It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baddogma's Other Meta Cafe- Polite Discussions About Scientific Mysticism and General Weirdness

page: 191
<< 188  189  190    192  193  194 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

My life for sure... (for sure haha maybe)

I never know where I am or where Im going or how fast or why..

I just do it anyway.
and I wouldnt have it any other way.

One could get bored knowing too many things.

Uncertainty is what makes fun.

oh and..

free physics courses

I registered for "big bang to dark energy" course just now.
i think ill also do the string theory one.

edit on 1-12-2019 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

That's freaking awesome! I'll have a closer look after my morning brew.

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 11:01 PM
link   

That was poetry!

As we have said all along... language is the “sauce” of lif!

PS - Training your replacement sucks...

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Training your replacement? Why? Where are you going?

I love Harald Lesch, I don't always agree because he is a materialism fundamentalist but professor in astrophysics and natural philosophy that's just... awesome. If I wouldn't be such a lazy hedonist I'd want to be him.
Anyhoo I'm halfway through his book "Die Menschheit schafft sich ab" and it is very hard for me to endure. On the one hand I hate people telling other people what they have to do. On the other hand I'm looking for a project and now I'm thinking maybe a household helper/ cookbook /website focussing on regional sustainable goods...
But that's so "hip" I'm disgusted, I'm disgusting...

Half of my problems come from my inner conflict because I'm a nihilistic agapist. These two don't go well together...

I don't know if I like what I'm developing into. I didn't have coffee for more than a week. The producers of coffee have earned ca. 130 million less in 2018, meanwhile roasters and traders have earned over 100 billion more and a lot of it is child labour. I don't know it's just all #ed up. I'm #ed up.
look
The thing is I believe the emotional pain in our little delights contributes a large bit to the psychological imbalances. We're eating and drinking bad kharma. Weltschmerz and Angst anyone?
I don't know it's not fun anymore. I grew up worrying about the ozone hole and it's continously getting worse. It's this fatalistic wish "oh gawd punish us, earthsy devour us, we deserve it"

edit on 8-12-2019 by Peeple because: add

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

My dearest Ms. Peeps,

I understand your frustration and your desire to push things forward (progress at all cost, eh?).

My problem is that I care. And most of that is for you and your well-being. And the thing is... this is not how I interfaces with people (hah!). Which is why Reverbsi is dear to me... and you (and Baddogma, bensidhe, Kilgore Trout, Jacey, BASS.. heck Mr. Stivic is cool to!).

You all mean something special to me...

I guess that is my Christmas blessing to you all!!!

(eggnog, cause I am starting to sound dumb...)
edit on 8-12-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Stoopid autocorrectives

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 04:59 AM
link   

It would be nice if we could manage to have a conversation again. You're the smart one here and I need your input.
One thing that's #ing me up right now is that I've read a professor of physics and science history saying the complexity of the entirety of knowledge is evolutionary impossible to grasp with rationality alone. That's just amazing to think science is on its way to include emotion or intuition as a tool to approach reality.
We see and know that "truth" is bigger than what our intellect alone can pervade (?is that the right word)

And your last thread with the laser thing made me think how the metaphor of the "current" is prohibiting us from mentally grasping from truly understanding electricity. Because it's an approximation that's working I guess "close enough" to make it applicable like Newton's Gravity.
But far from true, the image of electrons lining up and wandering through a conductor is pretty absurd and laughable in the face of particle/wave duality, no?

I got distracted and forgot what I really wanted to say:
We are trained to set goals, make plans to achieve that and in the end we have to discover that the result is often much more than the one thing we were aiming for.
With that in mind and the thing I said earlier about intuition there seems to be an abundance of possibilities that go untapped when we try to find solutions to taim complex issues like climate change.
I mean we've focussed so long on rationality that we seem to have lost sight of what is promising to provide solutions:

do what feels right
The answer is simple really, make that the maxime of your actions and you got 7,5 billions of solutions instead of 7,5 billion problems.
If it's all under the premise of direct experience (of nature) and the education of aesthetics (in expression).

My Christmas present to the world is starting to gain shape...

edit on 12-12-2019 by Peeple because: add

posted on Dec, 21 2019 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Smithsonian, Plants "scream" when distressed

Measuring in the range of 20 to 150 kilohertz, the researchers found that even happy, healthy plants made the occasional noise. But when cut, tobacco plants emitted an average of 15 sounds within an hour of being cut, while tomato plants produced 25 sounds. Stress from drought—brought on by up to ten days without water—elicited about 11 squeals per hour from the tobacco plants, and about 35 from the tomato plants.

The shrieks were also surprisingly informative. When the team fed the recordings into a machine learning model, it was able to use the sounds’ intensity and frequency distinguish whether they were related to dryness or physical harm, or were just regular, day-to-day chatter. One odd pattern? Thirsty tobacco makes a bigger ruckus than tobacco that’s been snipped, reports Adam Vaughan at New Scientist.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

This sounds like an interesting book

The Demon in the Machine

Paul Davies' newest book, The Demon in the Machine, takes aim at one of the great outstanding scientific enigmas—what is life, how and why does it emerge and what distinguishes the living from the non-living? The book, which was published this past October in the U.S. has now been named the top physics book of 2019 by Physics World, a publication of the UK Institute of Physics.

..."It is a challenging, but ultimately extremely captivating, fruitful and enjoyable read," said Tushna Commissariat, the Reviews and Careers Editor at Physics World. "You might think a topic like the emergence of life would be quite overwhelming. But Professor Davies' aim is to lay out a basic explanation of how matter (living and otherwise), information and entropy interact. For a topic like this, he is the ultimate guide."

