It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard work does not pay off.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
working smart might produce a little better results? if you can find ways to do your job better, quicker, more efficient enough times, a supervisor or boss might take notice. if you go the extra mile and learn on your own time skills and knowledge that enables to go beyond your job description might help..
but, no, working hard doesn't seem to do much does it?? what I've noticed it that it seems that you can bust your butt and be available whenever asked to work overtime, and you will see the raises going to some of the biggest goof offs in the shop, because of something stupid like they like the same football team as the boss so they spend more time chatting about football with him than working or something equally as weird.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: WUNK22

I'm trying to get a government job honestly.

Extremely high pay for menial tasks.. It won't be fulfilling.. But it will pay the bills.

Where are you trying to get a job at? Department of transportation? The postal service (in a town of 120, I doubt you even have a post office, and the mail delivered by rural route drivers is done by contract)? The line for civil servant jobs is long.....most of it is contract work. I have worked for the gov't and gov't contractors.....social services, immigration, mental health emergency, all kinds of stuff. The work is dreadful, the pay SUCKS because the contractors want the maximum profit so they pay their workers poorly, and if you do not have a college degree, you are looking at low pay either way unless you are lucky enough to jump on the truck driver / dept. of transportation gravy train...and even that's not easy.

Better look at your skillset, and decide to either go to a trade school, get underneath somebody willing to teach you, or do a stint in the military because you can get a free degree that way as long as you serve honorably, along with job skills and a general training in discipline.

Military service can get you preference for gov't jobs.

Better do some homework. The world we live in now is tough. Very hard to survive in. It will boil down to either having a skill a machine cannot replicate, or engineering something new and necessary. Don't do public service, the pay is crap and people treat you like garbage. This is a new America.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Average Joe can't just become a cow farmer these days and make a living well enough.

We are in the transition period. Your great grandson wont be milking a cow but he will be
working with the new synthetic milk. Just like real milk only without having to hurt a cow.
And if your worried about drinking synthetic milk just remember all the health risks that
come from drinking cows milk.

So long as humans have an imagination there will be jobs.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
I've found hard work doesn't pay. I own my own business and work 80hours a week.

I owned my own business and only worked 60 hour weeks. I made over $500K profit in the first 18 months back in the late '90s. I'm afraid you're doing it wrong, or you're in the wrong line of work.

Still love what you bring to the boards every day. If only what you wrote here generated capital for you!!

Cheers!!

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
One of the problems is that in alot of industries, the best workers dont make good managers.

Think sports.. just because your a good player doesnt mean you would make a good coach.

Sometimes the tasks and skill-sets between a manager or a higher up, are so vastly different from people who work below, there is no translating.

Exactly right.

So i worked to the top of the workers anyway.. i dont have anyone to tell me what to do but not making salary yet.. maybe soon. I am learning better to pkay manager as an assumed shift lead.

Hard work is part.. but evolvong your perspective of the entire opetation is more important. A manager can degage most of the work..

My gf mpved from workinf myltiple jobs tired all the time to now assistant manager at a sister restaurant to the one i work in. She worked hard always, but it was her unyeilding respondibility, trustworthiness, and ability to get others to do work..

I dont mind her new paycheck haha.. and if she proves herself shes slated to run the nect restaurant on her own and a huge pay raise.

Simply put.. if you are the best choice for the job you will move up.. and it helps to have personality as well of course. Stepping up pn your own is the move. Dont wait to ne asked.

And if you can work out being your own boss?? Do It!

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I would move, sounds like a dead end town dude.

You know who pays well, has good benefits and hires?
-The union

Sparkies make some good coin, I'd have to ask around, but I bet it's full time plus ot @ $30-45/hr now
for union journeyman electricians.

Another angle you could explore with moving...
If you get the job, I would recommend getting a rent-to-own home by cold calling every listing to try and avoid or minimize a down payment.
You can then resell it in 2 years or longer and pocket the profit tax free under the improvement on primary res loophole.
It is usually cheaper than renting and builds equity fast. Maybe put 70k tax free in your account, covering all prior payments plus spending cash after 2 years. You should be listed in the title when "rent-to-owning" or it's just renting.
You are allowed to sell it at that point, balance owed to seller, remainder to you.

Good luck

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

Cool story... Setting up shops where slave and child labor is the normal and you pay others pennies to make you millions.

My soul matters to me.

Thanks.

But no thanks.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Hard work pays off is only true up to a point.

You have to work hard in the right ways. If you are only flipping burgers or stocking shelves, keeping your head down and never offering to distinguish yourself beyond doing those simple things, then no ... you aren't going anywhere.

You have to make yourself stand out from all the others who show up on time, work hard, are conscientious at their job, and leave when it's time to clock out. Why should you advance over all of them? Because I can guarantee that you aren't the only one who does a good job doing those things.

You have to show that you are different and special and worth their time and effort or you have to find ways to expand your own skill set to make yourself more marketable, maybe by going to night classes after working hard all day. My aunt did that and just retired from a very, very fine career that never would have been possible if she hadn't put in all those crap years of working her 40 and going to night school to get her degree.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

a reply to: VengefulGhost

Cool story... Setting up shops where slave and child labor is the normal and you pay others pennies to make you millions.

My soul matters to me.

Thanks.

But no thanks.

