It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Battle for the Soul of America at Gettysburg

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
These mask wearing rejects get to much attention.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: intrptr

It's called history. It's called having fun.

If you can have fun while teaching history why not? Have you even gone to a reinactment? Half, or more, of what they do is educating people about the period. About the men and women involved. It most assuredly isn't just about running around waving a gun, at least for the serious ones. Many of whom are experts on the period.

But you knew all that, I'm sure.

What I know is reenactments, like dramatized TV, based on true events, etc, are all far off the mark. History is been rewritten so many times, for lots of nefarious reasons, can't trust any of it, resist being misinformed by it.

imo

Right so should they even teach history at all? Or is that just basic disinfo 101?

Reenactoemts are disinformation, nobody who reenacts was there, how do they know how it really went down.

Especially war and history of warfare, battles, always skewed by the winners, then bastardized thru the ages.

Ever play telephone?

Maybe you 'believe' in the Bible too...

It's called primary research. Reading the soldiers diaries, first hand accounts, from BOTH sides. Add to that actual archeological digs and research used to reproduce the items and finding extant period clothing. All in an effort to constantly improve the impression and historic narrative to tell the public and as a volunteer of intellectual pursuit. It is a way to honor those that fought and sacrificed for what we have, honor and understand as closely as possible without the privilege of actually being there.

I wouldn't expect you to understand the concept of intellectual pursuits, honor and sacrifice.

Sad really.

edit on 6/29/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

What are you even on about?

No they weren't there. Obviously. However, people who were left records of events, records of all kinds of things. They also left diaries, and letters full of anecdotes and stories--eyewitness accounts of the events. Historians study those, and draw educated opinions from them.

Reinactors use the same information to transform what is, for some, dry and uninteresting topical information, into living, breathing events. You can visualize what it might have been like to live in those camps, march into battle--without having to smell the sickness, see the death...many of those reinactors are former soldiers themselves, their own experiences lend a sense of reality to it.

Gettysburg is one of the most studied events of the American Civil War, by both the winners and the losers. Read the accounts of Gen. James Longstreet, who was, after the death of Gen. Thomas Jackson, Stonewall Jackson, during the battle of Chancellorsville, Robert E. Lees right hand man. He was there, and wrote extensively about his life during the Civil War. Gen. Pickett, of Pickett's Charge fame, also wrote extensively. Many of the leading figures of the time wrote extensively in diaries and in letters to wives, girlfriends, other family. There is a plethora of information out there that has been extensively researched and confirmed. Only inexcusable laziness would bother denying this.

Research into Gettysburg is on-going and they're finding new information that confirms other stories, or debunks others all the time.

I myself am in possession of my Great-great grandfathers diary that he kept during his time in the Army of Tennessee. When I die, it will be given to a museum for researchers to use. He served in the Confederate Army from virtually day one, 'til the surrender at Appomattox Courthouse. I've read the diary a thousand times. He was just a enlisted man, he was a corporal at the end, so he had a worms-eye view of the war, and wrote very tellingly of events. He wasn't alone, there are thousands upon thousands of diaries and letters out there to be read and studied.

As for the Bible? Many, not all of course, events in that have been confirmed, as well. Of course they're open to interpretation. But that's a topic for another day.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I dont know many that do reenactments, but those I do know try very hard to get their hands on copies of journals from the time period they are targeting, while it is still a slanted view... its a view that fit the time period they are trying to mimic... rather than some idiot professors opinion 100+ years later.

I have read a few journal copies as well, several colleges have taken great pains to preserve this information... These big ones are usually very accurate in many ways.

At best only an idea of what it was really like.

I think its corruption to em brace dramatized events and or reenactments.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

So you dismiss first hand accounts as well...

I guess you really do feel history should never be studied.. Since first hand accounts, coupled with archaeology are pretty much how history gets written.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

No they weren't there. Obviously. However, people who were left records of events, records of all kinds of things. They also left diaries, and letters full of anecdotes and stories--eyewitness accounts of the events. Historians study those, and draw educated opinions from them.

