It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians Are Nearly Twice As Likely To Be Depressed As Meat-Eaters, Study Finds

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
the only people meaner than a vegan is a feminist lmfao.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: WorShip

You do realize we kill things to live, right?

Plants must die for a salad.

Animals must die for a steak.

I would much rather eat 3d printed meat if it were ready for prime time. It isn't. So I eat real live (dead) animals and real live (dead) veggy's.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I find it funny those who say vegetarians are more evolved than meat eaters. Hello, veggie-heads, you eat plants, they are ALIVE, just as much as animals are ALIVE. You are killing a living being to eat just as much as meat eaters are. You aren't more evolved, just more deluded.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Actually without using man made supplements or actually eating some kind of animal product or insect, a human could not survive. Even herbivores would die without the insects they eat.

I think you're carrying it to the point of ridiculous by calling meat eaters sociopaths. Maybe you're playing the devils advocate or just arguing for giggles?

Wild game is also healthier, so to call hunters brutish is a bit much, don't you think. The small minority of people who eat no meat are actually the outliers. I can't help but think many just do it for attention, as is the case for other behavior that is outside the norm.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

yes...yes.....I will feed him VERY well *mwahahahahaha*

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Willtell

Have you ever had beef tongue. Sounds bad but is fabulous.

I know you weren't replying to me, but I've tried it. It's one of a few things I don't like purely because of the texture. Tastes nice, but the way it feels just makes me gag.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

True, the texture is kinda odd. I made beef jerky out of it, it did not last in the fridge but for a day or 2.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

There is a street taco crew that comes to a local butcher shop on Saturdays. Their lengua tacos are to die for! They also have some really good hog maw too.

We've done beef tongue at home. You can take the skin off of it if you do it right. Then you break it down into cubes. That helps with the texture issues. Our son loves it. The only thing that keeps us from eating it more often is the cost. It's pretty expensive.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I often wonder why it is so expensive, no one I know eats it.

Vegetarians have no idea what they are missing.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

We used to chat regularly with the butcher at our local grocery. Being an older dude of Polish background, he used to order in a variety of organ meats, and he used to order in beef tongue. He said he the Hispanic population was big into it. He knew of one lady who would always come in a buy no fewer than three tongues at a time.

By contrast, we were one of the few white couples who would buy organ meats with any regularity. I'm not so far off my farm roots, so I grew up eating a larger variety of them than most people. I passed that on to my husband and now our kiddo.

And the butcher shop I mention draws everyone from the suburban yuppies to the ethnic crew of two or three different backgrounds. You get the competition BBQ guy haggling for cuts next to the old black lady asking for lamb shanks with some meat on 'em!

It's where I get the suet for Christmas pudding and pretty much any cut of any size I might need. If an animal has an organ and it can be eaten, you can pretty much get it there.
edit on 10-8-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sounds like a nice place.

We usually buy a 1/2 cow and we talk to the guy who puts the 22LR in it's head. We can get any part that we want, and the tongue, heart and liver is always ordered.
edit on 10-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: Pearj
Another bogus study brought to you be the meat industry.

What's the link between Bristol University and the meat industry?

I really doubt that when an industry wants a report in their favor it is on the books. That kind of thing clearly does go on.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I did the whole Vegan thing for a few months, just to try it out. I was tired and lethargic a lot. Maybe it was a B12 thing. In the end, it just wasn't for me.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

i already knew :

BACON MAKES ME HAPPI

i could have saed them a lot of time and effort

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Actually without using man made supplements or actually eating some kind of animal product or insect, a human could not survive. Even herbivores would die without the insects they eat.

I think you're carrying it to the point of ridiculous by calling meat eaters sociopaths. Maybe you're playing the devils advocate or just arguing for giggles?

Wild game is also healthier, so to call hunters brutish is a bit much, don't you think. The small minority of people who eat no meat are actually the outliers. I can't help but think many just do it for attention, as is the case for other behavior that is outside the norm.

Well not if you eat a little dirt, just don't wash the veggies.

If you don’t want to eat dirt like animals do, you can take a B12 supplement.”

In 2009,the American Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics, the U.S.’s oldest, largest and foremost authority on diet and nutrition, also recognized that humans have no inherent biological or nutritional need for animal products: “It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.”

And in 2016, a major study conducted by Oxford University researchers modeled four different global dietary scenarios and found that by 2050, widespread adoption of plant-based diets could avert 8.1 million premature human deaths every year. The study was the first to estimate both the health and climate impacts of a shift toward more plant-based diets for all major world regions, and also concluded that global adoption of such a diet would reduce greenhouse gas emissions by two thirds, and lead to healthcare-related savings and avoided climate damages of $1.5 trillion (US).

In 2013, leading U.S. health care provider Kaiser Permanente, with more than 9 million health insurance subscribers, published an article in its medical science journal recommending that physicians consider recommending a plant-based diet for all their patients. The article notes, “Healthy eating may be best achieved with a plant-based diet, which we define as a regimen that encourages whole, plant-based foods and discourages meats, dairy products, and eggs as well as all refined and processed foods … Physicians should consider recommending a plant-based diet to all their patients, especially those with high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or obesity.”

freefromharm.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
a reply to: Willtell

Incisors.
Molars.

Yes, humans are designed to eat meat....and plants. We are and have been omnivores for a few million years now.

Consuming animal protein has also been linked to cancer of the colon, breast, prostate, and pancreas. According to Dr. T. Colin Campbell, the director of the Cornell-China-Oxford Project on Nutrition, Health, and the Environment, “In the next ten years, one of the things you’re bound to hear is that animal protein … is one of the most toxic nutrients of all that can be considered.” Eating meat can also have negative consequences for stamina and sexual potency. One Danish study indicated that “Men peddling on a stationary bicycle until muscle failure lasted an average of 114 minutes on a mixed meat and vegetable diet, 57 minutes on a high-meat diet, and a whopping 167 minutes on a strict vegetarian diet.”Besides having increased physical endurance, vegan men are also less likely to suffer from impotence.

mindfullybliss.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Well that makes sense being a vegetarian would depress me. In fact nothing like a two inch thick stake.

Would that stake be through the heart perhaps

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Just like to point out a lot of Americans raise their own animals for food, we know what goes in it, treat them right and put them down as quickly as possible when that time comes.

I have no issue with some one that wants to be a vegetarian or a vegan, I know a few people that have an allergy to something in most meats, others due it for health reasons.

When it comes down to it, whatever makes you happy.

80.7 percent In 2010, a total of 80.7 percent of Americans lived in urban areas

www.reuters.com/article/usa-cities-population-idUSL2E8EQ5AJ20120326

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

One can be really healthy as a vegetarian, but it takes a lot more work and nutritional education/discipline, which many of them don't practice. So that doesn't rule our nutritional deficiencies.

I tend to lean towards the idea that many people who pursue alternative lifestyles sometimes do so because they also are struggling or questioning society generally (which can be good), but also experiencing related depression or maladjustment, to the final point in your op.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ah, now, that's not very nice, Darth Mason...

Never said I didn't like bacon, I said it was over-rated... That's not the same as not liking it.

May the Bacon be crispy on your plate.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join