It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard work does not pay off.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Hang in there , DH ,you don't have to work at something you don't want, decide what you like and go for it ,,,,
my happiest memories , is of when I had the least.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

I have noticed this is true-

You have to spend money to make money.

-edit, sent you a message-
edit on 1-7-2017 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I have worked hard labor most of my life. I have always enjoyed working hard. Makes one big and strong like bull. Everybody eventually finds their niche in life. I am in management now and believe my hard work helped me get there along with having some brains on what is going on around me. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
save all your earnings. sacrifice lifestyle for a few years. wear the same cloths for until you it rips or you need a new one. food.. if you want to have a retirement plan, eat simple.

save up, but then spend on better service/equipment/employees and keep adding to your profit making machine.

one day you'll be make millions.
edit on 09/04/1994 by luciferslight because: respell spend

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

The answer may not to be to give up, but it is not to capitulate to the situation which maintains the hardships suffered by those who have not been fortunate either.

The first rule to remember, is that whether a successful person worked from the ground up, or inherited their success, the main factor was luck. They may have been smart, hard working, strong, fast, and capable in every respect, but no one gets anywhere doing anything without being first VERY, VERY lucky. That is just the truth, not a debate point. You are right about that.

But the fact is that this situation is non-sustainable. With automation coming on stream in the near future, work is going to be even scarcer than it is now, and that is going to mean that some very willing, eager, clever and decent people, are going to be left with their thumbs up their rear ends, whether that is in their nature or not. This means, that at some point, the awful bastards running the global show, are going to have to accept that the current model which ascribes worth to effort, is going to have to be turned on its head. People will have to accept that it is no longer proper or fair, to expect a person to find work and be paid a wage, because there will be so few jobs available, and what work is available, will not pay well, because the vast majority of the complicated but manual tasks, the risky jobs, the hard work, will be being done by machines.

The reality therefore, is that the people will have to force a change in the way time is valued, and the way people are treated who are out of work. It will become so commonplace to be out of work, to have been outdone by machines, that huge numbers of people, massive quantities of the current labour force, will be, from an employment perspective, rendered obsolete. These people must NOT be left to rot. Perhaps, rather than vilifying those who simply have not found employment or cannot, we could support such people to move their focus from the harrowing circumstance of being undervalued as a person, simply because the market refuses point blank to provide them opportunities, and because their birth and status affords them no mobility to achieve anything with, and onto pursuits which nourish their souls.

Lord knows, if people were free to use their time to heal the wounds caused them by hardship, rather than simply face day, after crushing day of it, we would see greater art, better poetry, more engagement with science and voluntary efforts in the environmental and cultural fields.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
im on the grind too man
i work in a foundry. been in that for a while now. worked my way up the ladder a bit from the real hardcore labor but its still hitting it hard. still hourly.
for a guy that didnt graduate highschool i do ok for wages.

does it pay? not enough to be rolling in it

it pays enough for me to support my wife and daughter. we own our cars(not new). have decent #. no credit cards.
i get a weeks vacation every year. no sick time.
im 40 and ive accepted that this is how it is going to be for me.

i dont have the drive to go to school

i would recommend you check into becoming a UT tech and i dont mean medical

work.chron.com...

you can get certified level 1 with 40 hours of classwork and 400 hours practical under a level 2.

its gravy too man

in 2015 my foundry brought in a dude to train me on UT. i had never done it before. i did it every day for more than a month. it was gravy man
you have to learn about wavelength propagations and # like that. focal points and such but its not hard work dude.

that is a skill you can start a business with.
if you did a few years with a company to get your startup together.
7k for a nice olympus ut machine. your probes and cables. a van. some advertising. get your level 2 up.

smaller places that dont have UT in house call on companies to UT for them.

when the disaster happened at my place the outside quote was 700k to do the UT. they said # that and flew the tech from south africa to train me and we did it together. they just paid me my normal wages.

the iron foundry i worked at had a level 2 in house. he had the most gravy job there. he had a schedule of # to UT and one of us would segregate whatever casting(s) he had to check and he would come along with the machine and do it.
nobody #ed with him.

i know up in alaska you can UT on the pipelines. those dudes are making 150k a year for 6 months of work.

check it out

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Hard work pays off....

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I know a dude (he's 20) who makes $35/hr (no college education) because his grandfather owns a very prominent local business.

What does he do? Sits on a computer watching Netflix all day.

Other people that do the same job as him make 11.20/hr.

"It's about who you know," is absolutely correct.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Started out with nothing . Today own and run very successful company with branches in taiwan , china , hong kong , japan and main office in singapore . Getting ready to open branch in vietnam now . It wasnt easy took (and takes) alot of hard work . So yes hard work does pay off . All without rich relatives and without a degree from uni .

Had a few times along way where got set back to where started . Got up dusted off and started over again .

I'm the same.

I've tried to contribute to threads like this before in the past, but sadly they dont want to hear it. They are only here to bemoan their lot in life and not interested in hearing actual success stories where people will worked hard succeeded.

If the OP isn't working two jobs to save up to get a secondary education, then he isn't working hard. They are simply expect success to fall into their laps.
edit on 1-7-2017 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
I think this is what has more people frustrated, angry, sad, feeling short changed and beaten down. Hard work simply does not pay off like we were always taught it did.