Thanks, even the actual photos (there are no moving pictures of civil war events) are supposedly faked in some cases. The actual untouched images show what war always shows, death and destruction.

You want to reenact, set up live cannons, mini ball and grape shot, then charge into them. But first bring back all the dead to really play the part, they were completely different people than us today. Their mores, ideals, physical makeup, etc. You want to show the civil war, instead of aggrandized battles, trumpets and cavalry, show the destruction of Atlanta Georgia or the suffering of Andersonville prison.. reenact that.

Hell I'd show you some real war footage from today but I can't, because of TnC. The acceptable version is much altered.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Sorry folks, What a lark. The first people to raise hell about fake news and MSM lies are the very ones insisting hundreds of years ago history is accurate.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's called history. It's called having fun.

If you can have fun while teaching history why not? Have you even gone to a reinactment? Half, or more, of what they do is educating people about the period. About the men and women involved. It most assuredly isn't just about running around waving a gun, at least for the serious ones. Many of whom are experts on the period.

But you knew all that, I'm sure.

What I know is reenactments, like dramatized TV, based on true events, etc, are all far off the mark. History is been rewritten so many times, for lots of nefarious reasons, can't trust any of it, resist being misinformed by it.

imo

Right so should they even teach history at all? Or is that just basic disinfo 101?

Reenactoemts are disinformation, nobody who reenacts was there, how do they know how it really went down.

Especially war and history of warfare, battles, always skewed by the winners, then bastardized thru the ages.

Ever play telephone?

Maybe you 'believe' in the Bible too...

It's called primary research. Reading the soldiers diaries, first hand accounts, from BOTH sides. Add to that actual archeological digs and research used to reproduce the items and finding extant period clothing. All in an effort to constantly improve the impression and historic narrative to tell the public and as a volunteer of intellectual pursuit. It is a way to honor those that fought and sacrificed for what we have, honor and understand as closely as possible without the privilege of actually being there.

I wouldn't expect you to understand the concept of intellectual pursuits, honor and sacrifice.

Sad really.

Meh, here reenact this. This is war... not fancy drilling and marching, flags waving and blank volley fire.

Do it up right. Use real cadavers, get them stinking, pile them up , dig graves, bury them. How many families show up for that ya think?

image search

Edit: Reenacting war is for brain dead minions of state.

edit on 29-6-2017 by intrptr because: imo

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
This would be a perfect time to start that Civil War "they" (whoever that is) has been pushing for. I think Obama wanted the race war pretty badly. Nine months into his presidency we had the Beer Summit event...then Trayvon "if I had a son he would look like this" Martin...Ferguson...Baltimore...BLM, etc.!

Is this part of Obama's "resistance" effort?

Why do you think Obama is in his homeland of Indonesia at this time ?
Plausible deniability

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
So let me get this straight:

An (supposedly) anarchist group is protesting the remembrance of an insurrection against what was believed by the "rebels" to be a tyrannical central government.

These people are f# retarded. Not only are they ignorant of the goals of anarchism, they apparently don't know what "irony" is either.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
ANTIFA (the real ANTIFA not the keyboard idiots online) is a pretty small group I suspect.

A few dozen vs. thousands or tens of thousands
Throw rocks at them, they will go away. Better yet they should turn the fire hoses on them. They desecrate graves, tar and feather them and put them in stocks in honor of the olden days.

The media needs to join together and ignore them so they will move on to kicking puppies or whatever it is they do when they are not out being jerks.

No reason to coddle violent nutjobs pretending to matter.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
I don't like burning flags, but that is to be expected.

Antifa is a subversive domestic terrorist group and I hope the FBI is keeping a sharp eye on them.

