It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the Non-Western Mandela Effect examples?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This thread is not arguing the legitimacy of ME as there seems to be no definitive evidence that the ME is either a collective false memory OR some sort of intentional mind-f**k ala MKUltra OR a bi-product of CERN/Time Travel.

This thread is to explore why there are no non-Western reports or instances of the ME. The internet connects different cultures all over the world so surely the notion of the ME would permeate non-English speaking countries. Surely those cultures would post their own examples of ME to the internet. Many of the movies, children's books, peanut butter brands and car logos are also present in many non-Western countries, so in the very least other cultures would be familiar with them and perhaps even have read about or experienced these brands ME.

So I ask could this be a culture-specific occurrence? Either Western Nations are more open to the idea or perhaps another cog in the alleged "destroy Western identity" machine, somehow.

Are there in fact MEs that you can list that effect other cultures; such as a Japanese MANGA graphic novel whose Title changes etc?

Any clever bilinguals out there who could do a non-English web search for ME?

Anyone have a friend living in a non-English speaking country that they could ask about ME to settle it once and for all?

This is some food for thought.

edit on 26-7-2017 by Kalixi because: Added the two questions at the bottom

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Perhaps the entire Mandela Effect is a Western thing ?

edit on 7/26/17 by Gothmog because: oops

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Good question but it must come down to cultural difference. We are swamped by television stories whereas they might not. Or they do have ME and we're just not paying attention to it since it's not as familiar for us and vice versa.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Perhaps the entire Mandela Effect is a Western thing ?

That's what I'm thinking. It's like separate people could see a strange flash in the sky and an American might say "UFO!" but someone from Africa might say "A sign from God!"

Does anyone have a friend residing in a non-Western country they could ask?

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

First you'd have to prove to me that Mandela Effect lore does not exist outside of English-speaking areas.

As someone who only speaks English, how would I find occurrences happening in other languages? I'm sure they're there.

Just as UFOs are cross-cultural, I bet so is the ME.

Now here's the interesting part. If ME is only limited to the west, English-speaking population, then that nulls the faulty memory explanation...unless of course, faulty memory is only a western phenomenon as well

edit on 26-7-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Whatever entity is causing the Mandella Effect could be targeting Christian-based societies.

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Just found this relevant quote from reddit user Erik_Sensa:

I don't even know where to start. I am South African and I can guarantee you that not once has anyone who lives here or who is familiar with SA and it's history said or thought that Mandela died in prison. I'm a historian and I've lived in this country all my life, it has never been the case that he died in prison - HE WAS OUR FIRST POST-APARTHEID PRESIDENT for crying out loud! All accounts of this supposed prison-death I've seen so far have been from overseas persons, but we have never thought he died in prison here! The effect is named after what seems to be just basic bad education and spotty general knowledge. And I mean, you're taking your cues from a "paranormal consultant" on the internet. Come now.

LINK: The Mandela Effect in South Africa DOESN'T EXIST

posted on Jul, 26 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 26-7-2017 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Here in asia people more focused on making a living .

Other than those who've ate too much western # people dont waste time on such stupidity .

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   

There are plenty of personal Mandela Effects from other countries. The original Mandela Effect took place in South Africa. You should also consider that many people from other countries use forums that are run in their languages. As well other cultures may view these events differently and not be so weirded out by them. More enlightened cultures may accept it as part of life, as it most certainly seems to be. We don't freak out over gravity and quantum physics but they are pretty much equally mysterious. Don't even get me started on Time and Space not actually existing to begin with, yet we all pretend it does.

I bet you money if you started cruising Chinese, Indian, Russian discussion forums you will find all sorts of examples that are region specific. It's not like we would ever know about it over here, our news isn't going to report it or something. They don't even talk about our ME's.
edit on 7/27/2017 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   
A lot of non-western countries have government control of the official version of things. I would expect there are many cases that would appear to us as ME but to those living in it, probably see it as today's version of what the government says.

What comes to mind is a recent story where all references to pandas in conjunction with president Xi were removed.

EDIT: it wasn't pndas, it was Winnie the Pooh. Source AOL.com
edit on 7-27-2017 by LogicalGraphitti because: Correction

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Im in India, and I remember Shiva have 5 arms.

(Jk)

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If that were then case, then all of Latin America and half of Africa would be reporting it too.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: sputniksteve

Yes, but people who live in SA do not have the "false memory" of Mandelas death, only Westerners do

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Ok, that was one point out of many, and arguably the weakest. Disregard the rest or what? I don't care whether you believe, but it isn't nearly as cut and dry as you suppose.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Whatever entity is causing the Mandella Effect could be targeting Christian-based societies.

They could, or perhaps they are specifically targetting internet users for some purpose?

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

This thread is to explore why there are no non-Western reports or instances of the ME.

So why title the thread as a question asking if there is, if your 2nd paragraph is saying this thread is about why there isn't any?

Western society has nations that don't speak English as their native tongue.

Are you looking for Western nations of simply English speaking nations?

There are many posts that can be found even here on ATS in threads about the Mandela effect talking about how its talked about in other European countries. I think it was Sweden.

This has been asked and claimed before that its only a Western thing or English speaking thing but its been shown to be in countries that don't speak English as their native tongue.

Does it make it any more acceptable because its also experienced by people in non English speaking nation?

Hell NO.

Ignorance doesn't discriminate.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Well, I'm here at our North American headquarters and there are some people from mainland China here too. They keep insisting that Taiwan is really called Formosa and it's always been that so they obviously have some sort of Asian Mandela Effect going on there as well.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

originally posted by: carewemust

They could, or perhaps they are specifically targetting internet users for some purpose?

Almost to say "Hey world community all communicating on this electronic medium, isn't it weird how suddenly millions of people remember things differently?" If you were an interested 3rd party and wanted to raise some awareness that things aren't as they seem without everyone completely losing their minds, it could be a pretty good way to do it huh?

That thought has also crossed my mind many times.

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Seems they are correct, in a roundabout way.

www.google.com... d=chrome&ie=UTF-8

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join