It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tower block on fire in London

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Witness

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
You know there is one other sad aspect to this that is rarely spoken of and it's a body count you won't see. That is of all the pets that never had any type of chance for escape really. I'm sure there are going to be many broken hearts of some that did manage to escape and knew what they had to leave behind.

So I myself am going to add those family members to my prayers as well.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirric
As a CT my alarms went off about the fact that 1. The complex is majority Muslim 2. The fire engulfed the only staircase 3. Skinheads were screaming about revenge for the London bridge attacks on sky news last week. Wonder if this was a retaliatory malicious act by this or some other anti-muslim group

I don't think it was racially motivated, I think it was greed.

The outside of the block was on fire, the windows in the stairwells will have broken turning the stairwells into burning chimneys. Quite often fire doors are wedged open in tower blocks.

If there was a concierge to determine the legitimacy of the source of the fire and react accordingly, if adequete sprinker and alarm systems were installed and if cladding put on the buildings was fire proof this tragedy could have been avoided.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: violet

No automatic fire detection system or no fully functional detection system and apparently limited or non functional sprinkler system.

Fire brigade were in attendance 6 min after the initial report so its not them at fault.

Is that legal in the UK?

How can you not have sprinkler system and functional detection system?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
In one of the pictures I saw, it looked like there was 3-4 other buildings that looked exactly the same in the area. I assume they are part of the same network or company owned. Was the same work done on them also, or was this the only building?

If the same work was done on all of them, it shouldn't be too much of a reach to just look at the other buildings to see just how shoddy the work was done. I would guess if it is the same landlords then those other buildings probably have very similar code violations etc..

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

My guess would be ongoing renovations or poorly maintained alarm and electrical systems.

Sprinkler systems are not a legal requirement as most multistorey building fires are generally contained to the one room or at most a few flats.

Obviously in this instance that has not been the case.
edit on 14-6-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: Chadwickus

Those poor folk, believe me the S will HTF after this i.e inquiry.

An Australian man actually tried to save some folk and he noticed the lack of fire escapes and the ineffectiveness of the fire crew, and apparently one resident who escaped there was saying there was an apparent recent gas piping overhaul which could explain why the fire was fueled for so long and raged so hard.

I watched and noticed just how ill prepared the fire crew were, not to mention the ineffectiveness of the fire hoses. However that doesn't explain how a possible gas leak could create so much havoc unless there was a burst seam somewhere.

Either way the speakers for the dead will have a lot of questions.

Hope you are not slating the UK Fire crews ? All the fire plans for such buildings are focused on an internal compartment fire, if as seemed happened a internal fire made its way outside and ignited the outside of the building you have big troubles ?
Now nothing if complying with current Fire safety and Health and safety rules here in the UK should have been flammable on the outside, something clearly was responsible for the fast spread. The one protected stairway also contains a wet rising Fire main as in a building over 50M, it must be a Dry or wet main under 50m if above 18m High.

www.designingbuildings.co.uk...

Now if this central safety protected stairway which also contained the lift access is compromised ie vandalism or such or open doors with persons escaping from the apartments with fires and smoke started from outside and drawn in you get what happened today. It is just so sad.
Also if you can invent a drone that can lift the weight of a charged fire hose to 24 floors you may get some controlled water up to that height from outside ?
edit on 14 6 2017 by skywatcher44 because: .

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
You know there is one other sad aspect to this that is rarely spoken of and it's a body count you won't see. That is of all the pets that never had any type of chance for escape really. I'm sure there are going to be many broken hearts of some that did manage to escape and knew what they had to leave behind.

You are so right. I'm ashamed I didn't think about this yet.
I join you in my prayers

Only a cat could be thrown out of a lower floor window.

This is such a tragic event

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Stuffing their faces? Families, children have died and the best you can do is take a needless jab at Muslims?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hasn't a quick opening parachute been developed yet? That would be a must-have if you/work in a high-rise or skyscraper.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

In one of the pictures I saw, it looked like there was 3-4 other buildings that looked exactly the same in the area. I assume they are part of the same network or company owned. Was the same work done on them also, or was this the only building?

If the same work was done on all of them, it shouldn't be too much of a reach to just look at the other buildings to see just how shoddy the work was done. I would guess if it is the same landlords then those other buildings probably have very similar code violations etc..

I believe there's some connections.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The Grenfell Action Group

Includes Blogs that were previously posted on the risks that fell on deaf ears

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

This was a council building with a lot of low income families that can hardly afford to feed themselves never mind expend much needed monies on quick opening parachutes.

Because at the end of the day most residents would never expect there concrete tower block to go up like a chip pan fire or even entertain the notion of having to evacuate the building, never mind by parachute.
edit on 14-6-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: markojo

Missed my point by a million miles or KM in UK.

How did greed start this fire? It might have contributed to it and made the fire rage beyond control yes,

My question is WHO started the fire and WHY.

Again, I ask, is this a retaliatory attack for the London bridge?
edit on 14/6/17 by sirric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: sirric

Again, I ask, is this a retaliatory attack for the London bridge?

No , initial reports from people who escaped the block say it was started by a faulty kitchen appliance in a flat on the fourth floor.
edit on 14-6-2017 by gortex because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: sirric

No

The current line is that a fringe fire caused the blaze.

Nothing to do with fundamentalists or retaliation against such.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
That should terrify everyone that lives in a multi unit home.

When I was in college I lived in a massive 18 story apartment building that actually was built up over 2 street levels. It was a beautiful building with beautiful scenery, and I hated every second I spent there.

Like someone else said, the smoke detectors were going off so often, that no one paid attention to them, and I felt like I was living in an ant colony. They are right when they say you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.

If a single faulty device is capable of doing that kind of damage, you have to ask yourself, in a time where electrical devices and appliances are scattered throughout every individual unit, how safe is any apartment building? Especially the older ones that were never wired to handle the kind of capacity we are demanding today.

edit on 14-6-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I was thinking the same thing myself.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Do you mean a fridge caught fire?
Not confirmed yet though

Apparently a fire brigade team had visited the building on Saturday, telling residents to follow the stay put rule, that this gave them 30 minutes of time until help arrived. The stay put notices were posted all over the building , by every elevator door, ground floor etc. In hindsight it was bad advice. They never imagined flames could spread so quickly, come out the windows and go up the building. Nobody on the top 3 floors survived.

I've read fire dept members had been visiting the construction of the cladding & other modifications being made. How did that get approved? It's been said although this cladding may have been less combustible following the Dubai tower fires (3 of them) that it may have been constructed poorly. Apparently it was previously a fluted concrete design and this cladding just covered the gaps in the fluting, making those gaps act like chimeys and also there should have been something constructed between floors in this cladding

The cause becomes less important when how fast it spread took so many lives, families and homes. It should never have spread so quickly. Help arrived in 6 minutes. Nevermind the terror of those trapped, under the false belief they should " stay put". I cannot imagine. It's very hot, you can't breathe and the sound of the crackling is so loud. There's explosions going off. Just awful.

edit on 14-6-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

My dog would have been coming with me after all it's part of the family.

Sad through to think on all those poor animals that perished all the same, both human or otherwise.

Wonder how the council will accommodate 600+ now homeless people considering how hard it is in the first place to get a council property?

Tell you this any future accommodation i was offered from that mob better be darn well near fireproof!

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join