It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How strongly are you held by your percieved reality?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
All BS aside?

Seriously

If someone/something was able to debunk your whole reality and or belief system all at once. How ready are you willing to accept if everything you've spent your whole life believing in came crumbling down both in Faith and Science how would you react?

Honest question

edit on 10-8-2017 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I used to be an active alcoholic and drug addict, my reality has been crushed a few times! Humans are pretty adaptable creatures. Sometimes reality really sucks, but today's is better than it used to be!

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Not anchored at all....I don't like this world......I want a benevolent ruler, who will teach us and change the model we labor under.....yea, that's the ticket!!
edit on 10-8-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

When I was killed at DFW airport one night working for Branniff......

I had a time change slip there with my last image locked in my eyes......and I went off peaceful feeling.....bang, new reality....picked up where left off to a degree but....
edit on 10-8-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I would be open to it.

Whatcha got?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I would be interested. Im a pessimist for the most part. If I've been believing and living a lie for so long i would be shaken. But i would find my feet and trudge on into the new unknown that had been laid before me.

Great and thought provoking question.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
All BS aside?

Seriously

If someone/something was able to debunk your whole reality and or belief system all at once. How ready are you willing to accept if everything you've spent your whole life believing in came crumbling down both in Faith and Science how would you react?

Honest question

I had some reality crushing experiences in the '90 's which threw me for such a loop, I struggled with my sanity. After many years of struggling with them, I sort of broke through into a different mentality which I can only consider freeing and empowering now -though at the time it was something close to the sensation of skydiving I guess.
I let go.

I don't know what is "real" now (or not). I only can describe what I experience and percieve, and that is all. That's enough for me. Life is simply experience in the now (and whatever I choose to make of the past and future).

Certain experiences that traumatized me before don't even faze me now. My perceptions of reality have become much more elastic and adaptable.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

No one person has ever 'debunked' everything, but time and circumstance have upturned my metaphorical apple cart several times. Have you heard of 'chapel perilous?'

You know flat pack furniture? Comes with little bags of fixings and there's always something left over. The chapel perilous thing is like accounting for extraordinary experiences by critical and magical thinking and then explaining other aspects with psychology. Even after all that, lo and behold there are bits and bobs left over that don't fit. To extend the (woeful) analogy, what one does with the left-behinds is a matter of one's approach to life. We can toss them aside, throw them away or put them in the drawer in case they have a purpose in the future. The healthiest approach is not to dwell on them at the expense of the nice furniture (reality).

I hope you are well

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   

How ready are you willing to accept if everything you've spent your whole life believing in came crumbling down both in Faith and Science how would you react?

The question is fairly broad. Most people have had their world shaken in one way or another, so answers would be based on their own experiences.

Kandinsky mentioned Chapel Perilous, so I looked it up.

Robert Anton Wilson who coined the term Chapel Perilous. This is when something happens in your life and it all begins to fit together and make sense, too much sense. Because it's coming from the exterior and it seems to either mean that you're losing your mind or you are somehow the central focus of a universal conspiracy that is leading you toward some unimaginable breakthrough.

Under those conditions, what I bolded, there is danger of slipping into solipsism.

It's hard sometimes. The question arises: Do I owe something to that vision, that dream, that experience? Does going back to the mundane mark me as disloyal? Am I condemning myself to normality when I could have had, could have been so much more?

The line that I remember for balance is from the song Eve of Destruction, "Well you can leave here for four days in space, but when you return it's the same old place."

Only writing from my own experience. I don't know if you are referring to something like this or something else.

Take care.
edit on 10-8-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
All BS aside?

Seriously

Honest question

That would depend on what was involved...

IF someone actually proved the world was flat...

I'd need a beer...

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The reaction for most of us would be shock and an intense denial.where you try to wipe it out and get back to reality, as it was prior to the revelation.

It's best to stay in the dark and just play along
Reality , as it turns out, really doesn't matter. It is whatever it is to you

Why do you ask though?

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Look at the commie Dems... Their Lalaland is in tumbling down... Daily news pouring in on how their Bama was actually a commie crook doing all sorts of evil... They are all running in circles, waving hands in the air and screaming like a pig on a bench... That is pretty close to what you are asking for.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   
being agnostic i'd welcome a snake or inflamed bush tell me there was a god, if the stars realigned to spell out jesus was real i'd be a believer after changing my pants.
not holding my breathe so will continue to trust facts and rationale.

i would enjoy religious types reactions to life being discovered even once on say mars, would they throw all religious texts out or change the goalposts again like they did with the sun, center of the universe etc, etc, etc...

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The human mind is wired to handle this kind of assault in two phases: first it gets defensive and angry, then it switches to incredulity and basically forces you to continue believing whatever it is that makes you feel safe and cozy. I've witnessed this phenomenon in situations where somebody was proven wrong in one way or another—or was dangerously close to being proven wrong—and there comes a point where you can virtually hear an iron gate slam down inside the person's head. The human brain knows that it can't handle having its entire reality turned upside down in an instant. Avoiding the long-term damage of depression is the primary objective as far as the brain is concerned; logic is secondary.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   

I'm in a perpetual state of disbelief. I don't know if I could believe anyone that told me that a thing/things/everything is only what it appears to be.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Who would even be an authority to you or me? There isn't a person or source I would believe at this point.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   

I don't really believe strongly one way or another about anything.

I'm pretty flexible with just enjoying the ride. So lets roll.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I was just watching some funny videos of Penguins on tv when a guy came on and commented on how silly and clumsy they are and how they think they are clever....... I was wondering at that point, is he talking about Penguins or Humans?

How hard is it to deal with a reality shock?...... depends on how far you've allowed yourself to sink into the sea of illusions and delusion I guess.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I don't think I can answer that honestly.
Hell, I couldn't tell you what the response would be partially because my reactions are akin to predicting the future.

Some instances I take pretty well.

Others, mind = blown.

Good to see you are back thinking again.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I do drugs to blank out this reality, i am all ears bud are you thinking along the lines of P.K.Dick

www.youtube.com...
edit on 10/8/2017 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
In my experience this happens in slow motion.
There is a lot of memory that needs to be relinked all at once, and it creates an astral Vortex in the Corpus callosum.
Lots of classic descriptions from others seem to indicate it may be somewhat universal experience.

Here is a good classic from Edgar allan Poe.

edit on 10-8-2017 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join