If only to protect them. The only reason these vile little basement dwellers are still able to walk and breathe is because the conservatives they despise so much are better, more rational people than they are and have up till this point showed restraint. There is a pressure building and at some point there will be a release, whether sanctioned or not, that will remind those squawking little bags of horse muck of the real way of things.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: GusMcDangerthing

Nah, so far they've been smart enough to confine their bad behavior to their own home turf.

Imagine some of these fools trying their shenanigans at a football tailgate in SEC, Big 12, or B1G 10 country. They might get away with it depending on where they tried it in B1G country, but I doubt anywhere in the other two, excepting maybe KU, would put up with it.
edit on 29-6-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

a reply to: seeker1963

It was the nickname of the Third Pennsylvania Regiment. It was a volunteer infantry regiment that fought throughout the War.

Damn! Learn something new everyday! Now I am kind of embarrassed!

Ummm...nothing to be embarrassed about...I come here to ATS everyday...to learn something new...

Some of it I've learned from you...and every other poster to this site that I've had the pleasure to banter with...

Methinks that's why you have the screen name that you do...

Stay frosty...nay...stay seeking my friend...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I wanted to get deeper into this thread before commenting, but as usual you have not let me down. What I think many are missing is that if you were to do lifelike re-enactments with cadavers the whole charade would come tumbling down. Its like after a while they stopped showing the body bags US personell from the Middle East. No one would sign up to fight for the MIC fake narrative.

You are hitting on raw nerves that many do not wish to reach to a logical conclusion on.
We traveled through Gettysburg 20 months ago. Even though we had seen some great movies like Gods and Generals and read up on some history they did not come anywhere near in the feelings we felt whilst driving and walking through the area. Wondered how after such a display could any one believe in war and the atrocities. And then I am reminded that the US has been involved in over 120 wars in the last century.

My country is just as guilty in joining with the coalition killing others and Australians in perpetuating atrocities playing into the hands of the Controllers.

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
On Fourth of July weekend on top of it. They really think all of these actors are supporting the what they believe is bad about the flag. Yeah right, and no this cannot happen in a museum either, the displays are designated to parks and other leased, etc, event lands. Antifa should set aside their doctrine for a minute and learn some damn history.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I can't imagine the normal people gathered there to allow anything to happen to those graves. I know I would stand up to stop them.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Gettysburg was a fight for the soul of our nation, the balance was sitting on a razors edge... quite possibly the course of the battle and possibly the war was decided by one mans decision on the first day of this battle.

IF Ewell pushes on day 1 and takes Cemetery hill there is a very good chance that the south wins the battle and this could have changed the course of the war.

The South would have been in position to threaten the Capital or any number of major northern cities, there actions post battle could have brought in outside help or possibly even forced the north to negotiate.

By the North winning the battle it effectively ended the war in the only way it could, this preserved our nation and set its course for the next 150+ years.

So yes... it was a battle for the soul of our nation... and should be protected, studied and remembered for all those that fought in it on both sides... bitter enemies forgave each other.. we their descendants should learn from their example and start talking to each other once more like civil human beings.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

What I think many are missing is that if you were to do lifelike re-enactments with cadavers the whole charade would come tumbling down. Its like after a while they stopped showing the body bags US personell from the Middle East. No one would sign up to fight for the MIC fake narrative.

The glory of war and all, minus the suffering. Yes, what better method of indoctrination. Like on tv where 'actors' get murdered all the time but they don't actually show 'too much', because of 'ratings', i.e., censorship.

We are de-sensitized by tv murder and stupid stuff like reenactments, parades, marching, war movies, whatever.

It works too, by the time we are young adults we've seen thousands of deaths on TV, are pre groomed to take sides, embrace nationalistic fervor, wave flags and defend 'our way of life'.

Now heres a gun, go kill the designated 'enemy'.

I think they should add a civil war era field hospital to their reenactment, they could saw off limbs without anesthetic, todays make up artists could really put on a good up close and personal display of that for the crowd.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join