It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 16

page: 161
<< 158  159  160    162  163  164 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

...There's something missing from that breakfast. A few cans of cheap lager....

ETA: And Gordi, do not confuse humour for ridicule...

Eh?
Which bit... the accents thing or the lager?? LOL

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Hi Gordi!

How is it across the pond today?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

A comedy vid I posted earlier here examining the different type of Scottish accents. I guess you missed it.

ETA: Sorry Shep, I wasn't ignoring anyone, just had a few dark days here. Without going into too much detail, I was down to 2 rolling papers (I roll my own, cheaper). I had 12 cents to my name and a packet of papers costs 35. Bummer. Especially when you have tobacco!

edit on 30/8/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarity

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

....just had a few dark days here. Without going into too much detail, I was down to an empty kitchen (no food, no drink) and today I ended up with only 2 rolling papers (I roll my own, cheaper). I had 12 cents to my name and a packet of papers costs 35.

Sorry to hear that Light. No cigs suck. Well food and drink is important too but....
Any way, we have a rather unique support system in The Shed, I don't know if you are familiar with it? But we ask each other for moral support and more.
So I will take the liberty to send prayers and wishes of abundance your way.

It works. I have been here long enough to prove its efficiency. "Ask and you shall receive" Perhaps not "caviar" but to me knowing that every one is pulling with me is a huge comfort.
You are in one of the 'dams' Rotter or Amster right?
The "Seamans Missions" in those cities are very welcoming to the less fortunate. They even serve beer.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: PrairieShepherd

Hi Gordi!
How is it across the pond today?

Hi Shep,
Yeah, it's not too bad... weather is in-betweeny! Work is slow.
It was my youngest boys 8th birthday today, so that was fun.

How's things with you today?

G

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

A comedy vid I posted earlier here examining the different type of Scottish accents. I guess you missed it.

Hi Light,
Oh that one, yeah I saw it.
TBH - I don't usually mind Al Murray, but I do find some of his stuff to be a bit... insensitive?
Some of his accents are pretty close to the mark, but his material grates me a wee bit...
Referring to Scots as "Jocks" is a definite No No. (Unless you are Scottish yourself, it's a wee bit like the N word used BY African Americans but NOT aimed AT them!)
Implying that all we ever do is moan about "English B*stards" (in any of up to 4 accents) is very dated, patronising and condescending IMHO.
But, I'm not easily offended or upset (in any way shape or form!) and the Scots are renowned for being able to laugh at themselves, so no worries.

G

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

No worries LightSpeed - it's all good!

All work and no play. I have been bitshifting for hours, and all 7 of my brain cells are seriously TIRED! Eyes starting to go crosseyed, etc. Luckily the beer-bell rings in 9 minutes and counting...

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
BTW y'all, I posted episode 114 of Falling. As always you can use the URL in my signature to get to the very beginning, or you can use this link to go directly to the newest episode: Falling: An Epic Fantasy - A Straight Line

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd

Oooh, I forgot to mention... I had a wee band practice earlier with my new bandmate.
BlonnaHooley are now back in rehearsals and will be gigging again soon!

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Awesome! On both things. Time for Shep to head out - TTYL Shed-peeps!

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

You spread love and joy all the time silly girl! Man, I was in such a rush this morning, I missed that grand breakfast!

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

OMG, I love English accents! Loved your video too! LOL

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd

Looks like you will be busier than ever Shep! Good to see you are still inspired and writing! I think my muse is on strike or something.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Gordi,

Hi Shep,
Yeah, it's not too bad... weather is in-betweeny! Work is slow.
It was my youngest boys 8th birthday today, so that was fun.

How's things with you today?

G

In- betweeny. LOL! I love that! Put it in our Shed dictionary for future reference.

A very Happy Birthday to our darling boy! I'm sure it was a great one!

ETA Oh yay for the band!

edit on 30-8-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I didn't forget you Timeley! Waves from across the pond!

Had a very busy day out today and now I'm sore as hell and tired. I was very pleased to see that people were actually in here posting and having fun.

Pesky was driving me crazy with her endless bombardment of questions about where everyone was, what they were doing, asking if they were ok etc. Ok, ok, I was wondering too. Wolf kept running through the forest searching for folks. Hugo and Storm flew around the grounds and took off even further to try and find people. Jojopo, well the goblin just wished everyone would calm down and be patient. So yeah...great to see everyone!

Love, light and magic, -The Elf

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

You keep re-educating me Gordi, I had no idea that Jock was considered a derogatory term. I just remember the Jock's and the Geordie's being a name. My bad!

As for insensitive, yes. It's humour and, when I watched a whole show of his on youtube, he is basically ridiculing the English and their attitudes and misconceived ideas about their world-view. Speaking as an exiled Englishman, I can assure you that quite a few consider England to be the centre of the civilised world. Something I only realised after moving to Holland. It's amazing sometimes how you realise how wrong you were when you see how other people do things.

One silly example. Pub/alcohol related violence. Except for one or two notable exceptions (usually the youth), it is practically unheard of here. You won't find Accident and Emergency being inundated with drunks in Holland on a Friday night. The Dutch seem to just don't do that kind of thing.

ETA: Well, I guess I earned latrine duty again... do people have a preference for Forest Pine or Ocean Spray in their cleaning products?
edit on 31/8/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Hope you are in fine fettle Night !

A big g'day to all of the shedifarians !

( except Gordi .. he gets a big och aye ! )

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely
a reply to: Night Star

Hope you are in fine fettle Night !
A big g'day to all of the shedifarians !
( except Gordi .. he gets a big och aye ! )

What do you call a Scottish Native American Indian?

"Hawkeye" the Noo!

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Good morfternoon Sheddites, from a sleepy snoozy Shepherd.

MOAR COFFEE NOW!

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

You keep re-educating me Gordi, I had no idea that Jock was considered a derogatory term. I just remember the Jock's and the Geordie's being a name. My bad!...

...ETA: Well, I guess I earned latrine duty again... do people have a preference for Forest Pine or Ocean Spray in their cleaning products?

No worries at all Light,
Jock, means a lot to many of us Scots (but not all). It is used as a brotherly term to unite & bond us, like the old saying: "We're aw Jock Tamson's Bairns" (meaning we are "as one").

But when used to describe us by non-Scots (usually only the English to be fair...) it somehow sounds derogatory, like a put-down? (I presume that you are aware of what "charming" cockney rhyming slang term is used for that particular word?? - Not nice at all.)

I have been to Holland myself, and loved the laid-back attitude in the bars.
Isn't it amazing how we're all the same but wired differently?? LOL

G

new topics

top topics

<< 158  159  160    162  163  164 >>

join