It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tower block on fire in London

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Well it was supposedly 20 people that were in critical condition/care so hopefully that's at least two of the poor souls somewhat out of the danger zone.

Talking now about authorities combing the building for any survivors but looking at the extent of damage to the building i highly doubt anyone else will be pulled out of that thing alive.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Those poor folk, believe me the S will HTF after this i.e inquiry.

An Australian man actually tried to save some folk and he noticed the lack of fire escapes and the ineffectiveness of the fire crew, and apparently one resident who escaped there was saying there was an apparent recent gas piping overhaul which could explain why the fire was fueled for so long and raged so hard.

I watched and noticed just how ill prepared the fire crew were, not to mention the ineffectiveness of the fire hoses. However that doesn't explain how a possible gas leak could create so much havoc unless there was a burst seam somewhere.

Either way the speakers for the dead will have a lot of questions.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Why and who instructed them to "stay"?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

Apparently firemen whilst attempting to address or contain the blaze told residents to stay behind fire doors and place wet towels behind there own doors instead of using the stairwells to exit the building.

Fact is through if the stairwells were full of smoke that makes sense to some extent as i don't imagine the first responding firemen had any idea that the blaze would have spread throughout the building at the speed that it seems to have done.
edit on 14-6-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
No smoke alarms went off? We're there sprinklers?
What an awful thing to be trapped in a tower on fire like that

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Apparently firemen whilst attempting to address or contain the blaze told resident to stay behind fire doors and place wet towels behind there own doors instead of using the stairwells to exit the building.

Fact is through if the stairwells were full of smoke that makes sense to some extent as i don't imagine the first responding firemen had any idea that the blaze would have spread throughout the building at the speed that it seems to have done.

Ah yes I've read that now re the corridors and stairwells being filled with smoke. Still though, there didn't seem to be adequate outdoor fire escapes and one man ignored the instructions to stay and got his family out alive.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

No automatic fire detection system or no fully functional detection system and apparently limited or non functional sprinkler system.

Fire brigade were in attendance 6 min after the initial report so its not them at fault.
edit on 14-6-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: teapot
Don't they have building codes in place there, when there's a renovation done, it must meet present day codes, especially fire codes? Usually you need permits and permits need to be closed to do the work. No permits means insurance claims would be void

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

No automatic fire detection system or no fully functional detection system and apparently limited or non functional sprinkler system.

Fire brigade were in attendance 6 min after the initial report so its not them at fault.

Oh of course it is not the fire brigades fault. It's whoever owns that building
edit on 14-6-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune
There was one report which claimed a faulty fridge was to blame, but I don't buy it. Not for several reasons:.

1. It's too early to establish the cause, and officials have said as much.

2. The speed with which it spread.

I'm leaning towards the possibility this was a deliberate act, especially with recent terror attacks in London. But I have no proof.

My prayers go out to all those affected by this tragedy.

I'm leaning towards it being shoddy workmanship. Although it's too early to tell

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Well i'm sure around 600 poor souls will have to contend with insurance claims rather soon and in all lightly hood a right good few wont even have insurance given the fact that its social housing.

That building was gutted in around 30 minutes.

The building codes seem to be a potential issue given the fact that they allow combustible flammable materials to be used.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
12 confirmed dead
Sadly this count will rise

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
OMG I am so sorry to hear of this tragic news. Came in to see if any of our members were /are witness, and hopefully, can check in SAFE.

God Bless and hold everyone close.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

I get it

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I love you West London.

From the bottom of my heart and the depths of my soul.

You raised me, and the way the community came together today is a testament to your unequaled love and care.

RIP to all the angels we lost.
This is so sad.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The "stay put policy" was in place because as a rule, in Towers, the fires are contained in the flat of origin. It very rarely spreads beyond even the room of origin.

In this case it spread at an extreme pace.
Seems it might be the cladding and some other factors

This policy will need to be rethought.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
As a CT my alarms went off about the fact that 1. The complex is majority Muslim 2. The fire engulfed the only staircase 3. Skinheads were screaming about revenge for the London bridge attacks on sky news last week. Wonder if this was a retaliatory malicious act by this or some other anti-muslim group

edit on 14/6/17 by sirric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
It's horrible. I've read comments about families trapped and screaming inside. I was just watching on the news and you can clearly see a person jumping out and falling.

It's odd that the fire stared on 2nd to 3rd floor from the top and worked it's way down. Although the building is steel framed, it may indeed fall.

Originally, those floors were communal areas for services like daycare, community rooms, but they were converted into apartments along with new electrics, heating system, individual electric meters. The exterior cladding serves several purposes; looking pretty, insulation, and providing service conduits for electrics and other services.

If the fire got into/onto the power cables with plastic insulation, it would go absolutely everywhere.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Told to "STAY in the flat!" and burn!
they got phone calls and other people
wake them or smelt smoke.
no fire or police knocking on
doors telling them to get out?
did they want them to burn?

I would still like to know why the fire was in a
line down the side of the building early on.
look't like a laser hit in a film!
edit on 14-6-2017 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
Told to "STAY in the flat!" and burn!
they got phone calls and other people
wake them or smelt smoke.
no fire or police knocking on
doors telling them to get out?
did they want them to burn?

I would still like to know why the fire was in a
line down the side of the building early on.
look't like a laser hit in a film!

There was a stay put policy in towers. I posted above why they believed it was best. Ended up to be a tragic mistake

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join