchen

You don't understand what I do. I do voice over work from home using Pro Tools and yes because I use sound effects and backing music which is largely royalty free, yes I pay a service which licenses it for commercial use to me. I do not use others music in the manner you do so I have no need for those products you mentioned. I use my voice to make money you are taking someone else's work and using it without paying for it nor giving them credit and monetizing it without providing a way for the artist writers nor the record labels to earn the royalties they are due, in others words plain theft.

I spent the majority of my career using a grease pencil and razor blade to make edits on reel to reel tape not digital products which are available today. I started my radio career when the FCC required an operator's license in the studio with you and when you were required to monitor transmitter reading hourly. It is indeed a recent invention as the digital environment which makes it easier but Pro Tools has been on the market since 1989 from Avid.

I believe the first digital system I worked with was in the early 90,s while in the Air Force while working for AFRTS and was actually a digital editing suit for the television side, otherwise the first system I worked with was RCS system which was touch screen and handled both the digital music library and allowed for uploading commercials from reel to reel tape which was a pain in the rear.

I have worked in major markets, medium markets as well as small markets and have managed a career since 1984 when I started working in commercial radio while still a freshman in high school, sadly the whole industry has changed for the worse since then but I am sure you know all about that with your vast expierance.

As far as something being "broadcast complaiant" I can and could run any audio source thru a mixing console and record it on tape or thru whatever proprietary format the machine wanted. Reel to reel tape records anything still today and in my opinion still sounds better than any digital format out there. Sound was and still is broadcast compliant and you can save a product in any format and email to the client who can then use it however they wish with any digital product out there to include pro tools, Adobe, abacus or the plethora of digital products available, sound is all that is required for broadcast and a transmitter.

And EVERY radio station be they over the airwaves on the FCC assigned frequency or be they an internet radio station pays for the right to play every piece of music you hear. Just because someone sends me a vinyl record doesn't mean I can play it over the Air, the very reason they sent it is that the radio station paid the for the license to play it. Clubs pay for a license to play music, if they don't they will be paying a lot more when caught. As I pointed out in an earlier post, carwashes, offices, or a lemonade stand that plays a radio loud enough that the public can hear it is subject to paying royalties to every artist through SESAC, ASCAP, BMI or another royalty service out there.

And I have never measured my audience by the number of "followers" I have. The radio stations I have worked for through the years pay a service to do it called Neilsen does that, and I would put my numbers up but you have to pay them in order to quote them, something about copyright laws, darn things are always getting in the way. I guess they want to get paid just like everybody else.
You need to read about you tube and the services they offer as there are ways to do what you want to do, but as soon as you monetize someone else's work, funny thing they want to get paid for it too. If they agree to your use of their work then you tube allows it and puts commercial ads in the video and the artist get a royalty but public performance permission in a licensed club is a lot different from putting something on the internet. Good luck to you as sooner or later theft will catch up to you

edit on 8/16/2017 by DJMSN because: Addition

edit on 8/16/2017 by DJMSN because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/16/2017 by DJMSN because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

ive noticed that , I just a regular tuber

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
By the way if anyone wants a listen loool www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Yes it does... Then I get royalties. Thank you.

MS
Copyright Holder
Music

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

PS I got $20k for 1 song in The Sopranos and $15k for 2 movies. Everytime they come on.. I hear them. Paid once... and they'll be there forever... I don't care.. I'm paid

top topics

<< 1   >>

join