It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegetarians Are Nearly Twice As Likely To Be Depressed As Meat-Eaters, Study Finds

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
If you are a vegetarian, a study says you are more prone to being depressed.

Vegetarians are almost twice as likely to suffer from depression as those who consume a conventional balanced diet, according to a new study.

The new Bristol University study of almost 10,000 from southwestern England found that vegetarians were more likely to develop depression due to vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can negatively impact their mental health.
philadelphia.cbslocal.com...

The old B12 deficiency could be the culprit. Vegetarians also eat foods that are high in omega 6. Omega 6 has been linked to an increase in mental problems.

The 350 committed vegetarians who participated in the study had a higher average depression score when compared to the meat-eaters, according to the study, which was published in the Journal of Affective Disorders.

The vegetarians’ diet tended to feature lower vitamin B12 consumption, as well as greater intake of nuts that contain omega-6 fatty acids, which have been linked with an increased risk of mental health problems.

A diet rich in soya and vegetables is another factor that would be leading to vegetarians having mental problems. Not getting your seafood is also a factor that could be contributing to this very wide spread problem....

“Other potential factors include high blood levels of phytoestrogens – consequent mainly on diets rich in vegetables and soya,” the report says. “Another potential contributing factor is that lower intakes of seafood are thought to be associated with greater risk of depressive symptoms.”

Oh, the depression could have nothing to do with diet though... The decision to go vegetarian could have been made because of depression. What?

But the researchers did not rule out the possibility that the vegetarians’ decisions to adopt their diet could have been a symptom of depression from the start.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
so free prozac with veggie burgers?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'd be depressed too if I didn't eat meat. It's too yummy!

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'd be depressed too if I didn't eat meat.

Seriously. There aren't enough anti-depressants in the world to make up for not eating bacon.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I know. It's like an anti-depressant in itself. You just look at it and you feel all is right with the world. Then you taste it and you know it. MMMMMM. Bacon.... *drools*

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's anectodal on my part, but I'm not surprised after seeing many vegetarian (and vegan) friends of mine grapple with some pretty severe depression that the omnivore friends don't have to such an extent. We used to poke them with "You'd be happier if you ate meat" jabs, and in hindsight, it may have had some truth to it. Still was mean of us also in hindsight though, making fun of depression is a dick thing to do

edit on 8/10/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Meat and animal products are linked to cancer, diabetes and heart diseases.
Tough choice... live long and suffer from depression, or die young and horrible.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
Tough choice... live long and suffer from depression, or die young and horrible.

No choice at all, a life without bacon is like a life without sunshine.

link   
I know I'm seldom sad while devouring a big juicy steak.

Mmmmmmm steak.

+2 more 
link   

Oh, the depression could have nothing to do with diet though... The decision to go vegetarian could have been made because of depression. What? But the researchers did not rule out the possibility that the vegetarians’ decisions to adopt their diet could have been a symptom of depression from the start.

Bs ALERT WARNING WARNING Bs ALERT...

They didn't rule out the possibility that the reason to not eat slaughtered animals was because of depression...

But they did rule out the possability that vegetarians have a more evolved sense of empathy for the feelings of other sentient beings, and are by nature more likely to struggle with emotions given the levels of suffering there is in this world.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Actually so is making fun of vegetarianism...

The fact is by your dietary choices alone you are potentially saving the lives of dozens of animals throughout your life, perhaps hundreds if you include chicken and fish..
edit on 10-8-2017 by 0racle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0racle

Oh, the depression could have nothing to do with diet though... The decision to go vegetarian could have been made because of depression. What? But the researchers did not rule out the possibility that the vegetarians’ decisions to adopt their diet could have been a symptom of depression from the start.

They didn't rule out the possibility that the reason to not eat slaughtered animals was because of depression...

But they did rule out the possability that vegetarians have a more evolved sense of empathy for the feelings of other sentient beings, and are by nature more likely to struggle with emotions given the levels of suffering there is in this world.

Vegetarians having a more evolved sense of empathy not eating meat?

Like pro-lifers have one too?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

edit on 10-8-2017 by eisegesis because: haunted by dead animals

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

And all the free antibiotics and hormones you get with it, the pollution and the cruelty... Sorry but it's just irresponsible and humans are frugivore not omnivore. We started hunting when we had to survive the ice age but were never meant to eat dairy and meat.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

And all the free antibiotics and hormones you get with it, the pollution and the cruelty...

Are you assuming I am eating meat that has hormones and antibiotics?

We started hunting when we had to survive the ice age but were never meant to eat dairy and meat.

That's a bedtime story vegetarians tell themselves, humans are omnivores, and omni means everything.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Have you ever been pregnant?

I dont think so...

Have you ever made a woman pregnant?

Likewise...

Have you ever been friends with an animal?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Are you saying you only eat happy pigs roaming five acres before they get shot just for you? Otherwise you do.

Human diet is originally plants and insects.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 0racle

I gotta say that I don't have a problem with people being vegetarians. If you want to be vegetarian, do you, but don't expect to change my mind as far as eating meat goes. I'm not lying when I say I love it.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

originally posted by: 0racle

Vegetarians having a more evolved sense of empathy not eating meat?

Like pro-lifers have one too?

Ummm....but...but...but...how dare you discredit your selective moral equivalency...by pointing out my selective moral equivalency...

Like matter and antimatter...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

And all the free antibiotics and hormones you get with it, the pollution and the cruelty... Sorry but it's just irresponsible and humans are frugivore not omnivore. We started hunting when we had to survive the ice age but were never meant to eat dairy and meat.

Don't for get about eating each other.

Engraved Bones Reveal Cannibal Rituals 15,000 Years Ago
www.yahoo.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join