I dont use slave labour or child labour . I hire based on skill and ability . Pay all my employees a good salary along with give them all an annual bonus of 3 months salary .

But go ahead keep believing all the stereotypes you hear .
Have a good day am off to enjoy my weekend .

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   

a reply to: Lucidparadox

It still proves my point - nearly every task can get done without the manager. In fact, the small businesses I have worked at, the managers can leave for a few days to a week and it's not noticed.. Not even a little.

Sure, they'll have some boring paperwork to catch up on, but that's about it.

They definitely are not worth anything more than the average employee, and I actually believe a lot of employees could take on specific tasks they'd be good at and get rid of middle management altogether.

This!

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

a reply to: WUNK22

I'm trying to get a government job honestly.

Extremely high pay for menial tasks.. It won't be fulfilling.. But it will pay the bills.

Husband worked as a government contract pharm tech. He was paid monthly and didn't get paid the first month. It sucked! The pay was bad and we had to budget very, very carefully in order to avoid running out of money.

You will likely need to put up with it in order to get your foot in the door. After several years of that, he moved into a pharm tech spot. The pay wasn't a whole lot better, but the benefits were awesome.

Thing is that once you get your GS paperwork, you are in a good spot for moving to other GS jobs. Supposedly, if he wanted to apply work at the National BioDefense Labs in Manhattan his ancient GS 1 grade papers would help weigh in his favor all these years later. We've never tested that, but with my parents getting older, it's an option on the table.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The joys of life.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Heres how to get ahead,

This is what I do at my job.

maybe about 15 mins of real work.

I actually do TPS reports hahahaha sometimes hahaha

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
You're still young. I have socks older than you.

Never work for anyone else.

If you are smart enough to post coherently on ATS.

You are certainly smart enough to have your own gig.

I opened my first business about your age.

Set up a business that compliments your local area.

Let your balls drop son, get busy...

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Dude where do you buy your socks, I'm lucky if a sock lasts over a year.

*cue depression spiral*

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Become a carpenter, electrician, hvac tech, or auto mechanic for a while. you will make quite a bit of money and get some valuable life experience.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

The way of life on this world is quite possibly the worst that could be imagined. If you're even slightly intelligent you can't really suceed in life on earth because you'll spend your life offended and miserable perceiving that grotesque structure of existence here

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Hard work is only a part of the equation. You must also learn to handle money in a sensible and responsible manner. Above all, keep yourself as far from debt as possible. Yes, that means you won't have it all, the spiffiest car, phone, etc. when you are starting out but the sacrifice is worth the end result of security. Pay yourself first. Always. Put money aside from each check, even a very small amount sets a habit of savings and when the next emergency hits, you won't end up deep in debt if you have some put aside.
Credit cards and loans are not your friend. They are friends of the bankers and will make you a slave to the people you owe.
Make it a habit to sit down at the beginning of each month and make a budget for the month. Then stick to it. Spend less than you make by learning to do things for yourself---like make your own food. Learn to repair simple things that break---You Tube is great for this and can save you big bucks. Just learning to make your own laundry detergent can save quite a bit on a monthly basis and no college degree is required.
I say all this because even if you are making $50k/yr. and spending $55k/yr. you will never get ahead no matter how long and hard you work.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do but you have to have a belief in yourself that I'm not sensing from your post.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   

I think this is what has more people frustrated, angry, sad, feeling short changed and beaten down. Hard work simply does not pay off like we were always taught it did.

The hardest workers are rarely ever management or higher paid positions - almost all places I've been, from Walmart, to small businesses, the owners understand the least about their operations, and their workforce carries them.

"its who you know, not what you know" certainly seems to apply as well. Whether it's smaller franchises and businesses that simply give management positions to their kin, regardless of ability ( look up business failure rates, typically third and fourth generations run things into the ground)

This along with "you have to have money to make money" leaves those of us without rich relatives at a huge disadvantage
(relatively) - those born into wealth are many times more likely to continue being wealthy, and those born outside of it, much less likely.

Now there are exceptions to the rule, and of course a person can own their own business, work for themselves, and find a market they can succeed in - but this does not describe what everyone can do. Supply and demand dictates that only so many people can offer a certain service and succeed in an area. People like to argue that we could all just work for ourselves, but it's not realistic. There's only so many services not being filled in, in any particular area..

Anyways. Just a little bit frustrated, I guess. I'm definitely working to fight the odds.. But it's a tough uphill battle.

Working hard will always pay off if you work in the right direction. There are jobs all over america that pay great you only need a ged for. You might have to move but thats a part of life. There are a ton of overseas jobs that pay 100k plus a year tax free as well. All i have is a ged, i have a good paying job, regular raises until my pay cap at $30 an hour hits plus lots of over time. There are more opportunities here then about anywhere else in the world and most of these needy selfish millennials dont get it. Pursuit of happiness is a great movie, true story of a struggling man when people were against him and eventually prevailed. Hard work always pays off.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Try not to live in cliches, except love your work you wll never work a day in your life. Higher ups dont always want to lose that hard worker when advancement to another level comes time. Extra money is the byproduct with a lot of successful people, ie its not about the money,they want to acheive, learn or master their occupation and in doing so begin to get extra dough. Sometimes you'll find yourself in situations where working with other people and management is more difficult than the job itself. and very rarely if ever take advice from an internet message board.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join