It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RNC Voter Database Security Hole...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
and, it's a big one!! data on 198 million voters was left online with really no security whatsoever.. all you needed to know was where it was.

the data included the names, the addresses along with how they likely would vote on certain issues.

The accessible files, according to UpGuard, contain a main 198 million-entry database with names, addresses of voters and an "RNC ID" that can be used with other exposed files to research individuals.

For example, a 50-gigabyte file of "Post Elect 2016" information, last updated in mid-January, contained modeled data about a voter's likely positions on 46 different issues ranging from "how likely it is the individual voted for Obama in 2012, whether they agree with the Trump foreign policy of 'America First' and how likely they are to be concerned with auto manufacturing as an issue, among others."

thehill.com...

what a nice handy list for one of those "liberal hunting license" holders to have available to them!!!

I would argue that no political party, or the gov't should have a database like this one!! to act so recklessly with it, well, it seems to come just about to the same degree as hillary's negligence.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I hope the DNC sends me a donation request and postage-paid return envelope. I love returning those empty, or with a smiley inside.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

You should return it wrapped round a brick or some other heavy object.
Its an old trick we used to play on big companies because they have to pay excess postage on receipt.

As for the data. That's just wrong.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

The state database of registered voters is accessible to anyone. It is public record and how a lot of other less reputable sites get your basic information.

Because I haven't registered for any party I end up getting spam from all of them.

It sucks.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I was just on virginia's and I don't think so, I can look up my own, but need to know the date of birth and last four digits of the social security to get anything...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

here a link to another article with more information...

www.upguard.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Here in the UK the electoral register as its known is a public record.
There's usually a shelf full in every library and is a useful tool for family/local historians.
The info it contains is merely a list of addresses with the names of occupants who are eligible to vote

I've not seen an online version so don't know if that contains further info but think its unlikely.
It seems a bit dodgy to me for so much info to be included there.
Fair enough if its for internal use but public access would probably be in breach of the UK's data protection act.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Since birthdate is one of the things often used to id you for many things, I don't think a gov't agency would put that into the public domain. the RNC database had more info on it than a voter registration would have. they tied it into other databases of information, that contain more information... probably sold by different companies or gleaned off of the internet in various ways...
I have a bad habit when a site asks me for my birthdate, I "accidentally" hit the wrong keys...

edit on 19-6-2017 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

That sounds like a wise move.

I once worked for a local authority and helped the public to access information for family/local records.
They were pretty hot on the data protection side of things. I could go through court registers looking for convictions for visa applications and that sort of thing but I wasn't allowed to bring it up in conversation.
There were occasions were there came a conflict between freedom of information and data protection. In those cases the data protection takes priority. If pushed I would pass it up the line to someone above my level of authority.
Occasionally we could divulge someone's personal information to themselves as long as no one else's info was seen.

What you posted above sounds bad to me. We often take privacy for granted and don't understand the dangers because we can't imagine misusing information.
In the wrong hands, though......

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Dbl sorry.
edit on 19-6-2017 by Tulpa because: Ooops

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

You should return it wrapped round a brick or some other heavy object.
Its an old trick we used to play on big companies because they have to pay excess postage on receipt.

As for the data. That's just wrong.

No Kidding? I never thought of that! Ha.. if the DNC sends me another Donation request disguised as a survey, it's gonna cost em!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

at least when they send you a letter, you can just throw it into the trash unopened...
since you seem to be so mean, what do you do when they call..
I'm serious, my phone rings off the hook all day, and ain't none of them worth answering..
would it be illegal for me to find an annoying very loud sound and blast their eardrums out with it???

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I posted about THIS many hours AGO...

Not MANY seemed to care..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

Change the title to HRC or DNC.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Change the title to HRC or DNC.

GOOD point. It wasn't partisan enough.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

at least when they send you a letter, you can just throw it into the trash unopened...
since you seem to be so mean, what do you do when they call..
I'm serious, my phone rings off the hook all day, and ain't none of them worth answering..
would it be illegal for me to find an annoying very loud sound and blast their eardrums out with it???

The DNC/RNC only calls my home..mostly for my wife, cause she sends $$$ to the Democrats constantly.

I never answer the phone if I don't know who it is. Let it go to voicemail. I've maybe missed out on Billions of Dollars from Publishers Clearing House, but avoiding political calls and telemarketers is worth it.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Whenever my Mum gets calls from salesmen or the like, she quietly sets the phone down to one side and let's the caller talk to themselves until they realise that's what they're doing.

Why do the swine's always ring during lunch???

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Metallicus

I was just on virginia's and I don't think so, I can look up my own, but need to know the date of birth and last four digits of the social security to get anything...

In Ohio it is public.

Sounds like Virginia has a much better policy, however, I wonder it if is still available to organizations that are either political or that pay for that information. I would be surprised if it isn't accessible in some way.
edit on 2017/6/19 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

my problem is that there is always a chance it might be a call that I want to pick up, so I go for the phone, lost of walking, which hurts!!
We're on the do not call list, I can ask them not to call, and they will still call the next day...
I'm about ready to inform all those who have a reason to know my phone number, social security, dmv, banks, ect that I've decided to pull my phone because of these stupid calls and also start writing my representatives telling them the same danged thing!! I do not pay that kind of money just to be harassed like this!!!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I like your op much better!!! much more detail, you did a good job..
I posted on it so it will come back up and get some attention.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join