The hardest workers are rarely ever management or higher paid positions - almost all places I've been, from Walmart, to small businesses, the owners understand the least about their operations, and their workforce carries them.

"its who you know, not what you know" certainly seems to apply as well. Whether it's smaller franchises and businesses that simply give management positions to their kin, regardless of ability ( look up business failure rates, typically third and fourth generations run things into the ground)

This along with "you have to have money to make money" leaves those of us without rich relatives at a huge disadvantage
(relatively) - those born into wealth are many times more likely to continue being wealthy, and those born outside of it, much less likely.

Now there are exceptions to the rule, and of course a person can own their own business, work for themselves, and find a market they can succeed in - but this does not describe what everyone can do. Supply and demand dictates that only so many people can offer a certain service and succeed in an area. People like to argue that we could all just work for ourselves, but it's not realistic. There's only so many services not being filled in, in any particular area..

Anyways. Just a little bit frustrated, I guess. I'm definitely working to fight the odds.. But it's a tough uphill battle.

Hard work does payoff but it doesn't always payoff immediately. It takes time.

You have to first figure out your end goal and lay out a plan to get there. No one is simply going to hand it you. I am working on starting a new business. I have given myself a five year plan to get it done.

Yes, there are people who have it easier than others. Some people have wealthy family/relatives who can give them money to start businesses. Some have other advantages. Regardless, you can only play the hand you are dealt and not everyone who makes it starts off on third base. There are a ton of entrepreneurs and others who are true rags to riches stories.

Luck is when preparation and opportunity meet. You first have to be prepared and then recognize an opportunity when it is given to you. You may have to step backwards to go forward in some cases.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

"It's about who you know," is absolutely correct.

Thus it makes sense to network, and meet people that can benefit your chosen path.

I spent 6mo's of doing nothing but attending workshops, conventions, classes and meeting people. Now I'm in the Unions and making real money. Attendance is worthless if you don't talk and interact with the successful people and it's an ongoing process.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
One of the problems is that in alot of industries, the best workers dont make good managers.

Think sports.. just because your a good player doesnt mean you would make a good coach.

Sometimes the tasks and skill-sets between a manager or a higher up, are so vastly different from people who work below, there is no translating.

That isn't the point. Managers don't need to be good workers. They need to be good managers.

Their job is to manage others so that they do their jobs properly and efficiently. So they need people skills and generally know accounting and business management skills. It's helpful for them to know their underlings jobs as well, but at the end of the day, they are there to make things run more efficiently.

Businesses in all countries all around the world use managers. If you think this is all somee big mistake, that all these companies are doing it wrong, you are hopelessly naive. YouDONT know better than millions of business owners all over the world.

Yes, some managers are useless, but the majority are there to keep the employees working fast and efficiently.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciferslight
save all your earnings. sacrifice lifestyle for a few years. wear the same cloths for until you it rips or you need a new one. food.. if you want to have a retirement plan, eat simple.

save up, but then spend on better service/equipment/employees and keep adding to your profit making machine.

one day you'll be make millions.

This exactly.

It's called HARD WORK!

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Hard work is but a small part of the equation.

I hate to be that guy, but I'm willing to bet you're puffing on the finest weed money can buy at this very moment... while the tag on your car is expired, you have no insurance, and you're a month behind on your rent.

Correct me if I'm wrong.... just be honest please.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I must admit that the hardest jobs I have ever had were the least paying ones, with the least possibility of advancement.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hard work does not pay off. It does, just not for the people that actually do it.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Hard work does not pay off. It does, just not for the people that actually do it.

Hey, keep slacking off and doing a half-assed job then and see where that gets you!

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
the future doesn't seem to want wrench turners and honest hard workers, it seems to need techies.

Oh really, Im one of those techies so tell me how Im not an "honest hard worker" because I dont have to use a wrench every day? This ridiculous notion held by some people that if you use your mind + ability to make a living vs using your hands + ability to make a living means you don't work hard is the very reason why the world passes people like that by.

It takes all types to make the world survive and while some jobs have more gravitas then others all jobs are important. The sooner the "using tools makes you a harder worker " crowd gets over that the sooner posts like yours wont be necessary because if you think using a wrench makes you more important , reliable or skilled than someone that uses a keyboard my guess is you will continue to struggle to make it in life.

Additionally the belief of "Work smarter not harder" is great if you are okay finishing in second place or worse. This mentality is the problem in my opinion that many people just starting out seem to have.

If you want to be elite , if you want to succeed, if you want to get to the top of whatever industry you are in the way to achieve that is to both work harder and smarter then the people are you competing with.

edit on 1-7-2017 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I mean, I don't need to answer you and I'm not accountable to you.. but..

I've never smoked anything.
Never drank anything other than water/sweetened drinks.
My rent is paid, as well as my other payments...
My own, my wive's car are up to date, legal, etc....
I'm keeping up with life.

There's just nothing in sight saying I'll ever get ahead.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

originally posted by: CulturalResilience

Hey, keep slacking off and doing a half-assed job then and see where that gets you!

It may be different were you live, but where I am slacking off and/or doing a half assed job provides you with a free and house benefits funded by people like me who work bloody hard. Shout in streets that you want sharia law, and to murder police and soldiers, and your massive extended family will get the same.
edit on 1-7-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join