It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France and Germany to develop new European fighter jet

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

One that looks like the Boeing FA-XX.

They're talking 2040s, soooo...we'll see.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha
6th generation of USAF , Russia and China plane will fly since a lot , before the Franco /German one will be built trust me.

posted on Jul, 11 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Morning!

I'm at Marham for a few days this week, we're gearing up for Farnborough. Keep an eye out for a new concept and some announcements on the UK Combat Air Strategy.

Off to Ikea now.

Cheers
Robbie

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Europeans are uppity. They look down on Americans. They will never buy a single American plane.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AHTrooper

Think you're a bit wrong on that one

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woody510

Think you're a bit wrong on that one

True. Britain buys F-35 for navy, but that's out of respect because of English speaking. France and Germany and Sweden and Russia and Spain and Italy would never buy a single American plane. They make their own planes.
edit on 12-7-2018 by AHTrooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Italy leased 34 F16s in the early 2000s.also has a production facility for the F35.

Greece
Belgium
Croatia
Denmark
Holland
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Slovakia
All fly F16s.
Numerous countries will also have the F35 in Europe. Probably every airforce has C130s add in the C17 to numerous air forces within Europe.

posted on Jul, 12 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AHTrooper
True. Britain buys F-35 for navy, but that's out of respect because of English speaking. France and Germany and Sweden and Russia and Spain and Italy would never buy a single American plane. They make their own planes.

Seriously? lots of US planes

France: Boeing E-3F Sentry, Boeing C-135FR, General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper, Lockheed C-130J Super Hercules, C-130, King Air 350

Germany: P-3C Orion

Sweden: C-130 Hercules

Spain: EF-18A, P-3 Orion, King Air, C-130 Hercules, Sikorsky, S-76, Cessna Citation V

Italy: F-35 Lightning II, King Air, Gulfstream G550, Boeing KC-767, C-130J Super Hercules, MQ-9A Predator B etc.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Thanks Fred I was cooking at time and just went with what I could remember.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Clearly a troll!

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
The question is not whether people will buy American, it's more whether a country wants to maintain sovereign capability to build complex aircraft. France and Germany, under the umbrella of EU industrial strategy - are pushing for a design, presumably to keep French engineers occupied, with the eye on an EU lucrative monopoly (sûrement pas). The UK has stated that the capability to build advanced aircraft is a strategic industry, so we are either firmly in bed with partners (as in F35, Eurofighter, Tornado et al), or doing it ourselves.

Anyway, what we may see is the UK collaborating with countries who also want to maintain capability. In fact, here's a clue to some of that...

Defence Journal UK-Sweden

The organisation say that the MoD is looking to new aerospace partners after being left out of Franco-German programme. This isn’ t new, last year BAE Systems and Turkish Aerospace Industries signed an agreement to collaborate on the first development phase of an indigenous fifth-generation fighter jet for the Turkish Air Force.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: stratsys-sws
Which one?

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
I doubt in the long run that the UK will get any further into bed with Turkey for a host of reasons, many of which are sound. However I can see the possibility that the UK could partner with countries such as Sweden, Japan or Korea for notional 5/6 Gen aircraft as well as high end UAV's.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

AHtrooper, looks like he's already been banned. Having said that, it kinda feels like I'm sat in a cave in this thread right now, there are a few troglodytes in here spouting crap :-)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Well the Germans did put a few men on the moon quite quickly

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Well, here you go. The UK has pushed £2 billion as a starter for ten into a new UK led sixth gen aircraft. Only days after Airbus started to back-peddle on the UK-out of the Franco-German initiative.

Source BBC

A model of the UK's planned new fighter jet, the Tempest, has been unveiled at the Farnborough Air Show. The UK's Defence Secretary, Gavin Williamson, said the jet could be used with either pilots or as a drone. The aircraft, which will eventually replace the existing Typhoon fighter jet, will be developed and built by BAE Systems, engine maker Rolls-Royce and Italy's Leonardo.

A bit more detail... Defence Journal

Interested to see how this unfolds.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Hi Paraphi,

Yep, like I said earlier in this thread, keep an eye out for the concept unveiling.

I've started a new thread on Tempest, it will be interesting to track developments specifically to that platform.

Cheers
Robbie

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
By the time they will be done with the design, that design will have become either "nothing special" or obsolete.
Just like it happened with the EF-2000. By the time it was fully operational it was almost completely obsolete.

That is, if the software will work correctly.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

It's pretty amusing that you regard the EF-2000 as being "almost completely obsolete" at introduction. At that time, Russia didn't even have active radar homing missiles. Today, Russia barely has any active radar homing missiles. And the EF-2000 outnumbers the Su-35 BM by a factor of 7. It can be armed by superior missiles and a better radar. When you're #1, why try harder?
edit on 2/10/18 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Trouble in paradise, folks. Germany wants the next gen aircraft it was planning to build with the french to have significant export restrictions placed on it. The French do not.

www.defensenews.com...

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join