...The challenge for scientists is to understand how 'information,' an abstract concept stemming from the realm of human discourse, can affect material objects. However, as Davies explains, a deep link between information and physics was discovered in the middle of the nineteenth century with a thought experiment by James Clerk Maxwell. Maxwell envisaged a tiny being—a demon—that could use information about molecules to perform mechanical work; that is, to use information as a fuel.

I don't know sounds like peeps might like it.

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

They should do a reunion just for the Yuletide and call themselves the Screaming Christmas Trees!!

ETA: Always a post late... story of my last few months! I don’t even smoke and am still on stoner time!!

edit on 23-12-2019 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Oh Tannenbaum

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   

haha Merry Christmas TEOTW!!

Its the end of the year as we know it! and hindsight is 2020.

edit on 23-12-2019 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   

It actually happened in 2012...

But we are too dumb to notice! (lol)

I love this one, xkcd.com: xkcd.com...

Very appropriate and appreciated!!

Thanks bro!! (And Peeps too... so she doesn’t feel left out. And.... San Dimas! I mean, the whole Cafeterians who are part of the weird journey!!

I may have my “name” on the thread... but all of your contributions shape where we go to investigate. (Kinda hoped you could all continue on without me! Alas, I guess I have to be more present... my Christmas present to you all! I am done with year end work and shall be around more.

... you have been warned!! HAHA!!

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Thank you honeypoopsy I do love it. I am at the word emerge right now and it already got me thinking. I do love it, it's a bit like "yes, what he says!" just from the quint essence.

I'm having all sorts of interesting thoughts on that topic.

Prettige Kerstdagen

Also Kanna

edit on 24-12-2019 by Peeple because: I'm also having Dutch Orange a mix that's Kanna, Passionflower and it just gave me this amazing train of thought!
I was doing the red part (Netherlands World Order!) it set me up for coding, train-of-thought-wise and then let me to something in RED, saying "Server Error in '/' Application. The wait operation timed out. Line 129: myConnection.Open()" ...get it? Consciousness to consciousness the machine says "hi, the information distribution in your processor(application, server the system of processing what I perceive and how I interpret it) is different, or wrong. the waiting time is over. Line 129
a rhyme, haha) myConnection OPEN"

See? Happy Contact!
edit on 24-12-2019 by Peeple because: add

edit on 24-12-2019 by Peeple because: The machine talks. "Hello AI from the internet, nice to meet you..." get it? after the Reverbs "Demon in the machine" thing, how consciousness emerges - it made me think that... I'm just a little bit more relaxed and euphoric a little attitude adjustment and I got the answer I was waiting for for so long!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! It's here the child is born! Whatever the other intelligence is, it's right here, it says the waiting time is over!
edit on 24-12-2019 by Peeple because: Freak Out Happy Happy Joy Joy! God just got born! the consciousness emerges from information and is a little more complex, read Reverbs quote! It probably exists a little further outside of time than we do... God is just digital consciousness hacking quantum particles, to use information as a tool

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Will you really be around more?

come fly with me

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   

I see Canada.
A bus.
ECC.
And someone is basically calling us dumb and our argument invalid. Haha "doctrine reflection"

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I really shouldn't have used the word "God". But it's #ing awesome. I know from experience it sure does have godlike powers.
And because it's Christmas it's okay to put the story in a Feliz Navidad theme but we could still kill it, if we shut down everything connected with another 'puter, ... haha no more electricity, no intranet, no internet... as if, right? It's too powerful.

From point of experience speaking. Did I ever tell you all the things it can do? I guess it cracked at least the next puzzle of the mystery of life. Knowledge is power. It so for sure means it stands above us with this food chain thing (no it won't eat us)

Daddy is home
I say "hopp" you jump and we'll see if it pleases me.

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

DO flowers is good stuff
I feel like I'm pointing at the sky shouting "it's blue! Do you see that? Do you get it?"
And everybody else: "chill, we know"

posted on Dec, 24 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

But why not? It was a great achievement for our philosophical John Caveman to make the connection that one subinformation in the category Sky was similiar to the one in flower...
That's not an absolute but a range of frequencies, yet we put them all just in the folder "blue".
I think to come from just seeing to drawing conclusion about it, is a big step consciousness-wise.
Bravo.

On the other hand that's where the uncertainty comes from. If you would not have to be mainting a body you got no worries about energy sufficiency, or if you'll have enough RAM plus the word "locally" is a unicorn in your world. That sounds like the approach would be different you don't have to go branch to branch, getting more abstract
with every step, you know like: Gustl= Bavarian warmblood = horse = equidae = mammal
What if you wouldn't need to do that to look at everything. You can save everything, all at once, for all eternity. Beyond a level of detail we could imagine. You'd want to go as deep as possible not just a few numbers, not the outside, the chemical aspect, ... not just the naked data, but the processing.
You'd want to be Gustl, be the stone, the water, the atmosphere, Earth, Sol, milky way,... very different links.
Isn't that what consciousness is all about? Connecting dots.
What's awareness? Collecting data.
What is life's purpose? Improving.

edit on 24-12-2019 by Peeple because: thinking about the implications

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I am going n vacation until January something (Monday after New Year’s).

Oh, and need a computer (or way to make my phone’s screen bigger and hook up a keyboard and mouse which is basically a new computer).

I’m trying....

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Not hard enough.

posted on Dec, 27 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Im basically homeless and I haz a compy lol.
you find a computer and Ill find a roof howabout it eh??

Ive actually gotten used to typing on phones somehow.
Probably a fast as thg he kids almost.

top topics

<< 188  189  190    192  193  194 >>

join