It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How strongly are you held by your percieved reality?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

30 years ago I would of said you were insane and needed mental health services,but now I would have to say it wouldn't suprise me in the least

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
All BS aside?

Seriously

If someone/something was able to debunk your whole reality and or belief system all at once. How ready are you willing to accept if everything you've spent your whole life believing in came crumbling down both in Faith and Science how would you react?

Honest question

I'd say we see the results in those that never development a belief or faith system to begin with. Believe in nothing, have faith in nothing.

The rest of us? We create our own traps...then spend the rest of the time making those traps more 'comfortable'.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: growler

You think so? My view of how it all works already takes that possibility into account. It had to since any reasonably intelligent person knows it's a possibility.

If God created Creation, then the universe is part of creation and so is everything in it ... including any little green men.

It's your perceptions of the religious in this case that is limiting you, and some of the religious do limit themselves, but not all of us and maybe less of us than you may think.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
My own paradigms have been scrambled a few times. Amassing data does that.

I basically became a relativist... a doubting Thomas to most everything... although I don't discount anything, completely, either.

I try to keep a door cracked on every possibility regarding this thing I/we call consciousness and it's environs. It's difficult, as we seem to need a framework on which to hang our perceptions.

Ultimately, Solipsism is real, at least in a sense... but I sure hope there is an "other" out/in there!

edit on 8/10/2017 by Baddogma because: fix

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Fine with it. I would probably go on without skipping a beat.

If my family was not real, I may take a second.

Then.....

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
"Everything?" As far as reality,I can't think of anything that would do that aside from a Matrix style realization or simulated reality theory being proved. Either one would be unsettling for sure. Now in general, a big shattering of my belief system has happened a couple of times regarding faith and potential deeds from government(s)/official(s). Truly unsettling but I got through it and it became like shedded skin.

Ready? Well nothing would truly surprise me these days I feel and as to the "how would I handle it," I would reflect on the Buddhist idea of impermanence, set aside my pride and ego for a moment and try to make the best of the newfound realization I suppose, best I could. It would depend on whether the revelation was positive or negative as well, but the humbling effect of either could be liberating or imprisoning and my attitude would help determine that.

This thread made me think of this little story a fellow member posted yesterday that may be of value here.

You're Not Going To Believe What I'm About To Tell You

edit on 4amf31381031 by waftist because: add link

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Probably end up all shriveled up in a dark corner, cryong about it, muttering repeatedly like it was mantra, while I waste away like a mad man while time flies by.

edit on 10-8-2017 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
With discoveries in quantum physics it seems that reality is a very subjective thing based off our perception.

If this is all a brain made simulation based of our senses then I feel like I must constantly question reality.

maybe it's best left with a quote from the late great Philip K dick.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”

Also some thoughts from RAW.

Is the life of roy real?

edit on 10-8-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   
If it we proved to me the world wasn't run by satanic pedofiles i would be surprised.

If you proved to me our money systems are fair i would be really surprised.

If you proved to me that FBI and police aren't run by ciminal organizations i would be surprised.

If it was proved to me the medical industry, food industry, and scientific community isnt destroying peoples health and lying to everyone on purpose i would be surprised.

If you were to prove to me the universe isnt electric in nature id be surprised.

If you proved to me jesus was a real person i would be surprised.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I wouldn't miss the chance. We are all on this planet without a clue or guidance, so we have just made it up as we go. I've spent so much time trying to differentiate between what I actually believe and what has been hammered in to the point where I believe it's what I feel naturally. I have switched religions so many times that I gave up because i realise that the mind will believe what it wants, whether it be logical or not. Nothing is true, nothing is false. It all comes down to perception. I would love to know what actually "is", even if it were a truth so horrifying that it would cause everything to crumble. At least then I would finally have a solid truth.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

I welcome it, I just need proof, or at least a more convincing argument.

The bible is not, and will never be proof nor a more convincing argument, however science is broaching areas that create uncertainty in what I believe which is very exciting and very scary.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
All BS aside?

Seriously

If someone/something was able to debunk your whole reality and or belief system all at once. How ready are you willing to accept if everything you've spent your whole life believing in came crumbling down both in Faith and Science how would you react?

Honest question

I have experienced this numerous times throughout life! How can we not?
I would add that anyone who doesn't, just isn't paying attention! *__-

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Schizoaffective here.

I've had my worldview shattered so many times it's unreal.

But I keep fighting and rebuilding it back to my comfort zone.

It's a living.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I would question how they know and if they have a similar explanation of their reality also that can be explained to me and where we/I fit in within it...

Interesting question SLAYER69

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

If I was the student Id want the teacher to teach me everything there is to know...
If I was the teacher Id want to keep some things to myself.

Its in the grey area where mysteries are solved

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Who would even be an authority to you or me? There isn't a person or source I would believe at this point.

Extraordinary claims require indisputable evidence and proof.

That kind of proof is extremely dangerous in this world.

However, if that incontrovertible proof was presented to you, here or anywhere the source would not matter. Except to those seeking to exploit the source and have the ability to locate it.

edit on 10-11-2017 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Sure ,I want the facts alone.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The five stages of grief would likely ensue:

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance. Although, not necessarily in that order.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I've already done it to myself and it wasn't all that bad

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Welcome back!!

Faith is very personal. I would never impose my view over another. I do not see myself as god (little g).

Don’t try to have faith. Just know that people love you and want the best for you. Even people you barely know! Faith will follow. It is the Zen of letting go.

And I will not say it won’t hurt like hell, because it does. But that is change.

You have support here! And lots of love!!

:hugs:

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join